Libertarians answer me, should covid 19 vaccine be free

The problem with your equations is that you regard them as being static. The moment you introduce an outside actor (such as a government) which doesn't have a cost weighted against it, you introduce a new cost or external....the unintended consequence....because the outside actor (the government) cannot efficiently direct an outcome. It's always a moving target which is never static because each action creates another consequence.

I've shared this story before. My son and I many years ago participated in a LARP at Disneyland called Legends of Frontierland. It was a game where there were 2 teams from 2 towns that were trying to buy up the most land on the landboard by the end of the day. The game broke down within the first week. People are clever and they responded to incentives by holding onto their money until the end of the day and then rushing in at the last minute to flip ownership of land plots on the landboard. Disney responded by adding the concept of inflation to the land prices, but then people just started bidding up the price of land early to prevent the other side from earning enough money to buy land at the end game. People just responded by accusing each other of fake crimes so they could get a hold of the bail money which further broke the game because vast sums of people were just being rounded up and sent to jail. Every time they tweaked something, something else went wrong and by the end the game as a game was just broken (despite their being only 2 towns it got so ridiculous a 3rd faction emerged which Disney didn't even create with its rules).

The minute you try to correct an externality by introducing a third party non-incentivized actor, you'll create a new unintended consequence that further increases the costs and might in fact exceed the cost of the problem you are trying to fix. For example: the problem is we have a bunch of rich kulaks sitting around letting farm land go unplanted because they are trying to maximize their prices but not maximize crops....solution: shoot the kulaks.....result: Ukrainian famine. It doesn't help that non-incentivized actors like government are really really really bad at making these decisions because they are corrupted by things like corruption, ideology, religion, political power and cronyism.
Who is John Galt?

he moment you introduce an outside actor (such as a government) which doesn't have a cost weighted against it, you introduce a new cost or external....the unintended consequence....because the outside actor (the government) cannot efficiently direct an outcome.

Wait...you are assuming that when the government makes a decision, it will always be the wrong decision? I am asserting that some kind of intervention (if done correctly) will lead to a more efficient outcome.

Of course, if you have Trump making all the decisions, then yes I agree, better to leave it to the market.

Also politics appears to get involved. It looks like USA is limiting itself only to Western based vaccines when if we look at all available ones, the Russian vaccine seem to be the best.

According to Russian Empress source:

3:16, Sputnik V only requires a storage temperature of 2-8 C (compared to -70C for Pfizer, and -20C for Moderna).

4:02 Sputnik V cost $20 compared to Pfizer $40 and Moderna $66.

And in terms of effectivity is 95%.

Question: When will we buy Sputnik V from the Russians? It looks like the most cost effective and cheapest and easiest to handl.

Or should I ask, "Why are we not told about Sputnik V by our news media?"

In fact, the news media claimed that the vaccination by Pfizer in the UK few weeks ago was the "first" in the whole world. Why are we being fed with all these bullshit?

Back