NCAA NEWLY ADOPTED Rules 2019

Sane65

BRONZE
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-rules-curb-early-recruiting

Any clarification on these new rules being implemented. Quite vague?!! College ID camps, communication between players (initiated by), with college coaches. How does this impact players currently in contact and initiating conversations with college coaches? My DD is a sophomore.... is May 1st the date she can not communicate until June 15th, 2019. Any insights? TU!

My understanding:

Prior to 6/15 after Sophomore year, college coach can no longer have any contact - not even if student initiates and not through club coach. So yes, after May 1 no more emailing, calling or having club coach facilitate communication until 6/15 for your DD.

However, “contact” is currently defined as off campus and I didn’t read anything about that changing, so I believe a college coach can still talk to a prospect face to face at an ID camp anytime.

These rules don’t mean anything unless they are enforced.

Will ncaa send agents to GDA and ecnl events to collect brochures at freshman and sophomore games and to look for girls that have marked committed by their names?

If they are going to do this they should start examining early commits listed on top drawer Soccer and make calls athletic directors at top 20 schools.

Geez.

These rules don’t mean anything unless they are enforced.

Will ncaa send agents to GDA and ecnl events to collect brochures at freshman and sophomore games and to look for girls that have marked committed by their names?

If they are going to do this they should start examining early commits listed on top drawer Soccer and make calls athletic directors at top 20 schools.

Geez.

Why would you think they are not going to enforce these rules?

However, “contact” is currently defined as off campus and I didn’t read anything about that changing, so I believe a college coach can still talk to a prospect face to face at an ID camp anytime.
I thought one of the new rules last year or recently was that college coaches could not have recruitment conversations at their camps either until Junior year.

How? How do u police this?

It doesn't really need to be policed. Going forward, no kid or coach is going to publicly claim a verbal commitment before the no-contact deadline lifts. And if the coach and player secretly agree to a commitment before the deadline, what value does it hold? Isn't it the public nature of the verbal commitment that gives the commitment some value? Without any value, what is the point of breaking NCAA rules to do it?

It doesn't really need to be policed. Going forward, no kid or coach is going to publicly claim a verbal commitment before the no-contact deadline lifts. And if the coach and player secretly agree to a commitment before the deadline, what value does it hold? Isn't it the public nature of the verbal commitment that gives the commitment some value? Without any value, what is the point of breaking NCAA rules to do it?
Makes sense. Long overdue.

I am just a little confused. If the idea is to prevent early committing, then wouldn't it just be simpler to say that an athlete can't commit, verbally or otherwise, until junior year? Maybe you guys can explain - why prohibit anyone from talking to each other, getting to know coaches, programs, schools?

Nothing is preventing a younger person from visiting schools to see if they are a fit academically, geographically, etc. That way when they are able to talk to coaches they have already done some of the work. They will still have two summers to visit schools and talk to coaches.

I am just a little confused. If the idea is to prevent early committing, then wouldn't it just be simpler to say that an athlete can't commit, verbally or otherwise, until junior year? Maybe you guys can explain - why prohibit anyone from talking to each other, getting to know coaches, programs, schools?
Because they can, that is it.

So I’m looking at soccerwire and top drawer soccer. All those 2022 girls and schools that have verbally committed those girls are in violation? Are their commitments null and void now as they can not speak with the coaches to verify whether the verbal is still good and vice versa?

So I’m looking at soccerwire and top drawer soccer. All those 2022 girls and schools that have verbally committed those girls are in violation? Are their commitments null and void now as they can not speak with the coaches to verify whether the verbal is still good and vice versa?

The no-contact rule starts May 1. It doesn't apply retroactively. That would be insane.

The commitments already made are not null and void. If a coach backs out of a public commitment after the no-contact period lifts, the coach will suffer the same reputational harm as before.

The no-contact rule starts May 1. It doesn't apply retroactively. That would be insane.

The commitments already made are not null and void. If a coach backs out of a public commitment after the no-contact period lifts, the coach will suffer the same reputational harm as before.
True for now but the verbals commit list are about to go dark. So if your 9th grader commits now will she list herself as committed on the brochure for the summer tournament when she’s about to lose contact with her future coach for 1-2 years? And what if the ncaa decides to pop in and look at that brochure and see committed? How would you or the coach prove this verbal commit occurred after May 1st?

True for now but the verbals commit list are about to go dark. So if your 9th grader commits now will she list herself as committed on the brochure for the summer tournament when she’s about to lose contact with her future coach for 1-2 years? And what if the ncaa decides to pop in and look at that brochure and see committed? How would you or the coach prove this verbal commit occurred after May 1st?

1st off, if your kid is so good that they are committed by 9th grade, then I don't think they have a thing to worry about. 2nd, I'm sure the team manager can add an addendum to the brochure like "prior to 5/2019" to kids that are committed. But the bottom line is if your kid is already committed at that age, the coaches all know her and the word is on the street if they are available or not. 3rd, I love this rule, because early commitments suck! I know plenty of girls that committed in 9th grade and then ended up somewhere else, or transferring after their 1st year.

This was a discussion among parents at practice the other day. My question is what will this do to tournaments that advertise as college showcases? If your kid plays for a DA or ECNL team is there a reason to attend these tournaments (Surf or Silverlakes in the summer and Thanksgiving, Players Showcase for example) before say sophomore year in HS? Yes you can play good competitive games but DA and ECNL teams should be getting that (in theory) in their league games and showcases. So why pay the extra money for these tournaments if you can't have any communication with college coaches until junior year?

This was a discussion among parents at practice the other day. My question is what will this do to tournaments that advertise as college showcases? If your kid plays for a DA or ECNL team is there a reason to attend these tournaments (Surf or Silverlakes in the summer and Thanksgiving, Players Showcase for example) before say sophomore year in HS? Yes you can play good competitive games but DA and ECNL teams should be getting that (in theory) in their league games and showcases. So why pay the extra money for these tournaments if you can't have any communication with college coaches until junior year?

Great question and it extends to ID camps too. I would think colleges will still be watching and evaluating players early even if they can’t communicate?

As for coaches this is great news. They won’t have to look u14, u15 anymore.

Back