Let Them Play CA

My education taught that there are many flavors of democracy, including the one we enjoy in our republic.

you pulled another magoo by using a colloquial definition when dad and I were having a discussion re political philosophies. Pat on the head. Now run along....your car’s over there.

You didn't answer the question.
Check out the first definition (Lexico, powered by Oxford, since you seem to like them)

party1
Pronunciation /ˈpärdē/ /ˈpɑrdi/
See synonyms for party
Translate party into Spanish
NOUNparties

• 1A social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment.
    ‘an engagement party’
    More example sentences
    Synonyms
  • 2A formally constituted political group, typically operating on a national basis, that contests elections and attempts to form or take part in a government.
    ‘the party's conservative mainstream’

Check out the first definition (Lexico, powered by Oxford, since you seem to like them)

party1
Pronunciation /ˈpärdē/ /ˈpɑrdi/
See synonyms for party
Translate party into Spanish
NOUNparties

• 1A social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment.
    ‘an engagement party’
    More example sentences
    Synonyms
  • 2A formally constituted political group, typically operating on a national basis, that contests elections and attempts to form or take part in a government.
    ‘the party's conservative mainstream’

Perhaps you misunderstood my question, so let me elaborate - why do you include the word "party" in your hierarchy at all?

Perhaps you misunderstood my question, so let me elaborate - why do you include the word "party" in your hierarchy at all?
My hierarchy, I think.

For governance questions in modern democracies, a party represents a group of people with a similar philosophy working towards a common set of policy goals.

That common set of goals is important. You can argue whether the parties of today actually keep to their own principles. At the moment, I’d have to say that, this year, the Dems more or less do and the Reps more or less do not.

My hierarchy, I think.

For governance questions in modern democracies, a party represents a group of people with a similar philosophy working towards a common set of policy goals.

That common set of goals is important. You can argue whether the parties of today actually keep to their own principles. At the moment, I’d have to say that, this year, the Dems more or less do and the Reps more or less do not.

I have said this before -- I was a Republican until I figured out they were crooks, then a Democrat until I figured out they were fools, and a Libertarian until I figured out they were hypocrites. Now I generally don't bother about a person's party allegiance except in some cases where I am attempting to understand their motivation for a particular position.

I have said this before -- I was a Republican until I figured out they were crooks, then a Democrat until I figured out they were fools, and a Libertarian until I figured out they were hypocrites. Now I generally don't bother about a person's party allegiance except in some cases where I am attempting to understand their motivation for a particular position.
Kind of simplistic. Where do Eddie Edwards and Rod Blagojevich fit into your story? Democrats, but crooks.

And plenty of hypocrisy exists in the top two parties. How many Democrats support increasing tax deductions for rich people in blue states? How many law and order Republicans just voted to acquit a man who instigated a riot?

Kind of simplistic. Where do Eddie Edwards and Rod Blagojevich fit into your story? Democrats, but crooks.

And plenty of hypocrisy exists in the top two parties. How many Democrats support increasing tax deductions for rich people in blue states? How many law and order Republicans just voted to acquit a man who instigated a riot?

By the time they came along, I wasn't a Democrat.

I thought the Libertariansmight be a fresh breath of air, but they weren't.

US is best described as a constitutional republic - primarily local decisions made by democratic processes and sum state and most federal decisions bye democratically elected representatives.

Note: Professor, I left a few grammar nuggets so you can beat-your-gills for all to see.

Wonderful. Now list some of the religious wars in the 200 years preceding 1776.

There is a very good reason to leave God off the list.
America is a majority Christian nation, founded on Judeo Christian principles, and never fought religious wars.

Oh wait, a 1619 truther, right?

my family isn’t a particularly traditional one. I’m the Lorelei Gilmore of the clan

and I’d taking an AA higher being in lieu of God. Just a notion that basic morality trumps (hah bad pun) even notions of the state (the nazis and their genocide orders), the constitution (the 3/5ths thing and slavery) and democracy/self-rule (the south during segregation). That ultimately we have a responsibility to do what’s right, with the humility that people often gets “what’s right” wrong.
I have no issue with living your best life, key word being "your"... it's freedom and liberty. Unfortunately, they are currently under attack by the left...it's a matter of Right vs. Wrong and must be pushed back. Yet, these party purist have been completely mentally and morally broken by DT, thus failing to see the gains and ushering in serious damage for the next four years. It was always bigger than DT, he was just the much needed spark. The left is playing for keeps, not a time for weakness.

America is a majority Christian nation, founded on Judeo Christian principles, and never fought religious wars.

Oh wait, a 1619 truther, right?
1619? Nah.

Prof Dad says that the whole 1619 project is at best misnamed and at worst dishonest.

The people on that boat were enslaved in Africa, sold to Portuguese traders, captured by English pirates, and sold in Virginia as indentured servants. The Virginia sale was a step up in an otherwise wretched story.

Virginia didn't even have slavery until decades later, when a black man named Anthony Johnson misused the courts to enslave a black indentured servant named John Casor. Casor was assisted in his appeals by a white farmer named Robert Parker. A second white farmer also testified on Casor's behalf. They failed.

Of course, that history didn't actually fit the NYT narrative. So they went with 1619 instead of 1655 or 1661.

1619? Nah.

Prof Dad says that the whole 1619 project is at best misnamed and at worst dishonest.

The people on that boat were enslaved in Africa, sold to Portuguese traders, captured by English pirates, and sold in Virginia as indentured servants. The Virginia sale was a step up in an otherwise wretched story.

Virginia didn't even have slavery until decades later, when a black man named Anthony Johnson misused the courts to enslave a black indentured servant named John Casor. Casor was assisted in his appeals by a white farmer named Robert Parker. A second white farmer also testified on Casor's behalf. They failed.

Of course, that history didn't actually fit the NYT narrative. So they went with 1619 instead of 1655 or 1661.
Well done! There you go, we agree on something. Good night.

By the time they came along, I wasn't a Democrat.

I thought the Libertariansmight be a fresh breath of air, but they weren't.
I learned to be an American first and then love each other. Dont pick a side bro, trust me. Be a good human and treat kids right and all should go well with your soul.

Back