LA Surf is born

The ‘04’s although didn’t get the results that team gave everyone they played a battle.
I do like that idea of keeping stats on “lost but gave the other team a challenge” or “dominated the game even though we lost” or “looked good out there, just unlucky”

It is disappointing to me that EC fell to the giant club dragon. He had a pretty good thing going but looks like he had to be a part of the machine - I doubt he will be able to work and train as a coach as he would like to under his new regime

Could you break down the entire merger? There are holes in this story which makes this situation unclear.
It's the Surf and Barry show. Surf with the money and Barry with the DA status. Barry is the CEO of LA Surf. How Barry got into the mix with Surf shortly after LA Surf creation one can only assume is to get the better teams from SCA as we have seen the stats on the DA Premier teams. Or else why in the hell would Barry want to be part of Surf. We will never know the truth and only assumptions.

Surf brings in financial resources and name brand
SD Surf’s brand. LA Surf was the equivalent to IE Surf essentially until the LA Premier brought DA with it. So Cal Academy provides quality player pool and coaches. With almost 60 teams prior to the merger, I don’t think they were in a hole financially that SGV and So Cal would save them from. It is added fees but they bring their own debts along with them.

SD Surf’s brand. LA Surf was the equivalent to IE Surf essentially until the LA Premier brought DA with it. So Cal Academy provides quality player pool and coaches. With almost 60 teams prior to the merger, I don’t think they were in a hole financially that SGV and So Cal would save them from. It is added fees but they bring their own debts along with them.
LA Surf is fully governed by San Diego Surf just as OC Surf is.

I agree that Surf is the brand and LA Surf is just a new club. That said there are structural differences between the affiliate program and the creation of LA Surf. LA Surf is operating as a part of SD Surf. They do have their own 501 C (3) however they answer to the board of SD Surf. Brian Waltrip who was President and is now COO is on the board of SD Surf. I believe that he will have some say over coaching decisions.

Heard from a reliable source Hazell is leaving SoCal/Surf and taking his ‘05 and ‘07 teams to Breakers...ECNL. Considering Breakers practices on the west side, that commute to/from practice is going to be brutal for parents.

Back