LAFC & Slammers FC Status

Hired Gun

SILVER ELITE
A lot of rumblings around the fields...Does any one know the actual current status of LAFC? Hearing that their ECNL teams may need to move their training grounds to Cal State LA. (This has been rumored for a couple years but seems like a stronger voice currently) Others are expressing that the LAFC and Slammer ECNL teams will be combined and will also move their training grounds to LA as well, in which they will be called LAFC and the Slammer ECNL teams will go to Flight 1 SCDSL... Anyone with any insight? If this actually happens I would imagine many LAFC/Slammer players will be looking for new teams.

First I’ve heard of this.
Who is forcing this? LAFC? Cal-South? ECNL?
Aren’t they really only 2 separate entities so they can have 2 ecnl teams?

Maybe this is why ECNL gave them the honor of Club of the Year....they felt sorry for them!!! They didn’t even win any championships!!! I’m sure that has to be the reason they’re losing the ECNL 2 team spot in each age group! They might be able to get 1 Championship if they only have 1 ECNL team...we will see!

What’s the history of the LAFC tie in? I thought that was for DA purposes. Easier to get DA if tied to an MLS club. Not sure how accurate this is.

What’s the history of the LAFC tie in? I thought that was for DA purposes. Easier to get DA if tied to an MLS club. Not sure how accurate this is.
If I recall correctly after LAFC/Slammers went ECNL they meaning the pro-side would pull out of their commitment in a year or two. And start their own program. This info was given to me a year ago. Can’t say if its still accurate.

If I recall correctly after LAFC/Slammers went ECNL they meaning the pro-side would pull out of their commitment in a year or two. And start their own program. This info was given to me a year ago. Can’t say if its still accurate.
So, per my contact this is still fairly true. Just no time frame or official word from Slammers.

Didn’t they announce “all in ecnl” right about this same time last year? Right after they had sold everyone on DA and fully funded teams?

Didn’t they announce “all in ecnl” right about this same time last year? Right after they had sold everyone on DA and fully funded teams?
Don’t think Slammers was fully funded. But the parents knew of the change before it was announced.

My friends who were going to be on their DA team definitely had some sticker shock with the ecnl switch.
This is true, vertually no notice when change was announced. They were partially fumded and raised the fees significantly when they went to ECNL. I assume they again will give vertually no notice if they move operations. What makes sense is they take back the LAFC name start DA in LA County and Slammers would combine locally and have 1 ECNL team per age group. We'll see.

Maybe this is why ECNL gave them the honor of Club of the Year....they felt sorry for them!!! They didn’t even win any championships!!! I’m sure that has to be the reason they’re losing the ECNL 2 team spot in each age group! They might be able to get 1 Championship if they only have 1 ECNL team...we will see!

What do you mean "losing the ECNL 2 Team Spot"? Can you elaborate?

My friends who were going to be on their DA team definitely had some sticker shock with the ecnl switch.

Nothing on what Surf pulled last year getting families to pay and sign up for ECNL when theyd known for 3 months that ECNL had booted them out when they wouldnt drop DA. The kids were left playing god awful opponents with zero exposure in DPL. This created unhappy families and many left this offseason due to the lies

Nothing on what Surf pulled last year getting families to pay and sign up for ECNL when theyd known for 3 months that ECNL had booted them out when they wouldnt drop DA. The kids were left playing god awful opponents with zero exposure in DPL. This created unhappy families and many left this offseason due to the lies
Will there be an similar "surprises" this year? August 1st is the roster freeze for Cal-South. Does this also include DA/ECNL? Are clubs waiting to make announcements until next Thursday so that their players are locked in?

Will there be an similar "surprises" this year? August 1st is the roster freeze for Cal-South. Does this also include DA/ECNL? Are clubs waiting to make announcements until next Thursday so that their players are locked in?
A player can be added to a DA team after August 1st as long as they are not committed to another DA club.

Yeah- but if they committed to a non-DA team will the prior team make it easy? And/or issue a refund?
This happened to us last season. My son was on a CSL team and in Oct got picked up by a different club's DA team. Coach of the CSL wasn't happy at all which was expected. Got our release and off to the DA team he went. Got kind of lucky since the DA was a fully funded team, so not getting a refund; which wasn't expected; really didn't matter. The only weird thing was that CalSouth labeled my son as "discipline problem" in red after he got released from the CSL club. We called CalSouth and they said that they don't have a label for when a player leaves mid season from CalSouth to goto a DA or ECNL team, so the default reason is discipline reason, which is stupid IMO. CalSouth went ahead and removed that "discipline problem" label and that was that. So yes, a player can leave a CalSouth club to goto a different club's DA or ECNL team.

This happened to us last season. My son was on a CSL team and in Oct got picked up by a different club's DA team. Coach of the CSL wasn't happy at all which was expected. Got our release and off to the DA team he went. Got kind of lucky since the DA was a fully funded team, so not getting a refund; which wasn't expected; really didn't matter. The only weird thing was that CalSouth labeled my son as "discipline problem" in red after he got released from the CSL club. We called CalSouth and they said that they don't have a label for when a player leaves mid season from CalSouth to goto a DA or ECNL team, so the default reason is discipline reason, which is stupid IMO. CalSouth went ahead and removed that "discipline problem" label and that was that. So yes, a player can leave a CalSouth club to goto a different club's DA or ECNL team.

Dang, in October? Why didn’t he join sooner? Or wait a few weeks until the regular season for CSL ends. ( not calling you out. Everyone should always do what is best for their kid. Genuinely curious)
In a perfect world, non-DA teams would be thrilled to promote a kid to a DA team. But moving kids doesn’t pay the bills like having a winning team does.

Dang, in October? Why didn’t he join sooner? Or wait a few weeks until the regular season for CSL ends. ( not calling you out. Everyone should always do what is best for their kid. Genuinely curious)
In a perfect world, non-DA teams would be thrilled to promote a kid to a DA team. But moving kids doesn’t pay the bills like having a winning team does.
Believe me, I was pushing him to finish out the season with his CSL team. It looks very bad that we (or any player) bailed out halfway through the season.

Basically what happened was my son is a goalkeeper, and as you know, keepers are hard to come by. My son's private keeper coach knew the DA coach. The DA coach mentioned to the trainer that he was looking for a new 2nd keeper. The trainer said he's training my son and the coach invited him for a tryout. They liked him and offered him a spot. We asked if he can finish out the season with his team and they basically said take it or leave it, and if we take it to say your good byes to his team that coming weekend. I reminded my son of the backlash he'll get and he was fine with it. So we went for it. Again, I rather had him finish out the season.

As for the CSL coach not being happy, that's just the type of coach he is. He had 2 teams; an A team and a B team. My son was on the B team but was supposed to be on the A team, but you know how politics work on teams. He was more important of looking good for himself so when we left, the B team didn't do so good (being the only keeper) so he looked bad and he didn't like that.

Back