Nor Cal Return to Play

Same here except masked. But I am curious about the players who have not been attending. I have to assume they will continue to stay away.

I obviously can’t speak for the entire club, but for the teams I’m familiar with- the top teams for the age groups have shown up the entire time. But the B teams struggled getting commitments and attendance. But I don’t really know if that would have been for health reasons or other concerns. I’m thinking once games are put on Team Snap more players will start showing up.

There is this gem in the CDPH guidance. No testing required
  • For sport participants 13 years of age or above as evidence shows that younger children do not seem to be major sources of transmission—either to each other or to adults.
What does that say about schools?
Same here except masked. But I am curious about the players who have not been attending. I have to assume they will continue to stay away.
I see what you mean. I definitely think there is a subset of families that are only remotely training and still won't feel comfortable with in person play. I do not share those concerns, but I also respect their decision. I have often wondered what percentage of kids just won't return.

There is this gem in the CDPH guidance. No testing required
  • For sport participants 13 years of age or above as evidence shows that younger children do not seem to be major sources of transmission—either to each other or to adults.
What does that say about schools?
Perhaps that's why CA has allowed K-6 to return to school in purple tiers already. They are clearly drawing the line at 7th grade ( 13 and older) and imposing more stringent requirements such as weekly testing for outdoor high contact sports like soccer.

Great news. So pretty much all the counties are moving ahead I’m assuming. Our club in Contra Costa is arranging scrimmages for this weekend.

Great news. So pretty much all the counties are moving ahead I’m assuming. Our club in Contra Costa is arranging scrimmages for this weekend.
This is great news -- a question I have -- didn't read the mercury news article, but read a bit of the guidance which I am assuming was referenced in the article. There is a bit in there about playing in county or next to county games -- what about those players that live in multiple counties away, but play for teams in Santa Clara/San Mateo Counties?

You mean, what works in all the other states also works in CA? Who knew?

It’s interesting that people here complained about restrictions when most other states were doing much worse than CA, then CA starts to open up and the death rate starts to climb, yet people think what other states have been doing “works”.

What they really mean is that they don’t care how many people need to die for their daughter to play their kiddie sport.

Exactly. Our friends in Nashville have been playing this whole time. Tournaments in Indianapolis and Atlanta as well as local games. No reported infections.

Tennessee and Georgia have some of the highest Covid-19 death rates in the country.

This is great news -- a question I have -- didn't read the mercury news article, but read a bit of the guidance which I am assuming was referenced in the article. There is a bit in there about playing in county or next to county games -- what about those players that live in multiple counties away, but play for teams in Santa Clara/San Mateo Counties?
It looks like it is based on the county of the team, not the county of the player.

So, if your kid is in Hollister and plays for Quakes, they can still play. Quakes are in SCC, and SCC is open for outdoor sports.

On the other hand, if your kid is in Gilroy and plays for Hollister Tremors, they have to wait until San Benito County is open.

There is a bit in there about playing in county or next to county games
Good that they are opening up. But instead of celebrating the passing around of crumbs, one must demand getting rid of the nonsensical rules.

So covid wise it would be safe traveling to an adjacent country. But if you go one further away, suddenly the specter of covid arises? Where pray tell do they find the science/data behind that one?

Good that they are opening up. But instead of celebrating the passing around of crumbs, one must demand getting rid of the nonsensical rules.

So covid wise it would be safe traveling to an adjacent country. But if you go one further away, suddenly the specter of covid arises? Where pray tell do they find the science/data behind that one?
County...not country.

New state numbers are out today.

Most of Norcal is now under 14. Remaining counties are in the central valley. most of them should make it in 1-2 weeks.

Have fun at the games.

Back