New Youth Sports Guidance

An excellent short documentary on Netflix that gives you a peek into the street ball culture in Europe. Enjoy.

Thanks! Watched it a while ago, even my gf loved it :)

Same.. at first we didn't know what to do with our free weekends, we were in a bit of shock we're so used to running around for soccer. Skateboarding and Surfing is another thing the kids picked up.. I hold my breath every time they go skating it makes me nervous and I feel old and hear myself telling them the same stuff my parents said to me... Yikes!
I said to my wife last night "In spite of this weird pandemic - I think our kids had a pretty good summer." They spent more time at the beach than ever before. Lots of time at the park. Rode their bikes a ton. Several "Staycations" or trips to a few different lakes.

Is that what I really said? You may want to go back and read my post. I used my own health issue as an example of a child's support system that can be at risk. This was to counter simply looking at death statistics for kids as the only factor when assessing risk for guidelines. But you've seemed to latched onto that and twisted into me saying "I want shut all down!" and "Throw coaches on the street!". In terms of moving things to 2021, I was specifically referring to competitions such as large tournaments and league play. Last I checked Surf Cup, CSL,Presidio, and SCDSL don't give a cut of their income to coaches...

I don't agree with that logic. For starters, this is August, a lot of clubs have already collected a good chunk of club dues from parents. Things like Surf Cup and Albion Cup come out of separate team fees paid by parents, not the club. Just because there aren't summer tournaments and a fall league doesn't mean clubs should just stop paying coaches. Nevermind the fact many of these clubs received PPP, which is specifically designed to maintain payroll. Making an announcement that competitions will resume in 2021 with the fall focused on team and private training, I don't see it as such a cataclysm as you do. My son and daughter played in DA/DPL and the fall season was always a bit light with things really ramping up in the spring. Due to scheduling my son's team last year had only about 3-4 games the entire fall, yet the coach still got paid and the kids kept training.

Instead of dangling the carrot of tournaments the entire fall, just let clubs focus on training and coming up with unique ideas to keep training interesting this fall. We also have no idea how hard flu season will hit with COVID. If we end up having 20-30% players or whole teams siting out for various reasons, are we really even having meaningful competitions anymore?

Again, that was your takaway from what I said? My post was all about my daughter and my health? That overly long post had 8 paragraphs and only about 2-3 sentences were about my daughter and my health.

And as I said before, using other states as an example when we are the largest state in the union with several huge metropolitan areas, we can't just blindly follow Kansas or Pennsylvania. With our population if things go bad, it can be catastrophic and very difficult to unwind, so yes we can look at data from other states but we have to come up with our own unique California solution.

Even if tournaments are postponed until 2021, I do think the players will look forward to the team distanced and other forms of small group training. Remember most schools will either be virtual or distanced learning with PE being unlikely and no fall HS/Middle school sports. Even without tournaments, players can still get a lot of value from their team and have something to look forward to this fall. if we start measuring their expectations now, it'll be an easier adjustment. It'll also keep the playing field relatively even for those teammates who choose to train at home/indoor/privates/futsal outside of their team training if there's health concerns.

And you never know, if we get our act together on timely testing, results, and tracing we might be able to resume scrimmages in local "green zones" (ie. areas with low case count) earlier than expected.
Your posts are way too long. I don't read them all. But I see enough to know you want answers for yourself and you have a disregard for the coaches. Shorten your posts and people may read them.

It took me a good hour or so to read through these comments. Most of these parents want their kids to get back to some type of practices. Why is everyone worried about having a season ? Under these circumstances. time to develop the players whether coaches have to implement covid friendly session. As long as the clubs are doing it safe why make the kids suffer. I see people are complaining because some teams are getting the upper hand how is that so? If parents agree to drive to OC to practice play futsal/Indoor ? What the problem? It’s like saying those parents know the risk they are taking. Shit might as well tell me to not let kids work out privately because they will have the upper hand. If parents thinks their kids shouldn’t practice that fine but don’t go be a Karen and ruin it for the rest of us. I agree things need to be done in safe manner

5 months of quarantine is too much for kids. I am concerned about a huge spike in kids getting covid but it’s a risk that I will take once or twice a week to get my dd doing private lessons or indoor.

@SoccerFan4Life may I ask why you believe you have to quarantine since youth sports are not allowed at this time? My sons team manager had family come in from Mexico so they are not attending practice at this time and will not for two weeks after they leave. Other than that why would you keep your kids in the house for 5 months?

