MLS youth league

Looks like over 50 teams from at least 16 states will be starting their MLS League play this weekend.
Also, there's pretty clearly no line between MLS Academies and non-MLS clubs in terms of the opening weekend schedule. Every single MLS team at the U15 and U17 age groups is playing a non-MLS club. That may be a product of the pandemic and local travel being prioritized, but it certainly counters the narrative that the non-MLS clubs are playing in their own separate league in some age groups.

Also, there's pretty clearly no line between MLS Academies and non-MLS clubs in terms of the opening weekend schedule. Every single MLS team at the U15 and U17 age groups is playing a non-MLS club. That may be a product of the pandemic and local travel being prioritized, but it certainly counters the narrative that the non-MLS clubs are playing in their own separate league in some age groups.
My suspicion is that it has more to do with limiting travel given the pandemic. Although even under normal circumstances its going to be tough to play MLS v. MLS on a consistent basis. What little I've heard from our Club is that they will try to match up the better non-MLS with the MLS teams on a more regular basis. The less competitive non-MLS teams may still play a MLS team just not as often as the better teams.

decent paper. three researchers from the Department of Public Health - Sport Science, Aarhus University in Denmark looked at potential Covid exposure modeled from 14 high level soccer matches.

Short version on their conclusion was that - if there was one infected player on the field for the length of the game - the other players would be exposed, on average, less than 90 seconds over the course of the match.

the caveats are that 1) presumably, if two infected players were on the field, the likely exposure would go up exponentially 2) depending on what position the infected player was playing, exposure time could be as high as close to five minutes.

Matches? They're not yet even allowing contact training in the LA region. No scrimmaging, etc.

Reports of galaxy and LAFC training in orange county at irvine city college and other places so I dunno maybe they will continue on outside of LA county?

Can anyone confirm or share about what's going with the socal MLS clubs training?

Now that we know the league with be called MLS NEXT and wearing the patches & logo let's hope for some movement on to the next phases.

L
Reports of galaxy and LAFC training in orange county at irvine city college and other places so I dunno maybe they will continue on outside of LA county?

Can anyone confirm or share about what's going with the socal MLS clubs training?

Now that we know the league with be called MLS NEXT and wearing the patches & logo let's hope for some movement on to the next phases.

LAFC has not trained in Orange County or anywhere besides Zoom.

Matches? They're not yet even allowing contact training in the LA region. No scrimmaging, etc.
SD County and some inland counties maybe by January. LA County probably not at least until after spring for matches since your not even allowed to have non-household members at your house indoors or outdoors.

LAFC's first in-person training will be this Saturday 9/12.

Also, re: where's schedule?
I'm assuming that will be in www.mlsplayerdevelopment.com portal through GotSoccer.

Individual training for the MLS clubs but no group training yet is what I've heard some of which have been working out with different coaches or trainers as seen outside.

The air quality might be a hang up for this weekend but good to see at least a limited number of returners will get some group work in beyond the individual stuff.

There is a shake up or rethinking going on with the local MLS academies it appears so I wonder what direction they will go given the restrictions? Some players are not waiting around it seems and there going to be less spend on these teams overall so wonder what that impact will be?

Individual training for the MLS clubs but no group training yet is what I've heard some of which have been working out with different coaches or trainers as seen outside.

The air quality might be a hang up for this weekend but good to see at least a limited number of returners will get some group work in beyond the individual stuff.

There is a shake up or rethinking going on with the local MLS academies it appears so I wonder what direction they will go given the restrictions? Some players are not waiting around it seems and there going to be less spend on these teams overall so wonder what that impact will be?
have heard a couple of the LAG 04s have been picked up by LAFC, and RSL 05s have added a fair number of significant players (spurred by recruitment efforts by the former Surf coach who went to RSL)

With LAG MLS 1 roster showing well recently with mostly CA players, and LAG 2 doing decent, and LAFC MLS starting to roster some of their 04s, seems like the dots could be connected for a payoff on DA investment (and not even counting the BK kids who went to DE)

Given the lack of attention to certain age groups at Galaxy, one could assume they are focusing on 07/08's age group and I just don't see the development and promotion. (03's-06's)

04/03: are out the door at Galaxy and if your kid is not playing at least with Los Dos by now, he's headed straight to college if that is what you are looking for, if not defeats the purpose.
05's: Most have hit puberty and now they have an idea of who they want to promote.
06's- there are 3-4 kids that will make it to at least Los Dos

I think the above age groups will get overlooked the short end of the stick and the 07/08' will benefit in the future.

Given the lack of attention to certain age groups at Galaxy, one could assume they are focusing on 07/08's age group and I just don't see the development and promotion. (03's-06's)

04/03: are out the door at Galaxy and if your kid is not playing at least with Los Dos by now, he's headed straight to college if that is what you are looking for, if not defeats the purpose.
05's: Most have hit puberty and now they have an idea of who they want to promote.

I think the above age groups will get overlooked the short end of the stick and the 07/08' will benefit in the future.

Interesting take.

Yep, I think you’re on to something here. There were several years of a lack leadership and direction at LAG that lead to a pretty big gap in development. The 03s are a special year group there in spite of the environment. The 04s-06s fell thru the cracks. The youngest kids there will benefit if the leadership get their act together. Time will tell.

Air quality cancelled this weekend's activities. LAFC's initial return will be in cohorts. Basically each team is divided into 2 groups and then 2 age groups of GKs. Initially, only cohorts train together. Staggered arrival times and different entrances/fields per cohort. Gear sanitized between cohorts.

feel like you're being sarcastic.
Yeah, safe bet that I'm sarcastic and skeptical of anything related to youth soccer. lol.
I'm just saying that I heard the rumor that the new TV deal is to include MLS Next games... then my Starbucks comment insinuated the value of that rumor... to be close to nil. lol.

Back