League Play just around the corner

CSL, SCDSL and SDDA how's it look for your squad? Who do you like? Why? As Summer tournament season comes to a close and the calendar year implementation is in place, who benefited the most and who took the worst hit by it?

Last edited:
CSL, SCDSL and SDDA how's it look for your squad? Who do you like? Why? As Summer tournament season comes to a close and the calendar year implementation is in place, who benefited the most and who took the worst hit by it?

we are in SDDA...the competition is good, but I still would have liked to play up north with stronger competition. all of the 2006 teams in San Diego appear to be new teams as most kids from last year teams were from the 2005s. a few kids like 2-3 per team were 2006 and played up last year, but now the majority of the teams are new. it seems that in san diego, the ones that benefited most were the kids on 2nd tier teams. they were able to get looks during try outs and make the first team being that the team was new and starting mostly from scratch... just my opinion..how about you guys up there LA

we are in SDDA...the competition is good, but I still would have liked to play up north with stronger competition. all of the 2006 teams in San Diego appear to be new teams as most kids from last year teams were from the 2005s. a few kids like 2-3 per team were 2006 and played up last year, but now the majority of the teams are new. it seems that in san diego, the ones that benefited most were the kids on 2nd tier teams. they were able to get looks during try outs and make the first team being that the team was new and starting mostly from scratch... just my opinion..how about you guys up there LA
The no header rule mixed things up here. The more experienced teams seem to be more affected by it since heading comes second nature to them. The 1st few weeks will be interesting, we'll see how by mid season the teams will be.

The no header rule mixed things up here. The more experienced teams seem to be more affected by it since heading comes second nature to them. The 1st few weeks will be interesting, we'll see how by mid season the teams will be.
I've noticed that the kids on the better teams are starting to use a "directed" chest ball in place of a header as a way to push the ball to a teammate where they might otherwise have used a header. The problem is that if not done exactly right and the player involves his shoulder and arm in a turning motion, it can be very close to, or can accidentally become, a hand ball. It's also tough to generate the kind of power involved in a head ball, so those chest balls are easily intercepted unless your teammate is very close by.

On the defensive side, lots of high kicks that are quite dangerous. Several times I've seen players on the ground after a boot to the face that was far more dangerous than the header would have been. Fullbacks also attempt to shield a ball that has bounced over them (when they previously would have headed a high bouncing ball), which often results in the defensive player getting run over in a collision or the forward getting tripped by the defender as he runs past. To avoid both of those situations, defenders frequently meet the ball with a foot before it bounces or kick a bouncing ball backwards over their heads. Neither is conducive to possession soccer because it just results in blind booting of the ball.

Corners have been an adventure too. Some teams have worked on plays to keep the ball on the ground, which is good. Some try to hit a near post shot, which is fine but generally ineffective. Others haven't changed anything and the ball just goes over everyone or the ball bounces as kids try various forms of high kicks, chests, and other body parts to put the ball in the net. Goalkeepers have been put in real danger on these types of balls.

So, all in all, it seems like the absence of headers probably has been a wash on the safety front and it has forced some teams to play more possession-oriented soccer, but most have failed if they have even tried at all. It also has inspired some work-arounds (e.g., the directed chest ball or the backwards kick over your head) that aren't really the kinds of things we necessarily want to promote at this age as regular moves.

I've noticed that the kids on the better teams are starting to use a "directed" chest ball in place of a header as a way to push the ball to a teammate where they might otherwise have used a header. The problem is that if not done exactly right and the player involves his shoulder and arm in a turning motion, it can be very close to, or can accidentally become, a hand ball. It's also tough to generate the kind of power involved in a head ball, so those chest balls are easily intercepted unless your teammate is very close by.

On the defensive side, lots of high kicks that are quite dangerous. Several times I've seen players on the ground after a boot to the face that was far more dangerous than the header would have been. Fullbacks also attempt to shield a ball that has bounced over them (when they previously would have headed a high bouncing ball), which often results in the defensive player getting run over in a collision or the forward getting tripped by the defender as he runs past. To avoid both of those situations, defenders frequently meet the ball with a foot before it bounces or kick a bouncing ball backwards over their heads. Neither is conducive to possession soccer because it just results in blind booting of the ball.

Corners have been an adventure too. Some teams have worked on plays to keep the ball on the ground, which is good. Some try to hit a near post shot, which is fine but generally ineffective. Others haven't changed anything and the ball just goes over everyone or the ball bounces as kids try various forms of high kicks, chests, and other body parts to put the ball in the net. Goalkeepers have been put in real danger on these types of balls.

So, all in all, it seems like the absence of headers probably has been a wash on the safety front and it has forced some teams to play more possession-oriented soccer, but most have failed if they have even tried at all. It also has inspired some work-arounds (e.g., the directed chest ball or the backwards kick over your head) that aren't really the kinds of things we necessarily want to promote at this age as regular moves.

Thanks for posting what you have seen thus far. However, my opinion on your last paragraph is the exact opposite of what I have seen.

Due to the fact that defenders aren't able to make the simplest of clearances using their head, I have seen possession oriented teams in the past use a more direct style. In games where the result matters, defenders are at such a disadvantage. They either have to duck and then turn and chase a ball toward their own goal or they jump and turn their back hoping to hit the ball with any body part other than their head. It makes for a very ugly game.

I agree with the short corners, and kids using their chests more...but in my opinion it has had a negative effect on possession.

Yes the new rules changes have made it difficult for the kids to play. However, how is league play for your teams ? Any stand outs or are all the new teams still finding there rhythm.

Thanks for posting what you have seen thus far. However, my opinion on your last paragraph is the exact opposite of what I have seen.

Due to the fact that defenders aren't able to make the simplest of clearances using their head, I have seen possession oriented teams in the past use a more direct style. In games where the result matters, defenders are at such a disadvantage. They either have to duck and then turn and chase a ball toward their own goal or they jump and turn their back hoping to hit the ball with any body part other than their head. It makes for a very ugly game.

I agree with the short corners, and kids using their chests more...but in my opinion it has had a negative effect on possession.
I'm not sure we disagree at all. I was saying that some teams have been trying to bring the ball down to feet and play possession, but most haven't or have failed trying. Also, the kicking the ball over the head maneuver is used after the defender ducks and chases the ball toward his own goal. What has happened is a lot more playing back to the GK in those situations (in part because many fields are in atrocious shape (since 9 v. 9 is generally not played on artificial turf at all) and that is a risky maneuver. Moreover, when it is attempted, the strikers are bearing down hard enough that it often results in the GK booting the ball out or up rather than looking for a pass.

I haven't seen any player try the turn and hit with the back move, although I don't doubt it's happening.

I haven't seen any player try the turn and hit with the back move, although I don't doubt it's happening.

I haven't seen it, and very much doubt that it's happening at anything above a seriously low level.

In all, the rule is stupid but not very impactful. Punts are a bit tougher to deal with, and there's a bit more chasing down of long balls that occurs. But the crap teams are still crap, and the good players have adapted fine.

Sure would like to see how everyone did without having to do all the research...lol
If you would, I'd like to know who took top honors for your division/flight stats would be gr8 but, not necessary. Like I said earlier, I'm just lazy and was just wondering.
League/division/flight and maybe record if known
Thanks

Back