NEW ECNL CHAT

You are full of shit. My point was that there was discrimination, as evidenced by the lopsided number of players being called up to YNT camps, and that it could have easily been 3-3 or 4-2 instead of 6-0. Nobody is bashing the players, I was making a point that the YNT call-ups were based more on which club you played for than merit. Now we have an even playing field, so now these call-ups will be based solely on merit and not which league you play in.
I know many players who went to the YNT (U17 and U16) camps and quite a few of them were noticed when they played on ECNL or SCDSL teams when they were younger, then when the players decided to switch to DA they continued to be called to camp. So, how many of the YNT players were originally invited while on their old team or ECNL teams. I don’t think you can count those DA players under your “discrimination“ logic. Those players were already noticed prior to the DA.

The bias occurred based on the league SOLELY. It had nothing to do with equity. Hopefully they toss those best if GDA lists. If those players are deserving now that the field seems to be level , then so be it. Honestly , I know too many players that got the “We have to defer to our GDA players because they play in our league.“
As for discrimination, it did occur. Perhaps with the league gone, the best of the best will represent our country.
It is also difficult at this point for new girls to "break" into the known commodities of players and clubs. With 9 gazillion girls playing soccer and developing at different rates known clubs and players are easier to draw from. In NorCal for ODP back when it was something there were 160+ girls trying out and 30-40 get picked after 6 sessions. Catch the coaches eye 1 time during 1 session and boom you advance. Then each year after that the coaches know who you are and you become more entrenched. Depending on the age group there are known commodities in existence that will be difficult to move out.

It is also difficult at this point for new girls to "break" into the known commodities of players and clubs. With 9 gazillion girls playing soccer and developing at different rates known clubs and players are easier to draw from. In NorCal for ODP back when it was something there were 160+ girls trying out and 30-40 get picked after 6 sessions. Catch the coaches eye 1 time during 1 session and boom you advance. Then each year after that the coaches know who you are and you become more entrenched. Depending on the age group there are known commodities in existence that will be difficult to move out.

Because of GDA’s failure, there will be some new additions.

I know many players who went to the YNT (U17 and U16) camps and quite a few of them were noticed when they played on ECNL or SCDSL teams when they were younger, then when the players decided to switch to DA they continued to be called to camp. So, how many of the YNT players were originally invited while on their old team or ECNL teams. I don’t think you can count those DA players under your “discrimination“ logic. Those players were already noticed prior to the DA.
Most of these kids were in NTC together for 4 years, before DA even existed, and were evaluated against each other over and over. The obvious ones got called in, ECNL players included. There are a number of players in the next tier down that are very close to each other and those in DA got preference there. The bias is not as big as people think, and that YNT funnel narrows very quickly.

Most of these kids were in NTC together for 4 years, before DA even existed, and were evaluated against each other over and over. The obvious ones got called in, ECNL players included. There are a number of players in the next tier down that are very close to each other and those in DA got preference there. The bias is not as big as people think, and that YNT funnel narrows very quickly.
DA started when my kid was 14. NTC started when my kid was 12 and she was recruited by the headmaster of the one starting in San Diego 2018, not 4 years ago. Plus, those training centers were a joke and breading grown to steal players from other non gda clubs. I wouldn;t go there with me today. How did one get evaluated? JH ran one and so did Dr Mark in San Diego. Please share how players were truly evaluated at these centers? I don;t want to bring up my dd experience with a certain Doc again, ok. Please, that is BS for sure and no need to bring up the past. in 2017, Socal had like 7 picks I think. 6 of the 7 were on a non gda club the year before and then found a home at a GDA club. That means 6 clubs lost 6 NTP all because some Docs had power with the picks.

This boils down to saying “yes, we discriminated, but it was mild discrimination.”

Sorry. Adults thought it was ok to discriminate against a kid, as a tool in an argument with other adults. That is not ok.

And, if those same adults are still on charge, why should I not assume they will continue to play the same games?

The players picked in Sept 2017 in socal was legit, minus my kids name....lol.....The league started the next day and the new way was put in place and here we are today.

Last edited:
This boils down to saying “yes, we discriminated, but it was mild discrimination.”

Sorry. Adults thought it was ok to discriminate against a kid, as a tool in an argument with other adults. That is not ok.

And, if those same adults are still on charge, why should I not assume they will continue to play the same games?
You should assume that people, no matter who they are, will have biases. Coaches will listen to input from others they respect and have relationships with. Hiring, ODP selection, YNT selection are all subject to the realities of human nature and to people’s personal motives. At no point have I made any value judgement about any of it. I just shared what I’ve observed.

Doubting whether Quakes girls deserved it is exactly what you are doing. In one sentence, you’re claiming it was “discriminatory” that Quakes had 6 and MVLA none, and the next you’re claiming that you’re not doubting they deserved it.
I know both of those teams VERY well.

It's a travesty Quakes had 6 and MVLA had 0. Nothing against those Quakes kids, but this was the most obvious bias example I can think of. Some deserved it from both teams and everyone can see that who watches with open eyes

Want to guess who ran the Nor Cal NTC for a few years.....I'm sure you all can figure it out haha

Reactions: Zen
You should assume that people, no matter who they are, will have biases. Coaches will listen to input from others they respect and have relationships with. Hiring, ODP selection, YNT selection are all subject to the realities of human nature and to people’s personal motives. At no point have I made any value judgement about any of it. I just shared what I’ve observed.
I expect bias about soccer. A player who can send a great long ball to the corner might get an undeserved pass if the reviewers all want to play possession. And the direct soccer reviewers might not appreciate a center back’s excellent footwork.

