#12 MVLA
#23 Mustang
#42 San Juan
#45 Davis
#63 Placer
#64 Lamorinda
#90 Clovis
#93 California Thorns

Weren't NorCal clubs much higher ranked in the past? Seems like we are going down hill in terms of NorCal rankings versus the rest of the country. What gives? Some how told me that with NorCal Premier letting so many clubs in that it's diluting the talent...not sure if that is true or not but could be a reason. Thoughts?

This is a good conversation piece: SoccerWire 2021 Club rankings

NorCal Clubs on the list:
#3 FC Bay Area
#12 MVLA
#23 Mustang
#42 San Juan
#45 Davis
#63 Placer
#64 Lamorinda
#90 Clovis
#93 California Thorns

Weren't NorCal clubs much higher ranked in the past? Seems like we are going down hill in terms of NorCal rankings versus the rest of the country. What gives? Some how told me that with NorCal Premier letting so many clubs in that it's diluting the talent...not sure if that is true or not but could be a reason. Thoughts?
The reason is those teams haven't played!

I think it’s a little from column A and a little from column B. NorCal Premier has definitely diluted the talent by letting in so many clubs. There are 7 NorCal clubs in a 10 mile radius from me. Easily doubled for 20 miles. And there are more that are not in NorCal Premier. Hopefully with games starting up soon we will see a better placement from our clubs up here.

#3 FC Bay Area
#12 MVLA
#23 Mustang
#42 San Juan
#45 Davis
#63 Placer
#64 Lamorinda
#90 Clovis
#93 California Thorns

WOW! Soccer wire should really update that list there. Not accurate!

Also didn't seem to affect the SoCal teams. Also, I know most top level clubs in NorCal have been playing out of state this entire time.

Also didn't seem to affect the SoCal teams. Also, I know most top level clubs in NorCal have been playing out of state this entire time.
That may be true, but if the games are unofficial, they do not get reflected in soccer wire rankings.

Take a look at ysr. Only 2004 teams are shown for norcal. No one else has had enough reported games for their algorithm to work.

No one will have decent rankings until we have all had some games. Except me. My kid’s team is clearly the best in norcal.

I guess soccerwire has become the end all be all of youth soccer. Hold on while I finalize socerwired.com. That will take over soon. Stay tuned!! :)

Given their apparent criteria that YSR rankings are an important component, it begs the question for why Beach is ranked so highly. I can hardly find any Beach teams on there in any age group from U14-19.

I can only assume Soccer Wire is taking some creative license given the lack of games played over the past year (which I suppose they should do or the rankings will look very odd), but then that begs the question for why clubs like Tophat or Lonestar are still ranked so high after a slew of top player defections to ECNL clubs and less than stellar recent game results (compared to prior years).

#3 FC Bay Area
#12 MVLA
#23 Mustang
#42 San Juan
#45 Davis
#63 Placer
#64 Lamorinda
#90 Clovis
#93 California Thorns

How can FC Bay Area make it to number 3 if the club was only formed in August of 2020 and they have never played proper competition? You can't make this stuff up.

How can FC Bay Area make it to number 3 if the club was only formed in August of 2020 and they have never played proper competition? You can't make this stuff up.
They do have like 10 girls on the 04 YNT and a couple on the 05 and probably some on the 06, but yes no actual games being played seems like it should limit the club wide ranking of a club so young :)

I can totally make this stuff up.

Dad's soccer rankings:

1- Pink Unicorns

2- Solar

3- PDA

4- Top Hat

9999- Purple Puppies, and their stupid coach Bob Schmiedermann.

See? Easy to make this stuff up.

WOW! Soccer wire should really update that list there. Not accurate!
With the big WOW! -- I would be curious what your ranking would be -- I know I would move MVLA up and Thorns (now Force ) up, but the rest I am not sure. FC Bay Area would probably need to stay near the top based on history. Again ranking things with no games is difficult because who knows about player movement in the last year.

Ya, rankings are just fun to talk about. There is zero doubt though that in the big scheme of things SoCal >>> NorCal at the moment when it comes to youth soccer.

OK, all that said, there is a BIG part of me that laughs about the fact that such rankings even exist for youth soccer. Even funnier / sadder that I find it interesting! LMAO

Come on, there's no way Purple Unicorns are number one, Orange Crush beat them 7-6 in the last jamboree outing. Maybe that was due to Purple Unicorns star striker getting her shoe untied and having to run to mom & dad, but who cares, Orange Crush needs to be higher on that list.

Back