NorCal Surf Soccer Club

Highlander

SILVER ELITE
This is interesting...these Surf guys are certainly shaking things up out there.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I don’t have anything really against Surf. But i don’t love the business model it seems they are using. I personally love our local community club. Also, I have not seen much improvements from the clubs they took over. The first year they took over one of the clubs in our area everyone was talking it up how they are getting these amazing coaches. People were flocking there. Next tryouts, mass exodus.

Ya, at the end of the day you have to deliver. And comes down to pulling in good coaches and great parents. I see soccer clubs like schools...you can have good teachers but if you don't have good parents you are still going to have a bad school.

I could be wrong on this, but isn't Surf attracting clubs by offering club management software in exchange for purchases on their vendor contract? Basically, they are purchasing SportsEngine licenses for their affiliates in exchange for the requirement of those clubs to achieve a certain "spend" under the Surf uniform and merchandise contract.

This new "club" is probably just a new set of kits for the kids. I'm sure they will train with their existing club with occasional odp/pdp style camps sprinkled in. They'll probably be invited to a Surf Cup with the opportunity to purchase "Norcal Select" kit.

It would be interesting to know where the margin on the merchandise goes...does any of it go back to the clubs, or does it all go back to some Surf merchandising entity?

Ya, no idea on that. Every club has the same uniform setup, so no doubt there will be that angle just like all the rest. I do think its a cool model where kids interested and good enough can play/train every now and then with this new NorCal club and play in some tournaments...but spend most of their time with their local club. Makes sense to me.

There is flat membership fee paid to surf yearly. On top of that, Surf gets a kick back for the uniforms for allowing them into their events and creating a few opportunities like this?? Easy money for Surf. If you're a club like Folso lake surrounded by a top level club like SJ, it's a decent idea to be with surf to sell something to your parents. Otherwise, would have very little in comparison. At the end of the day, coaching levels and playing league/opportunities should win out always.

This looks attractive in part because we don't have a good system of regional all star teams. Just talking youngers. I will let others talk about the merits, or lack of merit, of ODP and PDP.

But, same as anyone else, parents of youngers want someone to tell us our kid made the all star team, and Surf is happy to oblige, for a price.

This looks attractive in part because we don't have a good system of regional all star teams. Just talking youngers. I will let others talk about the merits, or lack of merit, of ODP and PDP.

But, same as anyone else, parents of youngers want someone to tell us our kid made the all star team, and Surf is happy to oblige, for a price.

News flash for you - all youth soccer and "opportunities" within is about the $$$ in the US.

That said, I have a buddy whose daughter does dance. What I pay for soccer pales in comparison to what he is paying for his daughters dance classes. I mean not even close! LMAO

There is flat membership fee paid to surf yearly. On top of that, Surf gets a kick back for the uniforms for allowing them into their events and creating a few opportunities like this?? Easy money for Surf. If you're a club like Folso lake surrounded by a top level club like SJ, it's a decent idea to be with surf to sell something to your parents. Otherwise, would have very little in comparison. At the end of the day, coaching levels and playing league/opportunities should win out always.

Out of curiosity, how much is the membership fee? I thought they weren't charging affiliates, but that must be old news.

For Folsom, I wonder if the "tax" on the club is more or less than what they paid to the Earthquakes.

Things like this fake club are better than the bs the mls and epl clubs were spinning. Them with their their " regional development centers " and such. At least this is something to get kids from different clubs together. I've always thought guest playing was a positive. They just formalized and monetized what was already happening.

Out of curiosity, how much is the membership fee? I thought they weren't charging affiliates, but that must be old news.

For Folsom, I wonder if the "tax" on the club is more or less than what they paid to the Earthquakes.

Things like this fake club are better than the bs the mls and epl clubs were spinning. Them with their their " regional development centers " and such. At least this is something to get kids from different clubs together. I've always thought guest playing was a positive. They just formalized and monetized what was already happening.
Nice perk for their top players. This way, the top kids can go to a big travel tourney without having to jump ship to an MLS or ECNL club.

The limitation is the top kid doesn’t actually practice with other top kids. They still practice with the same silver or gold level kids who make up most norcal Surf affiliates.

It's just like what France does for their national team, Mbappe played with his local club all through his youth years and would travel once a month to practice with other regional Allstars. Read a funny story about this, his dad didn't care about the Allstar team...all he cared about is the local club and that they beat their rivals. Much better model for top players IMHO - play local and travel once a month to play with the best.

I can only speak for the girls side but not sure how much this actually benefits the Earthquakes- they have a very nice facility/field and are located in a very nice area. While their top teams were good, I just don't see the ages that I was familiar with playing anything above a Gold/Premier level. I'm not saying that's a negative thing- they had some fine players, but there is no way they will compete with some of the top SJ/Placer/Blues teams.

To be fair- competing with SJ is tough for most teams

Back