Looking for 2006 and 2007 girls

Why step in? Who are you to dictate what is good or not for some families?

I'll bite.

Because regardless of how unhappy you are with the current season..to already be looking for a change before the season ends isn't fair to the team you are currently playing with and made a COMMITMENT to. Once Monday December 2nd rolls around you are free to do as you please. But to start doing it now just isn't right. Not trying to dictate anything either. Just my .02 (But I'm willing to bet most would agree with me)

If you go to another clubs tryout but stay with your current team until the season ends (still making all the games and training sessions) and then make your decision are you not committed?

I'll bite.

Because regardless of how unhappy you are with the current season..to already be looking for a change before the season ends isn't fair to the team you are currently playing with and made a COMMITMENT to. Once Monday December 2nd rolls around you are free to do as you please. But to start doing it now just isn't right. Not trying to dictate anything either. Just my .02 (But I'm willing to bet most would agree with me)
As @Mic Nificent stated, as long as you continue to make all of the games and practices with your current team I believe that you are fulfilling your commitment. Club soccer may have less movement and kids trying out before the end of the season if the following occurred:

• Club communicates to you and your kid where they see them on the club's depth chart,
  • Club announces coaching assignments for the upcoming year and provides the ability for you to talk your kid's potential new coach(es) before tryouts,
  • Club communicates, in writing, what the expectations are for each level of play (more likely with a larger club),
  • Club commits to a culture of promoting from within,
  • Club doesn't punish/humiliate kids for looking around (either publicly at tryouts or with team assignment)
Maybe if the adults who run the clubs started acting like adults, and treated kids, like the kids they are and us as paying customers, then maybe we would have a little less of the early team/club shopping. Maybe that's just me.

PS My kid has finished every season (through State/National Cup) with the club she started the season with, no matter how unhappy she was or how mad I was.

As @Mic Nificent stated, as long as you continue to make all of the games and practices with your current team I believe that you are fulfilling your commitment. Club soccer may have less movement and kids trying out before the end of the season if the following occurred:

• Club communicates to you and your kid where they see them on the club's depth chart,
  • Club announces coaching assignments for the upcoming year and provides the ability for you to talk your kid's potential new coach(es) before tryouts,
  • Club communicates, in writing, what the expectations are for each level of play (more likely with a larger club),
  • Club doesn't punish/humiliate kids for looking around (either publicly at tryouts or with team assignment)
Maybe if the adults who run the clubs started acting like adults, and treated kids, like the kids they are and us as paying customers, then maybe we would have a little less of the early team/club shopping. Maybe that's just me.

PS My kid has finished every season (through State/National Cup) with the club she started the season with, no matter how unhappy she was or how mad I was.

Your list is spot on and I would add that the Club disclose the full financial requirements for the upcoming year before tryouts or at least before you have to commit to a team. I've had two clubs materially change the fees after committing. I might also add that the Club disclose how many players they're going to roster on your kids team.

Parents need to take back some of the power they so willingly give up to DOC's and coaches, mainly because they worry if they speak up that there will be repercussions for their child. I'm not saying be a pain in the ass, but if you have a reasonable question or complaint you shouldn't be afraid to ask.

Your point about treating parents/players like paying customers is one of the biggest issues with club soccer. Its funny, I've heard coaches and administrators complain that the problem with youth soccer is the parents. That would be like me blaming the problems with my business on the customers. Their are problem parents, but the problem is not the parents. The bigger problem is that many DOC's and coaches don't, or refuse to, understand that they are in the customer service business.

Technically seasons are over correct?. regardless of State/National cup correct me if I'm wrong. a lot of teams don't even attend cup. At this point, I consider them free agents. My dd team finished mid-pack for the season and the coach asked if we even wanted to play at Cup. I know of at least 6 clubs doing tryouts in November and December (Crazy). some kids even guest at State Cup for a different team and use that as part of their tryout. I have seen it numerous times although don't agree with it. MyDaughtersAKeeper hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: wsf
Back