MLS Next Expanding in SoCal?

These tournaments are the only places we can get a true sample. College coaches I know we’re much more impressed with the play of ECNL teams BUT more importantly the academics of those teams as a whole. MANY mls next teams has ballers but they didn’t have grades to get into even the least selective colleges. A CSU coach was lamenting to me that one team didn’t have a single player he could recruit despite wanting a couple of those players. Not a single player was carrying a 3.0 or above and over 1/2 had below a 1.5.
Only mildly related, but I was speaking to a Stanford scout/coach at the MLS showcase last winter and he said they were looking at things differently than most schools. They were looking for students that could play soccer.

Only mildly related, but I was speaking to a Stanford scout/coach at the MLS showcase last winter and he said they were looking at things differently than most schools. They were looking for students that could play soccer.

They are super selective about their student athletes- amazing grades and players only. They work harder than almost anyone on the recruiting front. Model college soccer program IMO. Not because the are an elite uni or a great program but they really grind it on the recruiting front

I would be very curious to know how TRACE footage/stats is impacting college recruiting. It seems like it would be more efficient than being seen at an ID tournament.

I would be very curious to know how TRACE footage/stats is impacting college recruiting. It seems like it would be more efficient than being seen at an ID tournament.
I can tell you players from top teams that develop quality video highlight reels (trace makes it easier) have good grades, are realistic about the college level of play AND work hard to make college connections get signed. College soccer doesn’t have a lot of money but they get a bit of a discount, and more importantly get into colleges that they may not, get priority registration and can play the great game another 4 years.

if your low income and are fortunate to get an offer from a state school- CSU and UC you will play for free.

This is what the Ivy League coaches I've talked to have said. I'm sure this is true for most private schools with high-level soccer programs.

Back