It took me a good hour or so to read through these comments. Most of these parents want their kids to get back to some type of practices. Why is everyone worried about having a season ? Under these circumstances. time to develop the players whether coaches have to implement covid friendly session. As long as the clubs are doing it safe why make the kids suffer. I see people are complaining because some teams are getting the upper hand how is that so? If parents agree to drive to OC to practice play futsal/Indoor ? What the problem? It’s like saying those parents know the risk they are taking. Shit might as well tell me to not let kids work out privately because they will have the upper hand. If parents thinks their kids shouldn’t practice that fine but don’t go be a Karen and ruin it for the rest of us. I agree things need to be done in safe manner

I'm fine with others sending their kids to futsal if the facility is legally open....their choice their risk. I'm fine with families sending their kids to La Galaxy or All Star Camp if the camp is permitted under the camp guidelines. I'm fine with parents organizing a scrimmage without coaches, uniforms or referees. I'm fine with private training and my kid continued to train through the worst of the lockdowns. I'm fine with organized club distanced practices conducted in accordance with the rules.

The problem with having an organized, club-sponsored match is not the risk the parents are taking, it's that it violates the rules and could bring sanctions on all the rest of us for having fields closed, the opening schedule delayed, or if the problem gets big enough having soccer removed from the list of even permitted distanced practices. Then your choice directly affects someone else's kid by harming them and taking away one of their privileges.

If you don't like the rules and think they are stupid, that's fine....I would agree with you. But the remedy isn't to go around and disregard the rules and get everyone else punished. The remedies are more appropriately discussed in the off topic forum.

I'm fine with others sending their kids to futsal if the facility is legally open....their choice their risk. I'm fine with families sending their kids to La Galaxy or All Star Camp if the camp is permitted under the camp guidelines. I'm fine with parents organizing a scrimmage without coaches, uniforms or referees. I'm fine with private training and my kid continued to train through the worst of the lockdowns. I'm fine with organized club distanced practices conducted in accordance with the rules.

The problem with having an organized, club-sponsored match is not the risk the parents are taking, it's that it violates the rules and could bring sanctions on all the rest of us for having fields closed, the opening schedule delayed, or if the problem gets big enough having soccer removed from the list of even permitted distanced practices. Then your choice directly affects someone else's kid by harming them and taking away one of their privileges.

If you don't like the rules and think they are stupid, that's fine....I would agree with you. But the remedy isn't to go around and disregard the rules and get everyone else punished. The remedies are more appropriately discussed in the off topic forum.
I think the answer may be to take our ball and go elsewhere. I know that they are having sanctioned softball tournaments is Nevada (I attended one with my oldest DD at the end of July). I would assume that soccer would be ok also (but you know what happens when we assume ;) ).

Teams should continue to properly train here and then hit some tournaments in nearby states.

8 Days later
Down to 16/100,000 from 18/100,000
8 states are now in "red" down from "10"
There is no apparent growth in the high density regions so I'd expect this trend to continue

View attachment 8643
Because of the 7 day averaging you will see some vacillate back and forth in risk groups. These stats are based on WHO who gets their info from the County health sites (that was true when I checked a couple of months ago). As you stated before...garbage in and garbage out still holds true. I am concerned about the numbers here in California. When you have the head of the health department for California leave after there was a fix to the system issue, that certainly signals a red flag. In addition, my experience tells me that OC Health is a hot mess with no appropriate leadership. I can tell people are just managing by fire which is why numbers change and are "corrected" regularly or we appear to have people that were counted as deaths added back. If you listen to them during press conferences, your mouth drops open at how ignorant they sound and how they are incapable of directly answering the most direct of questions. I don't understand why deaths have remained flat while people infected are younger and we have had decreases in hospitalizations. Something doesn't make sense with that one. What I do trust is the hospitalization data that several hospital administrators have confirmed...we are seeing decreases in hospitalizations.

What we seem (no factual basis but just an observation) to be coming down to is poverty areas really being impacted. I know for a fact that there are some issues with Native American tribes in Nevada right now but you don't hear that on the news and I wonder why those areas weren't addressed more timely.

Because of the 7 day averaging you will see some vacillate back and forth in risk groups. These stats are based on WHO who gets their info from the County health sites (that was true when I checked a couple of months ago). As you stated before...garbage in and garbage out still holds true. I am concerned about the numbers here in California. When you have the head of the health department for California leave after there was a fix to the system issue, that certainly signals a red flag. In addition, my experience tells me that OC Health is a hot mess with no appropriate leadership. I can tell people are just managing by fire which is why numbers change and are "corrected" regularly or we appear to have people that were counted as deaths added back. If you listen to them during press conferences, your mouth drops open at how ignorant they sound and how they are incapable of directly answering the most direct of questions. I don't understand why deaths have remained flat while people infected are younger and we have had decreases in hospitalizations. Something doesn't make sense with that one. What I do trust is the hospitalization data that several hospital administrators have confirmed...we are seeing decreases in hospitalizations.