What I am talking about is personal connections. “My friend is DOC at club X, so I’m going to pick the midfielder from club X”.

If that is how the system works, why should anyone else bother driving to tryouts?

Want to guess who ran the Nor Cal NTC for a few years.....I'm sure you all can figure it out haha
My observations are not based on the age group you’re referring to.
What I can say is that while DA facilitated a split I think the real factor was a coach that was in a position of influence. That will continue to happen without DA as there will always be people in positions with more influence and they will bring along their people.

I expect bias about soccer. A player who can send a great long ball to the corner might get an undeserved pass if the reviewers all want to play possession. And the direct soccer reviewers might not appreciate a center back’s excellent footwork.

What I am talking about is personal connections. “My friend is DOC at club X, so I’m going to pick the midfielder from club X”.

If that is how the system works, why should anyone else bother driving to tryouts?
That is life. It happens everywhere. Biased does not mean corrupt. Every coach forming a team has to break the tie between similar players somehow, and inevitably not all people agree on the decision making factors and process. Have you ever coached? Or hired people? Chances are not everyone was happy with you. Humans often go with what they know and trust and are drawn to certain people and not others. Others say different, but I have observed an NTC process that included a large number of players over the years from different leagues and clubs and a YNT pool that has largely given deserving players chances. There are imperfections in any system.

That is life. It happens everywhere. Biased does not mean corrupt. Every coach forming a team has to break the tie between similar players somehow, and inevitably not all people agree on the decision making factors and process. Have you ever coached? Or hired people? Chances are not everyone was happy with you. Humans often go with what they know and trust and are drawn to certain people and not others. Others say different, but I have observed an NTC process that included a large number of players over the years from different leagues and clubs and a YNT pool that has largely given deserving players chances. There are imperfections in any system.
I think its BS to use the United States of America's U14 YNT List to float around on a hook to steal customers from other clubs to your club. These weren;t coaches forming a team either. These were Docs forming a list of 12 and 13 years so they could put them on their website and get more kids to sign up. From that list, they advertised on social media that their club develops world class players that turn into NTP. The little little kids sign up and the club makes lot's of money and that is how you win at club soccer.

If you watched tournament games where every 50/50 call went to the home team, would you sign up for that tournament? Or would you find a better use for your time?

Not everyone does it. Most companies would fire a hiring manager who brought in his friends without disclosing the connection and recusing himself.

AYSO has been able to set up standards for player selection that mostly keep coaches and dads from favoring their own. So have most symphonies. It is not that hard.

If YNT still allows coaches to bring along their own players, that's good to know. It means USSF does not want to set up an unbiased review process.

However, if that's the case, I won't advise kids to try out. If YNT gives every 50/50 to the home team, there are other games to play.

If you watched tournament games where every 50/50 call went to the home team, would you sign up for that tournament? Or would you find a better use for your time?

Not everyone does it. Most companies would fire a hiring manager who brought in his friends without disclosing the connection and recusing himself.

AYSO has been able to set up standards for player selection that mostly keep coaches and dads from favoring their own. So have most symphonies. It is not that hard.

If YNT still allows coaches to bring along their own players, that's good to know. It means USSF does not want to set up an unbiased review process.

However, if that's the case, I won't advise kids to try out. If YNT gives every 50/50 to the home team, there are other games to play.
Hey, I had an undersized kid who played for a team that nobody knew at a club that had no special influence for a coach that is not well connected and she emerged somehow. I’m a person who thinks that the selection process is generally fair and reasonable. I came to that conclusion by watching the player pool carefully over a number of years and generally agreeing with the selections.

youthsportsugh said:
You can do both by using arguably the top 2 teams in their respective leagues. To have 6 girls from the top DA team and 0 from the top ECNL team (which before the DA split hadn't really lost to that DA team) would show some discrimination. Then you can follow that up with the I am sure those 6 girls are excellent and will probably be called back. Not sure if that is what was meant, but the 2 are not mutually exclusive.
EOTL said: "Oh lord. Stop rationalizing. Claiming that 6 Quakes girls and 0 MVLA is “discriminatory”, and that “most”, but not all, of the Quakes girls should get called back by it’s very nature means that the guy doubts that Quakes girls deserved it."

Was Deza truly the Doc & Training Center Director in Nocal?

Those top top girls on Doc Deza's team from De Anza are really good and we all agree on that. UCLA would not sign most of them if they werent YNT members. Just like all the top top players on MLVA were good and all the top top players on that US Youth National Championship Surf team were real good too. So, let's say each team had 5 goats x 3=15 top top players just from those three teams. I bet you $1,000,000 I could take those 15 as the head coach and beat Spains U14 team. I would need to add the Vegas GK as well. Just in the State of California we could probably have two U14 YNT teams and then have two more with the rest of the country. Four U14 YNT teams makes more sense to me and that's what ODP all stars were. Let's play ball!!!

The September 2017 "The List" is of great importance to me still and the one after that as well. This was the new way to pick. Remember everyone, the old way was through ODP and YNT coaches usually picked their squad. Yes, he or she would get flooded with recommendations but that coach and the scouts were watching the best of the best at ODP games. This new way was 100% through the Docs from clubs and going to that Docs US Youth Training Center that he was in charge of was the way to go now, not ODP. It was confirmed to me two years ago that the Doc is the one. You had to listen to the Doctor and do what the Doctor ordered, even when the Doctor lied three big times in less than a month. The Doctor was thee authority. It was a new way to build your program with ynt bait on the fish hook. Lot's of Doc went fishing in other clubs ponds and took their biggest, fastest and badest goats and got them over to their ponds. Even dumb, foolish dads with ok players like me got fooled.

Last edited:
Back