Non devisive music thread.

According to the Country Music documentary recently aired, as Merle Haggard's tour bus was passing through Muskogee, Merle remarked that he had family from that area. One of the band members said (after inhaling deeply and slowly) "I bet they don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee".

According to the Country Music documentary recently aired, as Merle Haggard's tour bus was passing through Muskogee, Merle remarked that he had family from that area. One of the band members said (after inhaling deeply and slowly) "I bet they don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee".

Not true.

That is one of the 'stories" told by band members and even Merle himself to bend to political pressures.
He later recanted, and said he wrote it after he got out of prison because he knew what it was like to lose freedom, and he was fed up with the attitude of some people in the country toward servicemen, and how some people had little regard or appreciation for the freedom they took for granted.
(paraphrasing what Ive gleaned from the topic over the years).

That is one of the 'stories" told by band members and even Merle himself to bend to political pressures.
He later recanted, and said he wrote it after he got out of prison because he knew what it was like to lose freedom, and he was fed up with the attitude of some people in the country toward servicemen, and how some people had little regard or appreciation for the freedom they took for granted.
(paraphrasing what Ive gleaned from the topic over the years).

The parody is so strong that many believe it was sincere.

(paraphrasing what I have heard over the years, plus the direct statements on the CM documentary)

Merle himself was interviewed many times throughout the documentary series.
He has told both accounts, and I believe he told whatever story the interviewer wanted to hear.
The song is a classic as a parody and as a serious commentary of the time.
How many songs can you say that about?

There was a great interview I watched years ago I cant find anywhere where he talks about Jonny Cash at San Quentin, and about Okie from Muskogee.

Back