Nor Cal Return to Play

This is great news -- a question I have -- didn't read the mercury news article, but read a bit of the guidance which I am assuming was referenced in the article. There is a bit in there about playing in county or next to county games -- what about those players that live in multiple counties away, but play for teams in Santa Clara/San Mateo Counties?
Great question!! I have the same one. We were informed that county is defined by where players reside (???)...so how will this be interpreted?

Great question!! I have the same one. We were informed that county is defined by where players reside (???)...so how will this be interpreted?

From the 2/19 guidance update:

"Inter-Team competition and tournaments are permitted only if (a) both teams are located in the same county and the sport is authorized; or (b) teams are located in immediately bordering counties and the sport is authorized in both counties. Finally, no tournaments or events that involve more than two teams to occur"

Teams are defined in the county where they are registered or play not where the players reside. Clarified that with USclub previous before all this. For example Slammers is registered in Newport Beach which is in Orange County. The draw in players from LA and SD counties and those players can play this weekend in league games since OC meets the guidance threshold.

Testing not required for soccer according to this clarification.
Teams are defined in the county where they are registered or play not where the players reside. Clarified that with USclub previous before all this. For example Slammers is registered in Newport Beach which is in Orange County. The draw in players from LA and SD counties and those players can play this weekend in league games since OC meets the guidance threshold.
I don’t agree with this. I would ask USClub to put it in writing. Something tells me that they won’t though.

From the 2/19 guidance update:

"Inter-Team competition and tournaments are permitted only if (a) both teams are located in the same county and the sport is authorized; or (b) teams are located in immediately bordering counties and the sport is authorized in both counties. Finally, no tournaments or events that involve more than two teams to occur"

This is a really interesting question because so many players cross county lines already just to train with their teams. If county were defined by where players reside, that would leave clubs room to schedule games against more teams in more counties I would think. Both my DD’s teams have players from multiple counties.

This is a really interesting question because so many players cross county lines already just to train with their teams. If county were defined by where players reside, that would leave clubs room to schedule games against more teams in more counties I would think. Both my DD’s teams have players from multiple counties.
In addition to looking at the plain meaning of the rule, it may also help to consider why the rule was enacted. If kids from 5 different counties were allowed to play on one team, wouldn’t this run counter to the legislative intent of the rule?

It seems to me that restrictions have been put in place to limit exposure. Allowing kids from multiple counties on one team increases exposure and therefore it’s prohibited under the current rule.

In addition to looking at the plain meaning of the rule, it may also help to consider why the rule was enacted. If kids from 5 different counties were allowed to play on one team, wouldn’t this run counter to the legislative intent of the rule?

It seems to me that restrictions have been put in place to limit exposure. Allowing kids from multiple counties on one team increases exposure and therefore it’s prohibited under the current rule.
Ya the people that wrote the guidance never even considered any of that because they only consulted with recreational sports reps when developing it.

Fine for unofficial games.

How is ECNL/ECRL handling the adjacent county restriction?
As I understand it, ECNL isn't. The gist of what they have said is that they will take whatever schedule the conferences give them based on what the teams in the conference believe they are allowed to do. With the exception of Showcases and playoffs, the ECNL has already halted inter-conference play for the rest of the season and inter-division play within the NW conference.

Good that they are opening up. But instead of celebrating the passing around of crumbs, one must demand getting rid of the nonsensical rules.

So covid wise it would be safe traveling to an adjacent country. But if you go one further away, suddenly the specter of covid arises? Where pray tell do they find the science/data behind that one?

Are you really this stupid or are you intentionally trying to sabotage the economy? The more people travel, the more it contributes to spread. Because adjacent counties tend to have similar positivity rates, it is much harder for people in high risk areas to transmit it to low risk ones if you’re only traveling to the next county. It is similarly harder for low risk areas to get it if people aren’t traveling to high risk ones. Also, people who travel long distances tend to have more interactions in which they can transmit it because they are often staying in hotels and going out. And, if course, dumbf**k parents inevitably spread it when the congregate at tournaments that draw people from long distances.

As I understand it, ECNL isn't. The gist of what they have said is that they will take whatever schedule the conferences give them based on what the teams in the conference believe they are allowed to do. With the exception of Showcases and playoffs, the ECNL has already halted inter-conference play for the rest of the season and inter-division play within the NW conference.

Pretty much and as far as what county a player may resides in not a practical matter or any concern. Official rosters and cards have names, dob, team, player number, etc and Usclub doesn't have any instructions to care about or even track a residents County.

Are you really this stupid or are you intentionally trying to sabotage the economy? The more people travel, the more it contributes to spread. Because adjacent counties tend to have similar positivity rates, it is much harder for people in high risk areas to transmit it to low risk ones if you’re only traveling to the next county. It is similarly harder for low risk areas to get it if people aren’t traveling to high risk ones. Also, people who travel long distances tend to have more interactions in which they can transmit it because they are often staying in hotels and going out. And, if course, dumbf**k parents inevitably spread it when the congregate at tournaments that draw people from long distances.
Did club soccer leadership just eat up Gavin Newsom’s fake? How are the big name clubs best teams even allowed to practice when they draw players from several different counties? I am aware of a team in NorCal that had players from Salinas, Modesto, San Jose, Oakland, Santa Rosa, and Marin a few years back. If this multiple county representation is typical for club teams, do clubs still have the same restrictions on playing and practicing?

Did club soccer leadership just eat up Gavin Newsom’s fake? How are the big name clubs best teams even allowed to practice when they draw players from several different counties? I am aware of a team in NorCal that had players from Salinas, Modesto, San Jose, Oakland, Santa Rosa, and Marin a few years back. If this multiple county representation is typical for club teams, do clubs still have the same restrictions on playing and practicing?
No. There is no such restriction. That was just your kind of crazy interpretation :p

No. There is no such restriction. That was just your kind of crazy interpretation :p
I would not want to be an ECNL director in California now. The fact that ECNL put out that “CYA” letter making it clear they’re not a clearinghouse and putting decisions entirely on clubs suggest to me that the leadership at ECNL agrees with my interpretation and is limiting their liability. Have we forgotten how litigious Californians are?

I the ECNL letter about CA play

...is up to the impacted Member Clubs for each particular competition.Member Clubs should comply with applicable health orders and rules in force where the Member Club is located and where the scheduled competition is located"

No restrictions from them about players county of residency or anything like that.

I would not want to be an ECNL director in California now. The fact that ECNL put out that “CYA” letter making it clear they’re not a clearinghouse and putting decisions entirely on clubs suggest to me that the leadership at ECNL agrees with my interpretation and is limiting their liability. Have we forgotten how litigious Californians are?
If you read between the lines on that letter, ECNL basically says that CA leadership is a joke so you guys are on your own.

No, ECNL did that because they don’t want to monitor the county by county restrictions for COMPETITION. It’s is a completely reasonable position when things are ever changing and when so many entities are involved (state and counties) .
That’s why they’re putting the letter out after the guidance for competition changed. Nobody has ever thought those restrictions were meant to limit training attendance, because they’re not.

Back