Legends FC Hires New Development Academy Director

CaliKlines

Kevin Boyd, former PAC-12 head coach for the Arizona State Sun Devils and U of California Golden Bears is bringing his experience and leadership to the Legends FC family as the Director of Academy operations. Kevin's knowledge and style will help Legends FC create players that have the strengths and characteristics of US YNT players.

http://www.legendsfc.net/legends-fc-appoints-kevin-boyd/

Last edited:
Kevin Boyd, former PAC-12 head coach for the Arizona State Sun Devils and U of California Golden Bears is bringing his experience and leadership to the Legends FC family as the Director of Academy operations. Kevin's knowledge and style will help Legends FC create players that have the strengths and characteristics of US YNT players.

I love how they emphasize that he was the winningest coach in program history. He was the coach for half the time that they had a program (10 of 21 years) and he has the WORST winning percentage among those coaches and only made the tournament 40% of the time and never made it past the 2nd round. Add to that he had the worst tournament record of any ASU coach and never finished higher than ties for 5th in the PAC 12/10 conference. I guess he was okay at Cal.... No surprise more mediocrity. I'm sure that the style of play will evolve from kickball to advanced kickball now.

I love how they emphasize that he was the winningest coach in program history. He was the coach for half the time that they had a program (10 of 21 years) and he has the WORST winning percentage among those coaches and only made the tournament 40% of the time and never made it past the 2nd round. Add to that he had the worst tournament record of any ASU coach and never finished higher than ties for 5th in the PAC 12/10 conference. I guess he was okay at Cal.... No surprise more mediocrity. I'm sure that the style of play will evolve from kickball to advanced kickball now.
I knew it wouldn't take long...negative, negative, negative. What happened to the new MAPPIE? Full of appreciation and compassion? Trying to BS all of the youngers with the new mellow style? We know the evil that lurks in the core. ;) Now, lets get NoGoal to pile on too!

Stop throwing shade and come on out into the sun!

Last edited:
I knew it wouldn't take long...negative, negative, negative. What happened to the new MAPPIE? Full of appreciation and compassion? Trying to BS all of the youngers with the new mellow style? We know the evil that lurks in the core. ;) Now, lets get NoGoal to pile on too!

Actually a good hire, because we all know Legends is kick and run soccer. Hopefully, Boyd will be able to reverse the years of bad habits the Legends players were taught, lol!;)

It must suck to go from Pac12 Head Coach back to Club/WPSL head coach. Well at least he knows a lot of D1 head coaches and should help Legends with their players recruiting.

Cali I am going to throw shade at Legends until you are no longer the playing the drum for them. I never try to BS anyone. I am going to troll you until I am tired of it. I can be as negative or as positive as the person I am responding to is. The ULittle parent don't know any better. By now you do. I hope that are players meet on the pitch someday. Little MAP is way less forgiving than I am...

Precisely my 1st thought. Isn't that in reverse order?

It's cool for legends but inquiring minds have to ask - Why?

Click on the link in post #6 if you are curious. Legends is giving him a pay raise. With 8,000 B-Z teams they can afford it. He wan't hitting too many milestones as ASU so I imagine the writing was on the wall. Better to quit than be fired and why not take money from a sales organization, I mean soccer club like Legends?

I'm curious as to how many YNT players they recruited successfully at ASU?

Click on the link in post #6 if you are curious. Legends is giving him a pay raise. With 8,000 B-Z teams they can afford it. He wan't hitting too many milestones as ASU so I imagine the writing was on the wall. Better to quit than be fired and why not take money from a sales organization, I mean soccer club like Legends?

Well, we sure didn't need to listen to another Simon Sinek Ted Talk to figure out his "Why".

Without having further insight, I agree that he's seizing the perfect opportunity for his situation.:)

I also saw, Mr Kline post the same info on BigSoccer.

I heard he is now taking Josh's Audi for a car wash and detailing.

I'm curious as to how many YNT players they recruited successfully at ASU?
After watching both the U20 and U17 women's world cup I don't see what is so special about that group of players. They were probably coached poorly, but they also couldn't complete a pass to the midfield or forwards. Since the passing was so poor, it was difficult to tell if anyone could receive a ball, but I didn't see a lot of quality first touches either. It was mostly kick and run soccer.

I don't know the history, but what do these people have against the Legends? Doesn't SCB play long ball too?

I've seen Legends play both direct and possession recently. Maybe they are moving that way as a club, or at least some of their coaches are. My DD's team played an excellent, aggressive, mostly possession-oriented Legends u13 team a couple months ago. It's nice to see teams adopt a more technical/passing style.

After watching both the U20 and U17 women's world cup I don't see what is so special about that group of players. They were probably coached poorly, but they also couldn't complete a pass to the midfield or forwards. Since the passing was so poor, it was difficult to tell if anyone could receive a ball, but I didn't see a lot of quality first touches either. It was mostly kick and run soccer.

You weren't watching that closely. The problem wasn't the players. The U20 WNT could beat 97% of the college teams.

You weren't watching that closely. The problem wasn't the players. The U20 WNT could beat 97% of the college teams.
Then what was the problem? I think the coaching was poor, but so was the passing and the receiving. The inability to pass accurately or check in for a pass has nothing to do with the coach, the style of play, or the phase of the moon. There were some standout players on the team, but most of the team didn't seem all that much different than any other Top 25 D1 team. The U17 team seemed even more average. Neither team had a competent, problem solving midfield and did not appear to have any leader on the field capable of making adjustments to the style of play. As the National Teams, they should have.

Then what was the problem? I think the coaching was poor, but so was the passing and the receiving. The inability to pass accurately or check in for a pass has nothing to do with the coach, the style of play, or the phase of the moon. There were some standout players on the team, but most of the team didn't seem all that much different than any other Top 25 D1 team. The U17 team seemed even more average. Neither team had a competent, problem solving midfield and did not appear to have any leader on the field capable of making adjustments to the style of play. As the National Teams, they should have.

Again you weren't watching that closely. Saying that they couldn't receive a ball under pressure is wrong. The issue again was the tactics used. Launching the ball down the wing to an athletic perimeter player in order to cross the ball in. They selected players for that style of play and to be quite honest with you they wasted Pugh and Sanchez as they are excellent creators. In my opinion, Ogle, Otto and Jean were overmatched and provided just enough discontinuity to throw the whole team off. They didn't have a competent 6 and who was supposed to be the 10? With poorly defined roles it is easy for a team to look confused. When French got out of the way (like the second half against Mexico) they actually put together some nice sequences. Again proper preparation could have solved that. Why not have them play more games against Asian teams and France/Germany? They could have easily set up friendlies against Japanese professional teams and give them exposure to their true weaknesses instead of spending 2 years picking the team! If they were serious they would spend 3 camps max picking the team and then the rest of the time working on a style of play. Not to mention top down mandates to college students with other activities don't work that well either.

Watched 4 games. A number of girls had first touches that went 5-6 feet away from them directly towards the onrushing opponent. This allowed the defense to be in the face of many of the midfielders before they could make a pass. Numerous turnovers throughout. First touch the direction you want to play and keep 1-3 feet away is what you would usually expect. It didn't happen. Losing possession so often in the middle of the field made it difficult to run any offense. I'm not defending the coaching either as I didn't think it was very strong and do agree many players didn't seem suited for their role. Also didn't think Pugh and Sanchez needed to come back to the 18 to help defend as this put them out of position for any type of transition offense.

Back