MLS Next U15 Qualifiers

The seeding is done. That was the purpose of the GA cup qualifier. Every club that took part in the GA cup qualifier is going to the GA cup, but their seed # will determine the group they end up in.

Seeding is used to create the groups. Like in many other competitions (Champions League, etc) seeding is used to avoid having all the strong teams in the same group. That would be detrimental to the quality of the competition, since only 1 or 2 team makes it out of a group and advances.

So, if you had 4 groups (for instance), then seed #1 goes to group 1, Seed #2 group 2, etc, and then Seed #5 in group 1, seed #6 in group 2, etc... You end up with well-balanced groups and top-contenders have a good chance to advance to the post-group rounds.

Was that your question or did I just spend 1,000 words to tell you what you already knew?
that was great-- I really appreciate the response-- so from the chart that was in the thread before-- top seeds anchor a group - the Champions league reference helped- my friend is very appreciative -jajajaja

So I got confirmation of the actual formula used for the seeding, and the result is:

View attachment 12298
If you seed the groups by dropping in groups 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4... etc.
You get:
Group 1: LAFC, Sporting KC, NYCFC, Philadelphia Union
Group 2: Inter Miami, Portland, LAG, Austin
Group 3: NYRB, San Jose, Houston, Toronto
Group 4: RSL, Charlotte, New England, Chicago,

If you do it by GDPG (I heard that it might the official measure, but that's not confirmed) then you get very similar results:

View attachment 12291

MADE MISTAKES ON PREVIOUS POST

If you seed the groups by dropping in groups 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4... etc.
You get:
Group 1: LAFC, Chicago, Portland, Atlanta
Group 2: Inter Miami, Sporting KC, NYCFC, Philadelphia Union
Group 3: NYRB, San Jose, LAG, Austin,
Group 4: RSL, Charlotte, Toronto, Austin

Seeding: 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 you get:
Group 1: LAFC, Charlotte, Portland, Toronto
Group 2: Inter Miami, San Jose, NYCFC, Austin,
Group 3: NYRB, Sporting KC, LAG, Philadelphia,
Group 4: RSL, Chicago Fire, Houston, Atlanta

Back