NWSL Draft

Once you drop out of UCLA and Stanford do you just get to go back and finish your degree at anytime? Not so sure about that - am curious what the actual rules are about that. Seems like if you withdraw from school then you would have to reapply and likely would not meet the admissions bar just as a basic student
Most likely yes. You can generally take a leave of absence for a year or two (depending upon the school). If you’re out more than the leave of absence time, it’s up to the school and is case by case. A student who leaves in good standing for special circumstances like playing in the Olympics or a World Cup would probably be readmitted.

That is when someone is taking a brief leave of absence. Do you think these players are just leaving to play pro for a year or two then going back to college? I doubt that is the plan. If you leave to play pro then why wouldn’t you play professionally until you aged out? Otherwise what is the point? If MP doesn’t get selected for the final roster will she then try to go back to UCLA to finish her degree? It doesn’t sound right that they keep that door open indefinitely. Also, once you leave the rigors of college it isn’t so easy to return with all the other life circumstances and demands on you. Also, neither AS or SS got selected for the concacaf roster so why would they get selected for the Olympic roster??

i've been writing for some time that MP and AMorgan are the least deserving to be on that team--if looking at soccer skill/production. That opinion hasn't been a popular one with some folks here, but I'm just being candid with my thoughts. With a NWSL trade, a #1 draft of SS, and now this cut, my MP thoughts are beginning to be supported in reality. It's kinda sad for her really...skipping out on UCLA is looking like a big mistake. Maybe she will bounce back? I'm not too confident of that though.

As for AM, I'm hoping that Lynn Williams and Jess McDonald pick up the Morgan minutes and not Carli Lloyd, who should be on this roster only for a final goodbye. The only player on this list that I will quibble with is Ali Krieger -- she has no foot-skills for a team that wants to now possess the ball, so not sure why she keeps making the team other than to keep her foul-mouthed recently wedded spouse company. Glad to see Andi Sullivan making the cut. If Lavelle gets hurt, which she often does, Heath will have to play the 10 with this roster.

You heard it here first...Sophia Smith will slowly replace Mal Pugh. More skill, more confidence, and just as fast. A couple years developing at UCLA would have benefit MP. Good lesson for younger girls.

Maybe it's the glaucoma talking but I don't see Mallory Pugh blowing by people anymore. Once that happened (womanhood?), she just became average at that level, in my mind.

Plus housing, plus the potential for allocation money in the second and subsequent years.

It’s not a way to get rich for women, but it’s becoming possible to support yourself while playing, which is progress. To get paid enough to live while playing the game you love and trying for a chance to represent your country is a dream come true for many. Many of those players are trying to help grow the game too. Stanford and UCLA will still be there afterwards for them.

Yes, but how are you paying for Stanford and UCLA on $46k a year. Do they hold scholarship years for them?

i've been writing for some time that MP and AMorgan are the least deserving to be on that team--if looking at soccer skill/production. That opinion hasn't been a popular one with some folks here, but I'm just being candid with my thoughts. With a NWSL trade, a #1 draft of SS, and now this cut, my MP thoughts are beginning to be supported in reality. It's kinda sad for her really...skipping out on UCLA is looking like a big mistake. Maybe she will bounce back? I'm not too confident of that though.

As for AM, I'm hoping that Lynn Williams and Jess McDonald pick up the Morgan minutes and not Carli Lloyd, who should be on this roster only for a final goodbye. The only player on this list that I will quibble with is Ali Krieger -- she has no foot-skills for a team that wants to now possess the ball, so not sure why she keeps making the team other than to keep her foul-mouthed recently wedded spouse company. Glad to see Andi Sullivan making the cut. If Lavelle gets hurt, which she often does, Heath will have to play the 10 with this roster.

Agree on Pugh, but Morgan and Rapinoe both scored 6 goals the last time out. 3 were PKs for Rapinoe but she got all the recognition. You tell me. Who is a more accomplished striker than Morgan? It's not Rapinoe... who would rather take a shitty shot and make it about her these days. # of assists was comparable. It's not Press... who is fast but never finishes. Krieger is there because of her toughness and maturity. That defense is particularly suspect right now and moving Ertz up meant having to replace Ertz.

Even making $46,000 the financial aid need based formula for a public school would require you to pay a significant portion of your income first before getting aid. Maybe she was a 4.0 high school high test score student and would requalify for academic aid.

Even making $46,000 the financial aid need based formula for a public school would require you to pay a significant portion of your income first before getting aid. Maybe she was a 4.0 high school high test score student and would requalify for academic aid.

I thought we were talking about Stanford, the "west coast ivy".

Having a hard time with reality today?

No, it's very much like every other day. The liberals haven't gotten over losing the election and people that worked hard and are successful will be paying the tab for those that don't. And that's not just when it comes to free healthcare for illegal aliens, Espy.

Back