Learning the Mechanics of Finishing

So finishing is interesting. At the earliest ages it involves learning some mechanics like the touch leading to the shot, where to plant your foot, striking the ball with power and following through, striking with laces as opposed to toe, where and how to look, and learning to not shoot directly at the keeper and to try for the corners without overshooting. But from there it gets complicated. I have a GK, but through his training I've observed that different locations call for a different type of shot. There's the basic rule of tall keeper low shot, small keeper high shot. At around U12-U15 non-futsal players get into lazy habits of trying to strike it always over the goalkeeper since in the big goals they usually can't always manage the cross bar. But really kids should be learning when each shot is appropriate: such as a toe poke for a keeper that's off balance, a chip for a keeper that's off the line, an inside foot for a keeper making a diagonal run towards the wing, a toe flex from a shot way out of the box, striking center of the ball for a low shot in the goalbox, and then there's the really fancy stuff such as curling the ball or knuckling it.

So for parents of attacking players when and where are they learning this (or are they even learning this....have seen quite a few gifted strikers from top level teams only know the 1 basic laces shot)? Watching the last 3 clubs my son played for, most of finishing practice consisted of the basic mechanics of shooting all from the center of the box, which I discounted since they were young teams starting out (of course you learn the basics first). His first club and second club, though, did finishing practice for all the attacking players (regardless of level) together which meant there's always some new bronze team which means starting with the basics again (and neither had any goalkeepers present so adult coaches filled in). At some higher level soccer camps and finishing clinics he attended, I noticed a lot of when playing without others feedling the ball down the center and having the strikers self-practice the shots, or in the alternate, 1 v 1 drills where the emphasis is more passing and finding the opening rather than the mechanics of when and how to take a proper shot.

So where do kids, after learning the basics, pick up the mechanics of learning how to take the various 10-12 different types of shots and their advanced variations? Is this something the current curriculum just expects them to pick up on their own through experiments or watching youtube? Or is it taught in team practice as they get older higher level (I can't imagine most coaches have the time to teach each player the individual mechanics of a particular shot at a particular location on the field)? Or is it only learned in privates?

I think its a combination of natural talent, knowing the proper striking technique in a given situation, quick reaction/decision making and confidence...…..Lots of practice/repetition!

Work on both feet, passing, shooting, and dribbling. When a player can use either at any time effectively they will finish more.

Futstal really helps with getting more touches and finishing at least for my players it did.

Some players just have a nose for the goal and can finish in a variety of ways. Not teaching or using headers any more at the younger ages, wonder if that reduces finishing possibllites?

Practice lots of practice is normally what it takes most player to finish and pass better.

I think its a combination of natural talent, knowing the proper striking technique in a given situation, quick reaction/decision making and confidence...…..Lots of practice/repetition!

Yeah, but where are they picking up the various striking techniques other than the basics? Like I said, some of even the flight 1 strikers I've seen only seem to know the 1 basic shot. But some of them know the various different ways to shoot.

GK, for example, cover particular topics in their sessions. Say for example a particularly type of 1 v 1. But I haven't yet seen a finishing clinic advertised say on "learning the proper use of the toe pick" or "how to curl".

Good question. I have seen very little training in the technical aspects of shooting, I believe you have to get that training on your own.

I don't know how it has become ingrained in American soccer that you have to shoot with your laces. Most shots require accuracy over power, directing a ball with the side of your foot is more accurate (ie passing the ball into the net) than trying to swing and strike a ball with your laces. How often do we see players on a cross misplay the ball because they attempt to swing and hit the ball with their laces when a simple directed deflection with the side of the foot of the cross is easier and more accurate. A cross generates its own power for the most part, the shooter doesn't need to add their own. Very rarely do I see a coach recommend shooting with the side of the foot.

Shooting with your laces for power is great, its just not the "be all, end all" technique for shooting.

