Legends FC Hires New Development Academy Director

Well kinda like the quote from Independence Day - "well that is not entirely true Mr. President...". Ashley Sanchez was a Legends Player before she was a Blues Player.
And trust me it was all kick and run to Ashley on that U11 Legends team. #1 reason I moved my DD after the season concluded.

My dd was developed at Legends. But was on a B team where winning wasn't as important. She also went to Clint where she honed and shaped her game. But she is now doing pretty well now. I had a younger DD at legends last year but we are taking a year off. Not sure she is a club caliber player. Probably not. I also have experience with KB. He is a solid guy and will do well at Legends. One of the many reasons my DD chose ASU was because of his style of play. Did he always have they personnel to be successful in the Pac 12? No. Did he ever? Not sure. But he stuck to his guns and continued to play possession ball. But to lump an entire club into what a small handful of coaches teach isn't fair. I have been to Blues trainings. My dd is an 2000 and the last few years the Blues team we played would send their first pass back to the Center Back only to have her Kick the ball down the field as far as she could. And that was their ECNL team. My dd's current team is pretty good and most players were developed elsewhere including a few from Legends. But the few things they all have in common are 1. Soccer IQ, and 2. A very good touch. Unfortunately it looks like my run in the club soccer world will be coming to a close in the next year and change. Unless my Youngest decides she wants to go down the same road as my older.

and Trust me, I am not a big fan of HomerKline, as I don't think he a good representative of Legends. But I do Believe Boyd is a very good Hire.

My dd was developed at Legends. But was on a B team where winning wasn't as important. She also went to Clint where she honed and shaped her game. But she is now doing pretty well now. I had a younger DD at legends last year but we are taking a year off. Not sure she is a club caliber player. Probably not. I also have experience with KB. He is a solid guy and will do well at Legends. One of the many reasons my DD chose ASU was because of his style of play. Did he always have they personnel to be successful in the Pac 12? No. Did he ever? Not sure. But he stuck to his guns and continued to play possession ball. But to lump an entire club into what a small handful of coaches teach isn't fair. I have been to Blues trainings. My dd is an 2000 and the last few years the Blues team we played would send their first pass back to the Center Back only to have her Kick the ball down the field as far as she could. And that was their ECNL team. My dd's current team is pretty good and most players were developed elsewhere including a few from Legends. But the few things they all have in common are 1. Soccer IQ, and 2. A very good touch. Unfortunately it looks like my run in the club soccer world will be coming to a close in the next year and change. Unless my Youngest decides she wants to go down the same road as my older.

That is a great anecdote and it sounds like things worked out for your daughter. My questions for you are simple. First, why did you move your older daughter from Legends if things were going so well? Second, when it comes to style of play, what style of play were you looking for as a fit for your player? I haven't watched as many ASU games as you likely have but I'm far from convinced that they play possession. Maybe it is because of the opponents that I saw them play but again I am not convinced.

Congrats to your daughter. The PAC 12 was the top ranked conference last year and will continue to be at or near the top for the foreseeable future.

That is a great anecdote and it sounds like things worked out for your daughter. My questions for you are simple. First, why did you move your older daughter from Legends if things were going so well? Second, when it comes to style of play, what style of play were you looking for as a fit for your player? I haven't watched as many ASU games as you likely have but I'm far from convinced that they play possession. Maybe it is because of the opponents that I saw them play but again I am not convinced.

Congrats to your daughter. The PAC 12 was the top ranked conference last year and will continue to be at or near the top for the foreseeable future.

The reason we left was more of a personality thing. My dd never meshed with the top team girls. Never felt welcomed. She guested with them hoping she would eventually make friends and want to play with them at a higher level. It never happened. And because she guested so much with other teams, she found a team she wanted to play on who treated her great from day one. It was a tough decision. We even tried to go back after a year, but it was the same story. She went to a training, they set up a scrimmage, she played well and looked like she fit in. When she came off the field I asked her how it went. Same old story. One girl said Hi to her, and another said, "I remember you, you were on the B team. What are you doing here?" Needless to say she didn't want to go back. But she needed to play at a high level as she got older. Needed to play with and against better athletes to see if this was something she wanted to continue through college.

As for ASU and KB, we watched them train, and watch lots of matches including many Out of Conference Games. Teams like UCLA and some of the higher caliber teams seemed to be so much quicker to the ball and were just so much faster and simply had more athletes, that I believe it forced them out of their game and into a style that didn't play to their strengths. When you are outmatched and coaching to feed your family that will happen sometimes. Most College teams will resort to very Direct play at some time or another when they are outmatched or even behind in a match. But by the players he has brought in and looking at the next 2 classes, he prefers players that like to keep the ball on the ground. Luckily for the new coach, he tries to play a similar style but will also have to adjust to compete in the Pac 12.

The reason we left was more of a personality thing. My dd never meshed with the top team girls. Never felt welcomed. She guested with them hoping she would eventually make friends and want to play with them at a higher level. It never happened. And because she guested so much with other teams, she found a team she wanted to play on who treated her great from day one. It was a tough decision. We even tried to go back after a year, but it was the same story. She went to a training, they set up a scrimmage, she played well and looked like she fit in. When she came off the field I asked her how it went. Same old story. One girl said Hi to her, and another said, "I remember you, you were on the B team. What are you doing here?" Needless to say she didn't want to go back. But she needed to play at a high level as she got older. Needed to play with and against better athletes to see if this was something she wanted to continue through college.

As for ASU and KB, we watched them train, and watch lots of matches including many Out of Conference Games. Teams like UCLA and some of the higher caliber teams seemed to be so much quicker to the ball and were just so much faster and simply had more athletes, that I believe it forced them out of their game and into a style that didn't play to their strengths. When you are outmatched and coaching to feed your family that will happen sometimes. Most College teams will resort to very Direct play at some time or another when they are outmatched or even behind in a match. But by the players he has brought in and looking at the next 2 classes, he prefers players that like to keep the ball on the ground. Luckily for the new coach, he tries to play a similar style but will also have to adjust to compete in the Pac 12.

This is a great reply and so well thought out that it gave me chills. Clearly you are pragmatic about this club soccer thing. I will also add that your daughter is brilliant. With girls the "fit" has to do with lots of other things than the soccer. The new coach at ASU is surely going to benefit from Boyd's recruiting preferences.

Good luck to your daughter. She sounds like she will do really well next season. I will keep my eye out for her.

This is a great reply and so well thought out that it gave me chills. Clearly you are pragmatic about this club soccer thing. I will also add that your daughter is brilliant. With girls the "fit" has to do with lots of other things than the soccer. The new coach at ASU is surely going to benefit from Boyd's recruiting preferences.

Good luck to your daughter. She sounds like she will do really well next season. I will keep my eye out for her.
Actually she still has another year to go. Class of 2018.

Back