Let's Talk Cleats

The smell. The disorganization of everything. The handwritten signs on cardboard.
Other than that, they did have a lot of stuff there.

I liked its charm, and the fact that we got a big discount without asking. I watched for a while - everybody got discounts, some people got stuff for free. I got the impression from what was going on while we there that he was sponsoring a local club team and was helping the players get good stuff for what they could afford to pay.

So prissy. Soccer loco doesn't have nothing. Everyone is over priced and never has anything. Sportspage gets it done. I'll go to the computer and print you some signs ok.
I'm not a big fan of socceloco either. Their return policy sucks. And the guys working there would rather try to nutmeg each other than help a kid try on a pair of cleats.

If your kid needs wide cleats, Asics makes a wide leather cleat and New Balance has wide cleats. DD could go through Tiempos in 2 weeks. Copas lasted 6.

What is she doing to go through cleats so fast? When my DD was at college in S. Carolina with all the rain and muddy fields, she had two pair of top of the line Tiempos ($200 a pair) that she used for daily practice. Those two pair lasted her the entire fall season (August-November). She would swap them out daily so she always had a dry pair. They were beat to hell by the end of the season, but still useable.

If they only last two weeks or even six weeks, I would be sending them back to the manufacturer for a refund.

@Surfref did the university supply her shoes or did you need to purchase?

They supplied one pair of cleats and one pair of running shoes. The cleats were SG Pumas that she used in games on muddy fields. She said they were actually really nice and fit well. She had some teammates with larger-wider feet that did not like them. She hated the running shoes and would only wear them when traveling to games when they were required to wear their warmups. Puma was one of the sponsors for the college athletic department.

It basically breaks down to marketing and Nike has a boot for everyone. Are you a wide player looking for all out speed? Get a pair of Superfly 5's or Mercurial Vapors that are super light with a bladed stud pattern for maximal traction. Are you a playmaking CMF? Get a pair of Magista Obra 2's to be the meastro in the midfield. Hypervenom's are supposed to be the best of both worlds with half conical studs and half bladed studs, for strikers that need to do it all. Do you not like the synthetic boots on offer and prefer the feel of a natural leather boot but don't want to have an old 12oz sandbag Copa Mundial on your foot? Tiempo Legend 6 has a lot of the new technology while retaining that high quality kangaroo leather upper. Do you prefer a classic kangaroo leather leather boot and don't want to break the bank? Nike Premier.

That wide array of choices and much better colorways are the big reasons Nike soccer shoes are more popular than Adidas right now, especially in the high end models. I almost never see anyone wearing an ACE, X, or Messi.

At the end of the day they're all just shoes and none of them are going to turn you into a superstar. You just need to find ones that fit, feel good on your feet, and have the proper stud pattern for the surfaces that you are playing on. Although how they look is really important too.

Nike fanboy much? :) There's brands other than Nike and Adidas. Lotto, Puma, Asics and Mizuno make great cleats that last far longer than any Nike that me or my kids have worn. For the record I'm not hating on Nike, I own lots of their gear and run in Pegasus.

Round studs are better than blades, leather's better than plastic, sole bolts are better than glue. Just my opinions.

Ulittle dd is still growing @ 5'4''. At this age group, Sever's, stress reactions, and general overuse have plagued our team.
She has big Flintstone feet, so we are using men's shoes. She liked the Nike Premiers and easily removable soles for Superfeet inserts.
But the shoe tears and wears out easily. She didn't like the silver duct tape "fixes" I made.

With Sever's, we switched to Adidas Mundial turf shoes with the little cones/knobs on turf. I think we had to tear out the lining to
insert Superfeet. Great support, control, etc didn't feel like stilts, in her words. Her favorite shoe for turf.

For grass, we used Copa Mundial. Still made in Germany. Heavy, but strong support and feels great. I have a pair so I can look the part
when I kick\shank the ball around with her. She sometimes wears on both grass/turf. Both good.

For tighter fit, try doing a runner's knot as a tie. Works great for her.

The big difference is that the Kaiser 5 is calf leather vs the Copas are kangaroo leather. Comfort and fit are similar, but the K leather will be softer. I believe that with the release of the Adidas gloro they have discontinued the Kaiser 5.

Yea, I believe they've discontinued them too. But I have 2 pair (Adidas Kaiser Blue 7 1/2 & 8 1/2) that I ordered last year from the UK that I can't get rid of if anyone is interested.

Nike fanboy much? :) There's brands other than Nike and Adidas. Lotto, Puma, Asics and Mizuno make great cleats that last far longer than any Nike that me or my kids have worn. For the record I'm not hating on Nike, I own lots of their gear and run in Pegasus.

Round studs are better than blades, leather's better than plastic, sole bolts are better than glue. Just my opinions.
Gotta agree with you. We choose the boot that fits and feels best on our feet. Kind of like our wine palate. We drink what we like. I use to love Puma Kings 20 plus years ago, but they changed the contour of the shoe plate. So, I ended up trying all the above brands (plus Lotto, Patrick, Kappa) and ended up with Nike because they fit my feet the best, but I am limited to wearing Tiempo's (preferably AG's) only. And, I agree with you many of the multiple other Nike styles are not up to par to an old school pair of Copa's or Kings. BTW-I am seeing more kids wearing Copa's. Kinda cool...

