LA Surf Implodes

Attention all youth in France. Baseball is coming for all kids.
"Learn to play the Dodgers way."

"We brought a whole new evolution to how to play the game the right way, the Dodgers way. We teach you how to bunt before you swing for the fence." -- -Coach Hank Smothers
Smothers hales from the great state of Oklahoma. He was all Big Country two years in a row. Played ball at local JC. Almost was drafted and played with Barry Bonds in summer ball.

“A former pro soccer player who is now a coach, would always sell these parents on a “two year plan” for their kids. New flash. There was no plan. His sessions were awful. No one got better and they all left.”

I’m a f... sucker for that two year plan! Year one: development obviously. Year two: the WINNING!

“A former pro soccer player who is now a coach, would always sell these parents on a “two year plan” for their kids. New flash. There was no plan. His sessions were awful. No one got better and they all left.”

I’m a f... sucker for that two year plan! Year one: development obviously. Year two: the WINNING!
No your not bro. You believed in your kid and that is what all parents are supposed to do. My dd did the 16 month, give up your youth for a chance at the holy grail of soccer too. My dd was told from the Doc that the scouts saw something but they weren't sure what it was and to keep paying more and he would share more details with me next year and where she stands with all the other players trying to make the Womans National Team. This is why have this league in the first place, right? Good luck everyone.

Music saved me the last 4 years. As we wait for more news for next years 2020-2021 soccer season, I will provide music that has helped me drift away.

We were all wondering what was happening with LA Surf - no mention of them in any of the DA/GAL/DPL/ECNL/ECRL musical chair updates

By the way, what's the latest on their top teams? I'm guessing the DA teams will play in the new MLS league, the ECNL stays there and now they'll have ECRL as well. is that how it will be?

It was just a matter of time before this exploded, thought it would last longer but didn’t last a year. From what I am hearing all fingers are pointing to LAPFC management for this explosion. Welcome to US Club soccer where greed and wins surpasses your kid and their true development. All the lies and sweet talking these coaches/DOC do with parents is quite sad. Don’t fall for it folks. Remember we are the cu$tomers so choose wisely and do what is in your child best interest. Good Luck to all involved
This is just as true now as it was in February.

The LA Surf organization in itself is a big mess. Since 2008 they have gone through countless switches regarding club identity.
When I joined as a child in the mid 2000s the club was named LAFC. The names that have followed up until today are LAFC Chelsea, Cosmos Academy West (LAFC Cosmos), LA Premier FC, and now LA Surf (which I find amusing because they came into the already existing LA Surf and now have ownership of the name meanwhile the original founders are off doing their own thing now.) Id say the peak of this club was when they were affiliated with the New York Cosmos. I went back during the LA Premier FC in rebrand in 2012 only to see that at tryouts they already have who they want and throw the rest of the kids onto a randomly made up B team so they can continue to take money from those families, with the A team usually being made up of anyone taller than 5’10 so I decided not to join. Also no player movement between A & B teams with the only time both teams were on a field at the same time was for scrimmages before Presidents Cup Nationals in CO. Went back again in 2015 when I was U19 but and coach was great but the team was a Premier lvl team at the bottom of the table with my friends mom complaining why she’s spending $4000 on two kids at a club that can’t win anything and to be fair she had a point so again I decided not to join. Parents also complained why they have the scholarship to the tall fast kid who played like Fernando Torres at Chelsea instead of the midfield maestro who’d dominate the game for us. I say this because I wonder how they’re gonna handle putting a boys team in the MLS League, the ECNL & ECRL, the NPL West, and last but not least their satellite clubs in the SCDSL. Don’t get me wrong I would move teams a lot but that’s only because I was always looking for the cheaper alternative. My parents never supported my club football endeavors so I’d take what I can get. I didn’t give a crap about what team I was on I just wanted to play in competitions better than the Latin American rec leagues. This is just MY experience AS A PLAYER for that organization for all I know everyone else had a great time there. I wonder if there are young folks on this forum that’d like to share their personal experiences too.

Well its my understanding from friends at Golden State , FCGS dad coach took his team over there to form the 06 MLS team and another 05 FCGS also took players for the 05 team.

Did they let you off the contract?
Fcgs?
They did release us but in a way that was not expressly written into their "contract" There was supposed to a chain of events that happened before being released from the club and they failed to do so. Refund for what we have paid so far was denied with no explanation. So we paid for zoom meetings and 2 hours a week of passing drills (AYSO level) that they didn't even break a sweat in the middle of summer? No thanks

What are these surf offshoots smoking?

"The Elite Academy League will act as the reserve division of the new MLS Elite Club League, a platform developed to address player development for MLS Clubs and other elite youth clubs and academies across the US.

The Elite Academy League is the new version of the old Developmental Academy and is a platform developed to address the needs of its membership primarily assisting with properly developing players inside the club’s player pool"

Whoever is writing this stuff is all mixed up or just plane trying to deceive.

Back