The general level of finishing I've witnessed in 8 years is poor. For the most part, it's a 'hit and hope' situation without much (if any) reference to the position of the keeper/goal. I can't count the number of times a side footed placed shot would result in an easy goal and yet the player simply smashes it straight at the keeper with their laces. I've seen this at all levels.

Pickup soccer, futsal, individual practice (ideally with a goalkeeper), additional private coaching...all of these are aspects that would help IMO but pickup soccer and playing with friends at the field (just a few of you with a keeper for example) are the biggest ones. This is where you find creativity and different ways of beating the keeper. Watching professional soccer helps of course (watching top strikers go about their business of finishing) and again, for me not enough kids do that.

I'll finish on this; I've just coached a HS player for the past 6 months who is one of the best 18 yr old finishers (with both feet) I have seen in the time I've lived in the US. I know his background was pickup, futsal and what you might call 'street soccer'. That is not a surprise because that was my background in the UK and I was a striker also. I spent time in a professional environment but my finishing ability and creativity was developed at the field with my friends, not via the result of coaching.

Pickup and individual practice/play are the missing links to so many of the things I see that hold players back from progressing further. We have to stop looking to a coach to try and fix everything.

Pickup soccer, futsal, individual practice (ideally with a goalkeeper), additional private coaching...all of these are aspects that would help IMO but pickup soccer and playing with friends at the field (just a few of you with a keeper for example) are the biggest ones. This is where you find creativity and different ways of beating the keeper. Watching professional soccer helps of course (watching top strikers go about their business of finishing) and again, for me not enough kids do that.

There are 2 aspects to scoring. One is finding the open lane (not being blocked a defender or a keeper), which seems to be the topic at most shooting clinics and camps I've seen. The second is what shot to use when....the technique most seem to want to use is to just rocket it to the keeper and try to get the ball in the net quicker than the keeper can dive.

Futsal is good for the former, rather than the later. It's unfortunate too but a lot of futsal in my area uses pugs or small goals without keepers.

The general level of finishing I've witnessed in 8 years is poor. For the most part, it's a 'hit and hope' situation without much (if any) reference to the position of the keeper/goal. I can't count the number of times a side footed placed shot would result in an easy goal and yet the player simply smashes it straight at the keeper with their laces. I've seen this at all levels.

I'll finish on this; I've just coached a HS player for the past 6 months who is one of the best 18 yr old finishers (with both feet) I have seen in the time I've lived in the US. I know his background was pickup, futsal and what you might call 'street soccer'. That is not a surprise because that was my background in the UK and I was a striker also. I spent time in a professional environment but my finishing ability and creativity was developed at the field with my friends, not via the result of coaching.

Pickup and individual practice/play are the missing links to so many of the things I see that hold players back from progressing further. We have to stop looking to a coach to try and fix everything.
Amen Brotha

You are expected to learn in on your own or via privates. If you’re lucky a coach will correct you when you make an incorrect choice in practice or game. I’ve witnessed zero instruction on this beyond the basics in club training.
Strikers have a lot of extras to learn (like goalies) but unfortunately specialized striker training is not offered (like goalie training usually is).

If this is true, then what were you coaching him on? ;)

I agree that pickup play is the best, but even with all the pickup futsal my son has been doing, a couple of 1-on-1 sessions with a good technical coach helped a ton. He went over very specific stuff like how your leg and foot should "feel" as you strike that created immediate impact.

You are expected to learn in on your own or via privates. If you’re lucky a coach will correct you when you make an incorrect choice in practice or game. I’ve witnessed zero instruction on this beyond the basics in club training.
Strikers have a lot of extras to learn (like goalies) but unfortunately specialized striker training is not offered (like goalie training usually is).

