LA County Revising Sports Guidelines on Tuesday 8/24 - per LA Times

Kante

PREMIER
FYI, per Eric Sondheimer from the LA Times (see image of his tweet below), the LA County Department of Public Health is in the process of revising sports guidelines with the new guidelines likely to be posted 8/24 Tuesday (tomorrow).

To be clear, the surge in new Covid cases is real and requires real counter-measures.

However, the last round of soccer-related CA covid restrictions - where everywhere in the country was playing soccer except CA - were overdone, not based on good data/sound reasoning and had a significant net negative impact on our kids.

Here are the phone numbers and emails for the LA County Supervisors:
The most effective communication is for the supervisors to hear from folks who live in their district, so providing an address and/or a zip code at the beginning of your communication is key.

Also, reasoned input/arguments that are personalized ( my son/daughter will be affected in x manner), and reference mainstream data and studies (eg, like the one referenced below) are most effective.

Here is the link to a summary of the study done by the University of Wisconsin last summer that showed large net negative impacts of limiting and/or canceling outdoor sports - like soccer - that do not feature intense contact.

Key Points from the study are:
  • The study covered more than 13,000 teenage soccer players over the summer of 2020
  • The study found that canceling sports like soccer directly led to -50% decrease in teenage physical activity and a +300% increase in reported moderate to severe depression among teenagers
  • The study also found that teenagers who continued to play sports like soccer actually were -35% less likely to catch Covid than their nationwide peers, likely due to increased outdoor activity in monitored environments
As you were...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 12.54.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 12.54.23 PM.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 49
FYI, per Eric Sondheimer from the LA Times (see image of his tweet below), the LA County Department of Public Health is in the process of revising sports guidelines with the new guidelines likely to be posted 8/24 Tuesday (tomorrow).

To be clear, the surge in new Covid cases is real and requires real counter-measures.

However, the last round of soccer-related CA covid restrictions - where everywhere in the country was playing soccer except CA - were overdone, not based on good data/sound reasoning and had a significant net negative impact on our kids.

Here are the phone numbers and emails for the LA County Supervisors:
The most effective communication is for the supervisors to hear from folks who live in their district, so providing an address and/or a zip code at the beginning of your communication is key.

Also, reasoned input/arguments that are personalized ( my son/daughter will be affected in x manner), and reference mainstream data and studies (eg, like the one referenced below) are most effective.

Here is the link to a summary of the study done by the University of Wisconsin last summer that showed large net negative impacts of limiting and/or canceling outdoor sports - like soccer - that do not feature intense contact.

Key Points from the study are:
  • The study covered more than 13,000 teenage soccer players over the summer of 2020
  • The study found that canceling sports like soccer directly led to -50% decrease in teenage physical activity and a +300% increase in reported moderate to severe depression among teenagers
  • The study also found that teenagers who continued to play sports like soccer actually were -35% less likely to catch Covid than their nationwide peers, likely due to increased outdoor activity in monitored environments
As you were...
The article that Sondheimer posted in a subsequent tweet talked only about weekly testing protocols for HS athletes (LAUSD already requires weekly testing, as do many private schools, so it wouldn't affect them) and mask-wearing requirements for indoor sports, presumably to match the indoor mask requirement already in effect in LA County. Nothing about testing for non-school sports or about masks for outdoor sports. The fact that it was sent to school principals and then pulled, suggests there was pushback from some schools about the weekly testing.

Is it possible now that Pfizer is fully approved (at least for 16 and over) they require the vaccine for certain high contact or indoor sports? The timing would be right.

What I heard is there going to follow the COVID-19 college protocol for all student athletes. Must be vaccinated or get a exemption to participate.

Football players for example must be tested regardless of vaccination status, soccer players also. Weekly testing coming back for Athletic programs.

Doesn't some districts like LA already test all students weekly that attend in person?

Is it possible now that Pfizer is fully approved (at least for 16 and over) they require the vaccine for certain high contact or indoor sports? The timing would be right.
Grace, you and I know the the same folks....lol. Stop baiting people and tell them the scoop. The timing is right because the schools and these youth sports leagues will do whatever their told to stay in business. Right now they have kids gloves. Soon and very soon it will be, "No Jab, No Play." I already have, "No jab, no job." The Big Guy basically did a hoot hoot to his followers, "Fire all those non Jabbers and dont hire non vaxxers." No jab, no school or sports plus you all have to wear a mask. If you do all this, you get life back as you knew it. Just get rid of those religious folks and critical thinkers. How many more jabs until some of you who were first in line to get the jabs say, "enough!" WAFJAOUHB!!!

It will hopefully be required for all students very soon, as they've already done in Culver City.

None of this letter writing to your LA County Supervisor will matter . What will matter is the special election.
Newsom wins, likely a shutdown . The only reason we are not in a shutdown is the election .:cool:

I disagree completely. We won't have a shut down again anytime soon, election or no election. We are much more vaccinated than other parts of the continental US (READ: the South/Southeast) and hospitals are no where near capacity (I work at a major one and we have numbers for all hospitals in LA County)

New rules are out:

"Under the order, routine testing will be required of all athletes and staff participating in moderate or high-risk sports, regardless of vaccination status. Those include football, basketball, baseball, cheerleading, tennis and soccer, among others.

