MLS youth league

Maybe those former DA clubs prematurely jumped the ship? MLS announced that their new youth league will feature non-mls clubs too!

Yeah finally, should have been done years ago.

The DA restrictions and sub rules won't be used either from what we were told last night by one of the MLS academy directors.

ECNL might be the most expensive pay to play league around after the this. Without the da subsidies (20-30k per team is what I heard mutiple times) or traveler scholarships clubs are going to have to come up with another ~20-30k per team, and what about those mandatory showcases that are out of state?

What's interesting is how this might effect USL? MLS has there 2 teams in that league and recently signed players in Feb & Match from the DA. This has been promoted as the path way to the first team, will that change now?

Nobody knows anything but then they know everything , all speculation as of know . MLS league and ENCL , why have the two different leagues again , if you play in the MLS league , who pays for travel ? Who and why would non mls teams be part of a MLS league? Make no sense , There’s only a few professional teams in our backyard , should be interesting to hear from all of the experts on this forum

Nobody knows anything but then they know everything , all speculation as of know . MLS league and ENCL , why have the two different leagues again , if you play in the MLS league , who pays for travel ? Who and why would non mls teams be part of a MLS league? Make no sense , There’s only a few professional teams in our backyard , should be interesting to hear from all of the experts on this forum

Socal MLS academies are funded they cover travel at least they have up until now. Need teams to play, there are only 2MLS around so yeah sure 100% there will be other teams that are non MLS including MX.

U17 and above is what has been talked about so far, still need those other leagues

Exactly just like how DA originally started they worked with 16 and up ( I think) about 10 - 12 years ago and no girls , they don’t care about 12-14yrs . Speaking from first hand knowledge too , too early to tell or get excited or bummed , sure makes for interesting times

Exactly just like how DA originally started they worked with 16 and up ( I think) about 10 - 12 years ago and no girls , they don’t care about 12-14yrs . Speaking from first hand knowledge too , too early to tell or get excited or bummed , sure makes for interesting times

I dunno but my player is excited about the possibilities however it shakes out. At least he was on the initial pitch. See how it goes need to get over these c19 restrictions first.

Heard rumors that TFA and LAUFA joined MLS league, can anyone confirm that?

That would be interesting but since they have been previously focused on youngers have to wonder about what age groups now?

2500 'elite' players and 250 top coaches can't be all olders can they? come to think about it thats about what 125 teams. If all MLS clubs put two teams in U17-19 that about 60 teams so going to be interesting what age groups will be included intially.

Best of luck to everyone and yes MLS pays for the players to travel-players only , personally tell me any of the local MLS clubs that remotely care for what the parents think .... I know as much as you guys or gals do. Personally I’d love to have Kante slice and dice and do his magic on what a MLS league would look like . California teams travel itineraries, do they stay just west coast , divide it into territories , and once again what’s and why is it a MLS league if TFA and Nomads , because they have good teams , sure , but again Who knows , personally I’m just cranky because there’s no sports to watch sorry for bad attitude:)

Wow this looks like the real deal:
US Youth Soccer Leads Development of New Elite Soccer Platform http://bit.ly/3cmSwAJ

Time for a new forum Dom?

April 15, 2020
To: All US Soccer Federation Members, Clubs and Staff
Skip Gilbert – USYS CEO

Re: US Youth Soccer Leads Development of New Elite Soccer Platform
Given today’s U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) and Major League Soccer (MLS) announcements, US Youth Socceraffirms that it has been actively working with leadership, member clubs and outside partnerr organizationso enhance our existing programming to meet the needs of our partners. Through our elite
youth soccer competitions and Olympic Development Program, we have elevated the playing environmentf forclub teams and players. We are more confident than ever that we have the leadership, vision, staff and soccereco-system to collaborate with all US Soccer members as well as any future MLS competitivep platform

For those USSF DA Clubs who are now disenfranchised, we are excited to invite you to join the conversation Please contact us to learn more about how you can play a role in developing a new unified and comprehensive structure that develops world-class players through an elite competitive pathway.
For any USSF staff impacted by today’s announcements, we invite you to talk with us to learn more about
US Youth Soccer and our organization. Many of you may know us from the past, but we encourage you to
get to know us for the future.
US Youth Soccer has the leadership, organization, financial strength and flexibility to collaborate, design
and execute national programming that will set the standard for elite youth play and allow young athletes
to reach their full potential. Because of our extensive relationships with leading thinkers and partners we
have actively developed plans to integrate with others to meet the needs of developing players through
high quality coaching, professionalized environments, enhanced player identification, and competitions
created specifically to address the development of players with professional aspirations.
“US Youth Soccer is the largest youth organization in the world and keeping the best players in the same
environment keeps our National team healthy”, said Dr. Robert Contiguglia, former President of the US
Soccer Federation (1998-2006) and past President of US Youth Soccer.
We are excited to engage with the entire US soccer community given the extensive changes in the
American youth soccer landscape. We hope you join us and help drive forward the game we all love. We
are a family committed to helping every player reach their full potential. We Are Youth Soccer!

I just wrote a lengthy post addressing some of these questions in the USMNT / USWNT / World Cup section.

Maybe those former DA clubs prematurely jumped the ship? MLS announced that their new youth league will feature non-mls clubs too!

No, there were going to be relegated to the DA 2 division anyway and were not going to get an invite to the MLS.

Yeah finally, should have been done years ago.

Yes and no, until the MLS made an about-face on RSTP the financial incentive was absent.

Could be propaganda but MLS appears committed to including non-MLS DA clubs. Time will tell.

Yeah now if clubs want to participate that's another story, once bitten twice shy type of deal. They really need to take care of some past grievances & problems regarding DA if they want this to work better.

Hopefully this new league gets some cross play from others that just won't join due to various reasons.

If USYS are the ones running the league like ussf did: making the rules, overseeing, etc may have a better chance vs MLS doing that for any of the non-mls ones considering.

Much too early to tell but hope and wish everyone the best.

Yeah now if clubs want to participate that's another story, once bitten twice shy type of deal. They really need to take care of some past grievances & problems regarding DA if they want this to work better.

Hopefully this new league gets some cross play from others that just won't join due to various reasons.

If USYS are the ones running the league like ussf did: making the rules, overseeing, etc may have a better chance vs MLS doing that for any of the non-mls ones considering.

Much too early to tell but hope and wish everyone the best.

MLS clubs are certainly committed to non-MLS clubs but the non-MLS clubs' entrance into the MLS Youth League will most certainly be invitation-only and just enough clubs needed to effectively run this league on a regional basis and still have competitive parity. Both the LA and San Diego divisions of DA League had far too many clubs. Half of the clubs or maybe even a little less is my guess. Would be interesting to see the analysis on which non-MLS clubs stayed in competitive reach of the top clubs in the DA league.

Back