This is disappointing to hear, but would be consistent with what I've observed. I'll tell the story again when I went out for my E-license: I got attacking play from the wing, I set up a second level drill to show 9 year olds how to cross into the box including circling out wide, the touch, getting under the ball, and flexing up your foot so it's a nice gentle lift. The criticism that came back from the CalSouth instructor was that wingers (even 9 year olds) should already know how to cross and not to focus on the technical aspects. When I asked, well where does the 9 year old learn how to properly cross then, the instructor answered that's what privates (or parents) are for

I agree that pickup play is the best, but even with all the pickup futsal my son has been doing, a couple of 1-on-1 sessions with a good technical coach helped a ton. He went over very specific stuff like how your leg and foot should "feel" as you strike that created immediate impact.

VC is a thick 18yr goal scoring machine so unless he wants to learn to play some defense what else should he be taught?

The ball against the wall & net there's about 40 different drills you can do to practice touch, shooting with both feet. Easy to tell who the good strikers are in warm-ups

VC is a thick 18yr goal scoring machine so unless he wants to learn to play some defense what else should he be taught?

The ball against the wall & net there's about 40 different drills you can do to practice touch, shooting with both feet. Easy to tell who the good strikers are in warm-ups
I guess I'm confused, then. How does this: "I spent time in a professional environment but my finishing ability and creativity was developed at the field with my friends, not via the result of coaching..." square with this: "The ball against the wall & net there's about 40 different drills you can do to practice touch, shooting with both feet..."?

I guess I'm confused, then. How does this: "I spent time in a professional environment but my finishing ability and creativity was developed at the field with my friends, not via the result of coaching..." square with this: "The ball against the wall & net there's about 40 different drills you can do to practice touch, shooting with both feet..."?

Two are not related.

You suggested coaching would help a ton and that might be the case for youngers but so does working on your own, playing pickup, futstal and ball on the wall, practicing.

Sure 18yr olds still have some room for growth but it's not like a HS coach is out there 1-1 doing finishing drills with them on his free time when that player is already scoring 1-2 per game consistently.

h

haha, I didn't 'coach' him in that respect. I talked to him and helped him manage his emotional state in some of the crucial moments but I wasn't going to teach him how to be a finisher or where to run; he already has that stuff and doesn't need me or any other coach to teach him.

I'm glad your son got some benefit from the 1-to-1 coaching. Sometimes very small things can make a big difference; nothing can replace pickup and the creativity and natural learning you take from it but 1-to-1 coaching certainly has its place as long as it's not just running in and out of cones with the ball (which is unfortunately 80% of the private coaching I see).

....So for parents of attacking players when and where are they learning this (or are they even learning this....

...Or is it taught in team practice as they get older higher level (I can't imagine most coaches have the time to teach each player the individual mechanics of a particular shot at a particular location on the field)? Or is it only learned in privates?

I am a parent of a striker that now plays for a D1 college. We've thought and seeked solution to the question you're asking over the years. So my response is based on personal dealings with making our son the best he can be as a forward/striker.

The short answer is 60-40 mental decision making and skills respectively, maybe 70-30 even. The very best way to be effective striker is to think about making a shot as just another accurate pass to a payer, except to the net.

All the techniques you're thinking of (e.g., spin, knuckle, power and so on) are just how a striker executes the shot as needed at the situation. It really is the decision making at playing speed first. The game needs to slow down enough for the player to make such a decision so that the player knows when to shoot and what's needed - not just hit it hard. The mechanics of controlling the ball movement can be learned from anywhere and is not striker unique. Paul is right about Futsal and street where the creativity is a big component to help make decisions as well as controlling the ball (since the space is smaller).

The last thing is the striker's movement off the ball. He has to get open and be in a position that can receive and take the shot in the first place. In other words, his soccer IQ and ability to create separation is just is important as ball control.

The very best way to be effective striker is to think about making a shot as just another accurate pass to a payer, except to the net.

100%. Unfortunately, a lot of strikers turn off the thinking and attempt to strike it as hard as possible in a general vicinity away from the keeper. Which often results with it spraying wide, high or going directly to the keeper.

Back