NCAA NEWLY ADOPTED Rules 2019

I am not sure if the release (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-rules-curb-early-recruiting) did not have the chart at the bottom or if I just missed it previously. I think this is a really helpful summary and seems to suggest NO COMMUNICATION AT ALL before June 15 after Soph year (I've re-formatted because I can't get it to paste w/column titles):

Sport: All Other Sports
Correspondence/Private Messages: 6/15 after sophomore year
Incoming Telephone Calls: 6/15 after sophomore year
Outgoing Telephone Calls: 6/15 after sophomore year
Unofficial Visits: 8/1 before junior year
Official Visits: 8/1 before junior year
Off-campus Contact: 8/1 before junior year
Verbal Offer: Not legislated. 6/15 after sophomore year is first recruiting interaction

This last one is interesting - it is NOT saying no verbals but it is saying, "be real everyone . . . you can't have a verbal before 6/15 of sophomore year if that is the first recruiting interaction". That also suggests that routing communication through the club coach is not permitted though I think it is somewhat ambiguous.

Rule changes start May 1, still four days left! :)

I think there are pros and cons to the new rule, but you are only highlighting the negative. Firstly, any coach that offers on 6/15 after the sophomore year and expects an answer will be rare. Or don't value your kid. They will have plenty of time. Coaches (who are worth playing for) want to get to know your kid and you as a family. Only UCLA coaches apparently take kids based on an email from someone else and never do any sort of background check on them.

Coaches want to make good decisions too. I don't think many will rush into offers without getting to know kids and using the structured timeline that exists. The proof will be with UNC, UCLA, Stanford, Florida State...if those coaches slow down and don't offer the top 20 kids on day one everyone else will follow suit. Remember it is those coaches that started this entire thing. So on day one if there's a bunch of commitments to those top 5-8 schools you can bet the rule will be changing in a few years because this new rule didn't have the intended effect of slowing it down, just heightening the pressure.

Ideally we will see commitments during or after kids take their 5 visits. I do wish you could talk to coaches while on campus as it was nice to tie in family vacays to a local school. I could see allowing that to happen anytime but keep the no offers/no commitments/no other contact rule in place.
I agree with you here. What would possibly make all this better is to allow contact and conversations for 6-12 months before allowing verbal commitments. Maybe contact (6/15), visits (8/1) and then no verbals until December of Junior year to coincide with the early signing period. Allows players to visit and talk to multiple schools/coaches and everybody gets to know one another better.

I am not sure if the release (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-rules-curb-early-recruiting) did not have the chart at the bottom or if I just missed it previously. I think this is a really helpful summary and seems to suggest NO COMMUNICATION AT ALL before June 15 after Soph year (I've re-formatted because I can't get it to paste w/column titles):

Sport: All Other Sports
Correspondence/Private Messages: 6/15 after sophomore year
Incoming Telephone Calls: 6/15 after sophomore year
Outgoing Telephone Calls: 6/15 after sophomore year
Unofficial Visits: 8/1 before junior year
Official Visits: 8/1 before junior year
Off-campus Contact: 8/1 before junior year
Verbal Offer: Not legislated. 6/15 after sophomore year is first recruiting interaction

This last one is interesting - it is NOT saying no verbals but it is saying, "be real everyone . . . you can't have a verbal before 6/15 of sophomore year if that is the first recruiting interaction". That also suggests that routing communication through the club coach is not permitted though I think it is somewhat ambiguous.

So let me get this straight. If DD has already had first recruiting interaction with College Coach prior to rule change, she can still be offered a verbal? My DD is a freshman in high school. Also, what would be the definition of "recruiting interaction"? That could mean alot of different lines of communication.

So let me get this straight. If DD has already had first recruiting interaction with College Coach prior to rule change, she can still be offered a verbal? My DD is a freshman in high school. Also, what would be the definition of "recruiting interaction"? That could mean alot of different lines of communication.

No idea how it’s being interpreted but I doubt the ncaa is going to “grandfather” people who started before the rule change. But if my kid were impacted I’d definitely figure out a way to ask the question - through the club coach, by calling the ncaa, some other way.

No, she cannot get an offer because that would require contact between the staff and your kid. Your kid cannot talk to anyone until after her sophomore year. It's that simple. Enjoy the time.

Well to me if I am reading the new rules correctly, DD can still be offered a verbal if it is not the first recruitment communication between DD and College Coach. Hence the new rules would not apply in reference to communication between DD and College Coach since the process has already been initiated between both parties. You can't be offered a verbal if the two parties don't continue to communicate. Why else would the verbal exception be included in the new rules? If it stated "no verbals until 6/15 after Sophomore year", that would be pretty clear with that part of rule change.

Well to me if I am reading the new rules correctly, DD can still be offered a verbal if it is not the first recruitment communication between DD and College Coach. Hence the new rules would not apply in reference to communication between DD and College Coach since the process has already been initiated between both parties. You can't be offered a verbal if the two parties don't continue to communicate. Why else would the verbal exception be included in the new rules? If it stated "no verbals until 6/15 after Sophomore year", that would be pretty clear with that part of rule change.

I would not take the risk without being very, VERY clear statement from the NCAA or the school. The way I read the new rules, everything was erased - any contacts that happened with frosh or sophs (or middle schoolers) are as though they did not happen. So kids who had had extensive conversations with coaches could not continue them and anyone who had not been given an offer had to wait until 6/15 after Soph year. I see how you'd form your interpretation but, on this one, I would not want there to be any grey area if it were my kid.

I agree with you on that. Would need to get further clarification from the NCAA regarding the specific language of the new rules in this particular area. Just curious on other people's interpretation more than anything. My DD now has a couple more years to focus on development rather than worrying what school she is going to attend.

You are not reading the rules correctly. There is no verbal exception in the new rules. You cannot speak to a coaching staff until after your kid's sophomore year. Period. It doesn't need to state "no verbals until 6/15 after Sophomore year" if you cannot speak with them AT ALL.

I completely agree with MarkM’s interpretation. Curious about what does this mean for the 2022 kids whose verbal commitments were already public before the change, like on TopDrawerSoccer? unverified, of course, but still out there. Seems like they’re left hanging for more than a year and a lot can change during that time.

I completely agree with MarkM’s interpretation. Curious about what does this mean for the 2022 kids whose verbal commitments were already public before the change, like on TopDrawerSoccer? unverified, of course, but still out there. Seems like they’re left hanging for more than a year and a lot can change during that time.

For 2022’s they are no longer allowed to communicate with coaches until June 15,2020. All conversations were had prior to the new rule change.

For 2022’s they are no longer allowed to communicate with coaches until June 15,2020. All conversations were had prior to the new rule change.

Right, agreed. I was curious about whether those pre-rule-change conversations and verbals are actually worth anything now, when there’s a year of absolute silence mandated between the coach and the player.

Right, agreed. I was curious about whether those pre-rule-change conversations and verbals are actually worth anything now, when there’s a year of absolute silence mandated between the coach and the player.

Pre-rule change verbals are worth the same as before. Not sure what that was though since they were non-binding.

Back