No Spitting

Take my kid to keeper trainer on Monday, first thing they both do is spit into their gloves. Going to be a hard thing for keepers to stop.
Took my daughter to training and the first thing the trainer said is no spitting on gloves. I am with Eagle33....why not use water? My daughter always spits after a goal goes in as if the spitting would have prevented it. LOL

I agree with the water. I think it comes from the fact they make a save, feel the gloves weren't as sticky as they should be, don't have time to grab water, so they spit. Yep, a habit they need to stop.

My G03 doesn't spit in her gloves...EVER!! She keeps a water bottle next to the goal. Serves 3 purposes. To keep her gloves damp. To sip from. To share with her teammates. "No LIP..take a SIP!!" is written on the side using a Sharpie. They all know it's there and that they are welcome to it. It's come in handy a few times and been very much appreciated. **But I don't see this continuing anymore given Covid-19**

I’m not really understanding the sticky glove thing. I get it for the Younger’s...they don’t know what they are doing. But catching is about technique and placement of fingers/hands. Diving is all about either bring the ball down in front of you or pushing it away. High balls same. I’m not sure exactly what sticky gloves gets higher level keepers beyond a talisman. Would love to see some actual science behind it.

I’m not really understanding the sticky glove thing. I get it for the Younger’s...they don’t know what they are doing. But catching is about technique and placement of fingers/hands. Diving is all about either bring the ball down in front of you or pushing it away. High balls same. I’m not sure exactly what sticky gloves gets higher level keepers beyond a talisman. Would love to see some actual science behind it.
Its rather simple. Just put on dry gloves and try to catch the ball versus slightly wet gloves. You will understand the difference.

^^^^^ This.
(The latex becomes grippier when damp)

oh I don’t doubt they get grippier. My question though is how much of a difference does it really make in catching ability? If gloves weren’t designed to be grippier would it make much of a difference? My sons first set of pro gloves were a European company that the gloves were practically gummy...extremely so....I wondered in reality how much that helped. And with keepers pushing around the bars so much these days it must be an even lower impact at the higher levels where shots come too fast to catch.

oh I don’t doubt they get grippier. My question though is how much of a difference does it really make in catching ability? If gloves weren’t designed to be grippier would it make much of a difference? My sons first set of pro gloves were a European company that the gloves were practically gummy...extremely so....I wondered in reality how much that helped. And with keepers pushing around the bars so much these days it must be an even lower impact at the higher levels where shots come too fast to catch.
it's not about catching fast powerful shots, it's rather the opposite - catching easy shots.

There are gloves out now with "so called" gecko grip....kids easily palming the ball, grip makes a difference especially on crosses. Same reason WR's in football wear the tacky receiver gloves. I think of grip like traction on tires. I agree on the easier shots as well. My dd likes the gripper gloves...she is happy when the gloves are clean and put them palm to palm and pick up the top glove and the bottom one sticks to it.

Water actually activates the latex and you should treat the gloves before first use with water. Splitting will break down the latex more rapidly.

There are gloves out now with "so called" gecko grip....kids easily palming the ball, grip makes a difference especially on crosses. Same reason WR's in football wear the tacky receiver gloves. I think of grip like traction on tires. I agree on the easier shots as well. My dd likes the gripper gloves...she is happy when the gloves are clean and put them palm to palm and pick up the top glove and the bottom one sticks to it.

Water actually activates the latex and you should treat the gloves before first use with water. Splitting will break down the latex more rapidly.

In reality they shouldn't be stored palm to palm. This will also contribute to premature wear due to dirt etc in each glove rubbing together as they sit in a glove bag or stuffed in a backpack. My G03 actually has a carabiner on the top of her backpack. She keeps her gloves hooked on there. I keep them pretty clean..washing them every 3-5 uses depending on usage. The outside storage also aids in keeping them vented. No car rides home with smelly gloves for us. Been doing it this way for years.

In reality they shouldn't be stored palm to palm. This will also contribute to premature wear due to dirt etc in each glove rubbing together as they sit in a glove bag or stuffed in a backpack. My G03 actually has a carabiner on the top of her backpack. She keeps her gloves hooked on there. I keep them pretty clean..washing them every 3-5 uses depending on usage. The outside storage also aids in keeping them vented. No car rides home with smelly gloves for us. Been doing it this way for years.

I agree...I was just describing the grip...she stores them in the garage. Plastic hanging shoe rack...gloves in the glove bag fit nicely into it. 100% agree on the washing. Smelly gloves suck.

But you need more than you can get from spitting on them (I admit to limiting that judgment to observing how much I have seen people spit). A couple of good squirts from a water bottle do better --

Back