LA Galaxy San Diego Unveils New Brand City SC

logo.png
Email: natalie@ourcitysc.com
Phone: 760-434-5600

December 6, 2019

For Immediate Release:

LA Galaxy San Diego Unveils New Brand, City SC, for 2020 Season

LA Galaxy San Diego (LAGSD) has announced that beginning with the 2020 season the club will be rebranding as City Soccer Club (City SC).

After four years wearing the LA Galaxy brand as a member of the LA Galaxy Alliance Club program, the Carlsbad, California based club and US Soccer Development Academy member is excited to continue to build on the success of their player development model and pathway under the new City SC brand.

“City SC represents the core of who we are as a club and we are excited to share the new brand with our members” said City SC Technical Director Steve Cowell. “City SC embodies the values and principles that we were founded upon, most importantly using soccer as a platform to better our community and developing an innovative approach to player development and teaching the game.”

The club will continue their partnership with adidas and is excited to be working with soccerloco as part of the rebrand.

“Sport is medicine. Sport is life. Competition is healthy and builds character. These are some of the values soccerloco lives by, and we hope that every day we can fulfill this social purpose in our community. We also believe City Soccer Club exemplifies these traits, especially with youth development and in particular the elevation of women in the sport,” said soccerloco CEO John Lococo. “We are excited to be part of this growth in the Carlsbad soccer community, and share this passion with City Soccer Club’s youth program, the new re-branding opportunity, and their incredible staff.”

The rebrand comes following recent news that Major League Soccer (MLS) club LA Galaxy will be moving away from aligning with youth clubs via a shared brand.

“While we will no longer wear the LA Galaxy badge, we look forward to continuing to work with the MLS, adidas, and also the National Women’s Soccer League via a shared passion to grow and influence the youth game on a local, regional, national and international level,” said Michael Duggan, City SC Director of Coaching. “We are committed to ensuring that our club continues to provide pathways for players who aspire to reach collegiate, semi-professional and professional ranks on both the boys and girls sides.”

About City SC:
City SC is the largest youth soccer club in San Diego, California with roughly 4,000 members. With a curriculum and player pathway that caters to players of all ages, levels and aspirations, the club offers programming for players aged 4-19 at the recreational, competitive, and US Soccer Development Academy levels.
WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

About Lococo Sports/soccerloco
Founded in 1997, Lococo Sports, and the specialty channel at soccerloco, has rapidly grown into the top destination to buy premium soccer shoes, jerseys, apparel and equipment; both online and in-store. The company carries all of soccer's top brands and dominates the competition in offering their customers the best variety of hand-selected soccer gear on the market. In addition to having an online and in-store presence, Lococo Sports is also the owner of SoccerNation, a leading soccer blog covering real time soccer updates and trends. For more information, please visit soccerloco.com or soccernation.com or follow their Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages.

###​

I don't care for the logo in color, but the black and white version (at the beginning of the video) I think looks pretty cool. The logo, like art, is in the eye of the beholder...I wouldn't pay $120k for a banana taped to a wall so maybe I'm not a good judge of art/logos.

I like the focus on the local community but my concern is that it is just marketing and not substantive. I wish them luck.

They really should have gone with "San Diego Chargers". Would have been a slap in the face to the Spanos family that ruined football (American) for San Diego.

Other alternatives:
La Costa FC/SC (after the resort in Carlsbad)
Turf and Surf (A bit more for Del Mar, but close enough)
Tecolote (or Owls) after the Tecolote Ranunculus flowers in the Carlsbad Flower Fields

Or why not take over the name of a club that has since gone away/been acquired/etc:
West Coast
Eclipse
Blades

They really should have gone with "San Diego Chargers". Would have been a slap in the face to the Spanos family that ruined football (American) for San Diego.

Other alternatives:
La Costa FC/SC (after the resort in Carlsbad)
Turf and Surf (A bit more for Del Mar, but close enough)
Tecolote (or Owls) after the Tecolote Ranunculus flowers in the Carlsbad Flower Fields

Or why not take over the name of a club that has since gone away/been acquired/etc:
West Coast
Eclipse
Blades

WCFC (West Coast) had the best logo and gear. I miss those days. West Coast, you know!!! Seems so long ago.

Why not something that means something to someone - at least Carlsbad United had a geographical reference so people could have a sense of where the club was connected. City SC couldn’t be more vague and generic and doesn’t have a substantive feel to it

Back