What is she doing to go through cleats so fast? When my DD was at college in S. Carolina with all the rain and muddy fields, she had two pair of top of the line Tiempos ($200 a pair) that she used for daily practice. Those two pair lasted her the entire fall season (August-November). She would swap them out daily so she always had a dry pair. They were beat to hell by the end of the season, but still useable.

If they only last two weeks or even six weeks, I would be sending them back to the manufacturer for a refund.

What was she doing to go through cleats so fast? She inherited square feet from me (and so did my son). When the kids were still growing and before we could find wide cleats from New Balance or Asics, my rule was leather cleats (so they would stretch) and no blades. Their feet are wide enough that the leather would stretch enough from the sides of the sole that the leather would actually touch the ground like a mocassin. The Copas ripped out from toe to instep at less than six weeks. She had a pair Tiempos die in less than two weeks. She could get about 4 months out of some purple Adidas Adizeros, but then they changed the design of the cleat and they didn't fit her any longer. Both Nike and Adidas worked with us on the problems we had with their cleats, but in the end neither company seems interested in serving players with wide feet. We then found some leather Asics cleats in wide widths. They worked well after I would stretch the heal cup wider with a wood clamp for a couple of days as well as fold the portion that protects the achilles over with a clamp for a day before they wouldn't feel too narrow in the heal. The New Balance cleats in wide are the only cleats that will fit my son. DD has a pair of the New Balance and a pair of leather Pumas that fit her well. She always takes two pair of cleats to games in case she blows one out during a game (which has happened at least three times that I know of).

I for one am thankful for Soccerloco. They have cleats in stock so that we can try on cleats until we find a fit. They have definitely save us mid-tournament in the past. We have always had good service from Soccerloco in San Diego, Carlsbad and somewhere in Orange County. I hope they do not stop carrying New Balance.

What was she doing to go through cleats so fast? She inherited square feet from me (and so did my son). When the kids were still growing and before we could find wide cleats from New Balance or Asics, my rule was leather cleats (so they would stretch) and no blades. Their feet are wide enough that the leather would stretch enough from the sides of the sole that the leather would actually touch the ground like a mocassin. The Copas ripped out from toe to instep at less than six weeks. She had a pair Tiempos die in less than two weeks. She could get about 4 months out of some purple Adidas Adizeros, but then they changed the design of the cleat and they didn't fit her any longer. Both Nike and Adidas worked with us on the problems we had with their cleats, but in the end neither company seems interested in serving players with wide feet. We then found some leather Asics cleats in wide widths. They worked well after I would stretch the heal cup wider with a wood clamp for a couple of days as well as fold the portion that protects the achilles over with a clamp for a day before they wouldn't feel too narrow in the heal. The New Balance cleats in wide are the only cleats that will fit my son. DD has a pair of the New Balance and a pair of leather Pumas that fit her well. She always takes two pair of cleats to games in case she blows one out during a game (which has happened at least three times that I know of).

I for one am thankful for Soccerloco. They have cleats in stock so that we can try on cleats until we find a fit. They have definitely save us mid-tournament in the past. We have always had good service from Soccerloco in San Diego, Carlsbad and somewhere in Orange County. I hope they do not stop carrying New Balance.

I think there's a New Balance store in Carlesbad. Saw them online when searching for track shoes.

At least from a "they're ugly" standpoint, my daughter is now ok with Copas. Just need to make sure they fit her feet properly. Her foot is a bit narrow and she likes to lace them tight, so we'll see.
I haven't paid much attention to the "boutique" soccer shoe brands, but I'm going to have her give those a look too.

That would suck. My DD has size 7.5 narrow feet. Most women's cleats seem to be made for narrower feet. She has high arches so she needs cleats that have some arch support. The best thing we did was go to a podiatrist and get custom inserts.

Hopefully your DD will not have to worry about cleats when she is playing in college. My DD college coach had hookups with Puma and got several players with flat feet or wide feet custom cleats made for free. Hopefully your DD college coach has an in with one of the shoe manufacturers.

Hey, what are some good models of leather shoes, particularly for the smaller sizes (under size 7)? For years I've been getting my son the Nike Tiempo Jrs., which used to be leather but no longer are. Apart from being cheap and durable, they also have the advantage of coming in indoor, turf, and grass, so I could get all three in the same size and my son could feel used to his shoes no matter what surface. Since the tiempos are now synthetic, I've been looking for an alternative. I recently moved to Adidas gloros for grass, which is much higher quality, but doesn't come in indoor or turf, and also I think I read they're discontinuing that model.

My son loves the feel of K-leather boots, getting more difficult to find, had to get his last pair from out of state but prodirectsoccer does ship to CA.

The 2nd gen Adidas Gloro 16.1 K's are his current favorite, these are good for wide feet and are listed as a FG but more like a FG/AG and they do very well on grass and artificial surfaces. They have proven durable for him but others have had issues but Adidas is good about the warranty if you buy from authorized dealers.

For turf the glued on vs stitched on sole plate seem to not be as durable but not that many stitched nowadays. Some of the Nike Hypervenoms TF's do come stitched on the front and have been very durable for him. I dunno if its the heat or what but the glued on turf boots seem to eventually get pelts under or separate a lot easier so we try to go with the stitched ones for the turf.

As long as we're talking about exotics, what about https://www.serafinoboots.com/? Too big for my son, but he loves toe poking shots.

The rubberised cap which gives the boot a completely flat surface across the toes is designed to enable players to perform “toe pokes” with greater accuracy and power while at the same time needing only minimal backlift.

Back