Nike bad for women

Powerful stuff...similarities to the soccer world with the amount of control Nike exerts over US Soccer, clubs, players, coaches, etc. Are our girls playing soccer 5-6x/week headed down a similar destructive or unhealthy path?

"I was the fastest girl in America, until I joined Nike":

So sad. Nike don't care except $$$$$. More soccer practices and more games= more cleats, more uniforms more everything. My dd old soccer coach and Doc from before were nuts. I remember them making the girls where these stupid vests to monitor their whereabouts and then harshly call girls out in front of their peers for not running more miles in a game. All at 12 and 13 years old and starting puberty. I told both those coaches their nuts and they need to stop this crap of mental and emotional abuse. They told me this is from USSF. I don't know who to believe but were over working these young girls to squeeze out .5% of the cream from the top. Watch out parents because were to blame too :(

I wonder what would happen if a large number of young women started a boycott Nike movement. Oh Canada, the angry face is for Nike. Thanks for posting. For the record, my players wear New Balance.

Powerful stuff...similarities to the soccer world with the amount of control Nike exerts over US Soccer, clubs, players, coaches, etc. Are our girls playing soccer 5-6x/week headed down a similar destructive or unhealthy path?

Alberto reminds me of a few male Socal Soccer coaches I've seen and heard yelling over the years at little girls. These assholes have no clue on how to treat a young lady let alone a young female athlete. Trains them like boys and yells at them as if their boys. But just like this runner said, something happens to girls that doesn't happen to boys at a certain age. I told one DA coach after he had a baby girl that I hope God teaches him a lesson when baby girl is 13. He said, "She will never be allowed to play youth soccer." Wow, pretty telling right there wouldn't you say? Dope head coaches some of theses "Albertos" are, just saying :(

I have noticed that HS girls who are serious distance runners in cross country and track are pretty much skin and bones, but I attributed that to the training, not diet. It's a natural thing for pubertal girls to put on a little fat driven by hormonal changes. Fighting that with a restrictive diet is unhealthy.

Alberto reminds me of a few male Socal Soccer coaches I've seen and heard yelling over the years at little girls. These assholes have no clue on how to treat a young lady let alone a young female athlete. Trains them like boys and yells at them as if their boys. But just like this runner said, something happens to girls that doesn't happen to boys at a certain age. I told one DA coach after he had a baby girl that I hope God teaches him a lesson when baby girl is 13. He said, "She will never be allowed to play youth soccer." Wow, pretty telling right there wouldn't you say? Dope head coaches some of theses "Albertos" are, just saying :(
You should name that coach on the forum.

Parents can, and should, set limits.

I have had that discussion with two different coaches. Both were quite reasonable.

If your coach says no, then find another team. There are plenty to choose from. Puck one that won't injure your kid.

Back