What we seem (no factual basis but just an observation) to be coming down to is poverty areas really being impacted. I know for a fact that there are some issues with Native American tribes in Nevada right now but you don't hear that on the news and I wonder why those areas weren't addressed more timely.
Lots of moving parts and questionable data --> Do we really know what is going on? Agree about hospitalizations being the most reliable data. I was looking at Texas and noticing the same thing about the data - hospitalizations dropping steadily, tests dropping and positivity rate jumping considerably. When I look at the Rt on the rt.live, TX hasn't been anywhere near below 1. How are hospitalizations dropping when R has never been below 1? Obviously, something is off somewhere in the data.

Once it gets a hold in an area of dense population, it's difficult to manage even with reasonable precautions. I'm hoping the signs of it abating in the central valley are just that.

Lots of moving parts and questionable data --> Do we really know what is going on? Agree about hospitalizations being the most reliable data. I was looking at Texas and noticing the same thing about the data - hospitalizations dropping steadily, tests dropping and positivity rate jumping considerably. When I look at the Rt on the rt.live, TX hasn't been anywhere near below 1. How are hospitalizations dropping when R has never been below 1? Obviously, something is off somewhere in the data.

Once it gets a hold in an area of dense population, it's difficult to manage even with reasonable precautions. I'm hoping the signs of it abating in the central valley are just that.
I think one possible reason that hospitalizations and deaths are going down but positive tests are where they are is this.

Many people are back to work. If someone is working and they either feel ill or are exposed to someone that is positive they get tested. If they are positive (regardless if they have symptoms or not) they have to get tested again (and again) until they are negative before they are allowed to return to work. If someone tests positive and then gets two more positive tests before they are negative that is three positive tests from one person. all within a relatively short period of time.

I think one possible reason that hospitalizations and deaths are going down but positive tests are where they are is this.

Many people are back to work. If someone is working and they either feel ill or are exposed to someone that is positive they get tested. If they are positive (regardless if they have symptoms or not) they have to get tested again (and again) until they are negative before they are allowed to return to work. If someone tests positive and then gets two more positive tests before they are negative that is three positive tests from one person. all within a relatively short period of time.
Yes, this is a big deal if every positive test is used instead of just the first positive test for an individual and people are taking multiple tests after testing positive.

Yes, this is a big deal if every positive test is used instead of just the first positive test for an individual and people are taking multiple tests after testing positive.
This is not the case. Repeat testing is not used by employers. Employers are not allowed to prevent employees from returning to work until they have a negative test unless they were hospitalized. Non hospital cases of Covid can return to work when they have been free of symptoms without the use of medication for three days. Employers can't even request a doctors clearance and definitely can't request proof of negative testing.

This is not the case. Repeat testing is not used by employers. Employers are not allowed to prevent employees from returning to work until they have a negative test unless they were hospitalized. Non hospital cases of Covid can return to work when they have been free of symptoms without the use of medication for three days. Employers can't even request a doctors clearance and definitely can't request proof of negative testing.
Whether employers require it or not, if individuals are being tested multiple times, the "first" positive is the only one that should be used for any statistic attempting to determine the trend. If all positive tests are used and some test positive > 1, it will make trending the data difficult and inflate Rt.

So you’re saying that asymptomatic positive Covid cases can return to work if they are symptom free?

So it goes like this.
Person was exposed to someone that was positive.
They go get tested on Monday at one of the quick result places and it’s positive.
They can then return to work in three days of no symptoms?
Nope.

That’s not true for all employers. I know several employers who have instituted policies of 3 negative tests before returning to work. Why/How can you say “employers aren’t allowed”? The employees are paid sick leave and the tests are covered by the employers insurance.

Whether employers require it or not, if individuals are being tested multiple times, the "first" positive is the only one that should be used for any statistic attempting to determine the trend. If all positive tests are used and some test positive > 1, it will make trending the data difficult and inflate Rt.
On the other side of the coin you can have people that require multiple tests per month which can distort the picture as well. In elder care facilities, the OC health department requires testing of every resident and worker every 2 weeks once there is a positive case (worker or resident). That continues on until they have 1 month with no positive results. That is generally an isolated population so should those tests be included when calculating R0? They need to break up the testing by category such that it is useful for all the non medical people trying to calculate R0. Counties can easily manipulate results to achieve a desired outcome. I am not saying that is the case but that is why I have always looked at hospitalizations to see what is happening.

When you have various labs themselves transmitting results for input into the daily data, what do you think the chances are there is a consistent process in place from lab to lab to ensure consistent and valid data is appropriately segregated by test 1, 2, or 3 etc. and/or HHS or States have the appropriate systems in place to segregate the data? Considering the fact that everyone unemployed from COVID got $600 a week federal aid for unemployment no matter how many hours a week they worked or what their pay rate was because the States did not have systems in place to handle the variables, I would say it is doubtful there are adequate systems in place to appropriately segregate the COVID test data.

Back