Manchester city tournament thoughts

R2564952

SILVER
Just sharing my thoughts on this weekends soccer (so far) and how we match up vs international teams.

Seen a few games this long weekend and I’ve got to say that Socal soccer doesn’t look to be behind Mexico, Manchester United or Spains girona fc.

NYCFC is scrappy with very sharp passing but their size doesn’t help. Crossfire has the fast winger/striker that burns defenders left and right. Girona looks very much like a galaxy with very even talent across the board. America from Mexico City isn’t to special on offense but they are scrappy in defense.

There have been some talented individual players like the 4 that attended from the 2004 national team... I made some time to catch their games. They’re all very talented and gifted players and definitely stand above most others.

It’s been fun so far. Post your takeaways and thoughts here.

Manchester City is technically and tactfully superior to all teams here. They competed with all comers, even though they are considerably smaller than pretty much every US and Mexican side here. The US and even Mexican academy systems are miles behind their European counterparts.

Watched some of the Strikers v. Girona final today on ESPN HD. Amazing coverage for youth soccer. Lots of whining by the coaches, but a well played final won on first sudden death Pk. Being a final there was understandably a bit of kick ball aka long play.

Overall the US based teams didn't fare too well vs the international teams. Pretty much the same as last year with the exception of the Strikers who did well this year.

Technically the international teams where superior but they are not used to playing that many games in a short amount of time so some of them ran out of steam and the physical play of the the MX or USA teams sometime won out. Man City was routed by Chivas 4-0 yesterday

Good for the Strikers for representing well, but the contrast vs Girona was remarkable for this age.

Back