At a minimum, the county is requiring weekly testing. But testing two times a week is "strongly recommended for unvaccinated participants and staff."

In addition, testing should be done 48 hours before any inter-team competition, with results made available before the event begins.

Athletes, students, coaches and spectators involved in indoor sports must wear masks and can take them off only to eat or drink"

The 48 hr deal was one of the holdups, tough to do for high schoolers unless you have on campus testing in the AM before school or something?

New rules are out:

"Under the order, routine testing will be required of all athletes and staff participating in moderate or high-risk sports, regardless of vaccination status. Those include football, basketball, baseball, cheerleading, tennis and soccer, among others.

At a minimum, the county is requiring weekly testing. But testing two times a week is "strongly recommended for unvaccinated participants and staff."

In addition, testing should be done 48 hours before any inter-team competition, with results made available before the event begins.

Athletes, students, coaches and spectators involved in indoor sports must wear masks and can take them off only to eat or drink"

The 48 hr deal was one of the holdups, tough to do for high schoolers unless you have on campus testing in the AM before school or something?
Seriously, who is getting paid to write up these rules?
Tennis (singles) = low risk
Tennis (doubles) = moderate risk.

SMH.

New rules are out:

It’s ludicrous the amount of money schools are wasting on this. The money should be allocated for more teachers, teachers aids and school therapists!

I'm not reading anywhere that this applies only to school sports. Am I wrong? If it applies to leagues as well, they are going to have to break up the brackets in the respective leagues to deal with this. It will be a shit show if a team from Ventura County needs to test to play a team in LA County...the parents and players won't know what to do and may not be fully informed (or even want to go through that hassel). Unless the other counties sign off on this (and there's no way that happens before the recall election), they'll have to reorganize so that the LA County based teams are redlined out.

It’s ludicrous the amount of money schools are wasting on this. The money should be allocated for more teachers, teachers aids and school therapists!

It's not just schools either, says ALL organized youth sports.

Could possibly be applied to ALL clubs sports beyond student athletes and schools. Regular out of county, area, state play may once again be a reality for LA County based organized youth sports.

I'm not reading anywhere that this applies only to school sports. Am I wrong? If it applies to leagues as well, they are going to have to break up the brackets in the respective leagues to deal with this. It will be a shit show if a team from Ventura County needs to test to play a team in LA County...the parents and players won't know what to do and may not be fully informed (or even want to go through that hassel). Unless the other counties sign off on this (and there's no way that happens before the recall election), they'll have to reorganize so that the LA County based teams are redlined out.

Doesn't mention it's only for school sports, Appendix S...for youth sports leagues (including school sports teams)

So how on earth are Clubs going to be able to afford all of this testing? Get ready for them to pass that expense down to families! Have 2 games in a weekend, get ready to drive to your clubs “test sight” on Thursday and Friday for your mandatory testing.

This is ridiculous!!!!

Doesn't mention it's only for school sports, Appendix S...for youth sports leagues (including school sports teams)

The ones that are going to get the most shafted are the working class teams. Their parents aren't going to be able to haul them out of everything Thursday for testing. Unless the leagues are going to set it up (they won't), other than the FKA Real SoCals of the world with deep pockets, that's pretty much it for most teams. I can't see AYSO doing it either unless the schools test on Thursdays and kids can bring those results (most public schools will be testing Monday/Fridays). My kid is hosed...I can't see them surviving this unless we cross county lines.

So how on earth are Clubs going to be able to afford all of this testing? Get ready for them to pass that expense down to families! Have 2 games in a weekend, get ready to drive to your clubs “test sight” on Thursday and Friday for your mandatory testing.

This is ridiculous!!!!

That's only the bigger clubs. The Latino and smaller clubs aren't going to be able to do that. For the working class parents, it's a struggle to even get the players to get to practice. And for AYSO, forget about it. The big clubs will be able to weather it, everyone else will either cross county lines or that's all she wrote.

Were all living in the, "The Shit Show" Grace. 2 Season is in full swing as we wait to see what these clowns will write for our lives next week. I hear next Fall 3rd season will make the Hunger Games look like kids play :) Last week was the "Fall of Kabul." This weeks "Shit Show" looks like "Jab or no job for dad & mom and no play time for kid" as the kiddos rush back to school with their mask on. The AD's have a hard time because one AD might be so woke they won;t break and allow his team to play vs any non-vax player on opposing team. I will stay away and never go out because dad is so afraid I might get someone the Delta or worse, The Lambda.

This is ridiculous!!!!
So if I understand correctly...lets run through this.

- last year there was no vaccine
- at some point youth started playing games
- there were no issues regarding them playing (ie outbreaks and of course deaths).
- this year lots of people were vaccinated
- AND now they want to test kids before they play games?
Why exactly?

Anything happen last year?

You guys should get on the recall bandwagon.

Time to tell these idiots enough is enough.

Back