NWSL in Los Angeles

I think Banc
Baxter in the LA Times said the new NWSL team is in negotiations with the Galaxy

https://www.latimes.com/sports/socc...nership-group-for-nwsl-expansion-team-in-2022

The franchise, which is using Angel City as its tentative nickname, is in discussions with several potential venue partners and hopes to announce both a venue partner and a permanent name by the end of the year. The Galaxy confirmed they are in conversations with Uhrman. The MLS team shared an owner and a stadium with the Sol, the last first-division women’s team to play in Southern California, before that team disbanded after one season in 2010. Women’s Professional Soccer, the league the Sol played in, folded two years later

One of the people listed as an “owner” is the head coach at UCLA.
Is that allowed? Could Coach K have an ownership stake in the Charlotte Hornets?

One of the people listed as an “owner” is the head coach at UCLA.
Is that allowed? Could Coach K have an ownership stake in the Charlotte Hornets?
I don't see why there would be an issue. The pros draft. So I do not see this as a recruiting advantage. Plus I am sure she ran this by her compliance office.

I don't see why there would be an issue. The pros draft. So I do not see this as a recruiting advantage. Plus I am sure she ran this by her compliance office.
Probably true. I was thinking along the lines of a recruit or player that has the chance to go pro prior to graduation.
2 recent UCLA players come to mind - Mallory Pugh and Ashley Sanchez.
Would she steer them to play for the LA NWSL team or stay in school?

Probably true. I was thinking along the lines of a recruit or player that has the chance to go pro prior to graduation.
2 recent UCLA players come to mind - Mallory Pugh and Ashley Sanchez.
Would she steer them to play for the LA NWSL team or stay in school?
Good point. But, those two were drafted so she could not have steered them to LA NWSL (had it existed at the time).

bring in Amy Rodriguez.

and I hope they play somewhere other than diggs or banc. dumbass MLS fans are already saying "I won't go to X". I hope they play somewhere temporary while they look for an appropriately sized permanent venue.

bring in Amy Rodriguez.

and I hope they play somewhere other than diggs or banc. dumbass MLS fans are already saying "I won't go to X". I hope they play somewhere temporary while they look for an appropriately sized permanent venue.
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) is the top-tier professional women's soccer league in the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, the 2019 season saw an average 7,337 spectators among the 9 teams, the highest average attendance in league history. Its overall attendance in 2019 was also its highest ever, with 792,409 total. The NWSL has the highest average attendance per game among all women's professional sports leagues in the United States.

bring in Amy Rodriguez.

That’s ironic since the entire LAFC supporters group waived “Bring NWSL to LA” flags and banners at every game I attended.

Banc is a great venue and would benefit from them being there. Crowds would need time to build.

You hit the nail on the head with “dumbass”.

bring in Amy Rodriguez.

They'll draw higher than Portland Thorns, who pull about 20k per game, so that really narrows down the options. SoFi is turf and is also owned by Kroenke so I would consider that out. Where else would you put them? Double-headers at Chavez?

My guess is that the attraction of working with AEG is they could get practice space, back office staff sharing with the Galaxy and Kings, dedicated locker rooms (I think the Chargers build-out provided more locker room space), and the availability of both the Track stadium (now 5,000 capacity) and the main stadium, for games, all in one location. Banc of California doesn't really offer any of those things.

It's also possible LAFC's owners haven't shown interest in cutting the NWSL group much of a deal because they're still trying to pay off some of their stadium debt while AEG might be willing to be a partner.

The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) is the top-tier professional women's soccer league in the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, the 2019 season saw an average 7,337 spectators among the 9 teams, the highest average attendance in league history. Its overall attendance in 2019 was also its highest ever, with 792,409 total. The NWSL has the highest average attendance per game among all women's professional sports leagues in the United States.

Great stat - did not know..

Back