MLS youth league

Yikes and my son is friends with one of the players (negative so far)

Sacramento, San Diego, and Orange County have also suspended games or practice in the meantime.

Not exactly powerhouse boys programs. I wonder what is the criteria.
Seems to be focused on geography. Most center around areas where there are MLS teams and the local playing circuit could be beefed up. Northern California, Houston, DC area, New York/New Jersey/New England, Michigan (within reach of both Chicago and Columbus), Atlanta/Louisville/Florida.

As for quality, I think there is an "if we build it they will come" attitude. You already hear about this in Southern California with players from some of the former DA teams that went to Boys ECNL reportedly trying out for teams in the MLS league. They also mentioned reaching under-served communities, which makes it sound like one or more of these clubs specifically serve that purpose.

So who has any updates on this league or how training is going?

Our non MLS club is back training but what about the MLS sides that are local?

Is LAFC back at virtual training?

What about Galaxy? In person training going on or planned in the near future for either MLS club?

No league-wide updates. LAFC is confirmed virtual for remainder of August.

There does not appear to be an official web site outside of some MLS site hosted blog posts about applications, etc.
At this point, I'm afraid that I wouldn't expect the LA MLS academies to be competing in 2020 at all.

At this point, I'm afraid that I wouldn't expect the LA MLS academies to be competing in 2020 at all.

Let's hope for some competitions for the fall.

In the Southwest league maybe not start until 2021 unless guidance is changed soon but perhaps in other parts league will get going sooner?

The CA guidance will likely need to be updated or changed before the high profile MLS locals get back to in person group training. they really don't have much of an incentive to do distant training in person with masks.

Seeing how Sept is the earliest that MLS sides are even considering a return to training, competition is 8 weeks out+ if the the Ussf guidelines are followed the prospect of a fall season are dimming for those sides. Starting the league in the SW without the MLS sides is possible but doubtful.

The Galaxy has been very quiet with little to no info release and some have been grumbling that there interests with the youth market or this league in not great. Anybody's have a opinion on that? They were stung a bit with the outbreak with the 2 team and might be bit reluctant now to proceed until things settle down more.

Hopefully the Non-MLS participants can get together to have some sort of events if the league part doesn't starts until 2021.

Let's hope for some competitions for the fall.

In the Southwest league maybe not start until 2021 unless guidance is changed soon but perhaps in other parts league will get going sooner?

The CA guidance will likely need to be updated or changed before the high profile MLS locals get back to in person group training. they really don't have much of an incentive to do distant training in person with masks.

Seeing how Sept is the earliest that MLS sides are even considering a return to training, competition is 8 weeks out+ if the the Ussf guidelines are followed the prospect of a fall season are dimming for those sides. Starting the league in the SW without the MLS sides is possible but doubtful.

The Galaxy has been very quiet with little to no info release and some have been grumbling that there interests with the youth market or this league in not great. Anybody's have a opinion on that? They were stung a bit with the outbreak with the 2 team and might be bit reluctant now to proceed until things settle down more.

Hopefully the Non-MLS participants can get together to have some sort of events if the league part doesn't starts until 2021.
If scrimmages or games are permitted for anyone in Southern California during the fall, I have no doubt that the MLS League teams not affiliated with MLS clubs will schedule things. They have basically all been up and running socially distanced practices for awhile and many are starting to finalize rosters.

Not exactly powerhouse boys programs. I wonder what is the criteria.

Here is an article about Sheriff's FC and why it was invited to participate in the MLS League at U13 and U14. They are clearly trying to widen the net beyond the "powerhouse" programs as a way to improve scouting and access. Pretty smart. There are probably too many kingmaker clubs as it is.

Galaxy is not interested in the youth league, imo.
They have started school an age group earlier. this year but also have slashed the rosters across all age groups by at least 30 kids in total and have given out virtual soccer assignments. There is no rush for them to get back to training because they can retain all their players unlike non-MLS clubs plus the competition is not great , ECNL looks like a stronger league.
It is no secret that Galaxy has been struggling for a while financially and with no real MLS income, the kids are on the back burner.

They have started school an age group earlier. this year but also have slashed the rosters across all age groups by at least 30 kids in total and have given out virtual soccer assignments. There is no rush for them to get back to training because they can retain all their players unlike non-MLS clubs plus the competition is not great , ECNL looks like a stronger league.
It is no secret that Galaxy has been struggling for a while financially and with no real MLS income, the kids are on the back burner.
Galaxy has had very little success with developing homegrown players and I don't know how much effort they've put into it, but I believe it is significantly less (based upon what I've seen) than teams like RSL and Philly (and I assume FC Dallas) which have very successful youth programs. The academic schools associated with RSL, and particularly Philly, are much higher quality than the online education that LA Galaxy offers.

I wonder why parents/players specially from FCGS, RSC & Pats, are cramming out the try out lists from LAUFA & TFA
Look at the Glendale Complex and be ready for a big surprise.

I wonder why parents/players specially from FCGS, RSC & Pats, are cramming out the try out lists from LAUFA & TFA
Look at the Glendale Complex and be ready for a big surprise.

What this in reference to the ECNL comment?
Well, we all know the answer the name" MLS" league which is supposed to make it superior to other leagues. Look my kid is at an mls academy and I can tell you we know nothing and they would rather practice than play a non mls squad. The theory that it would make scouting easier is non sense, you don't need a league for that they need to hire more scouts,

Back