Jersey Tug

NickName

SILVER ELITE
I hesitate to post this one as its fairly minor but I'm honestly curious as to the interpretations I get on this site from these. And I'm here alone today drinking Vodka and listening to Tool on some black friday sonos speakers my wife hasnt noticed yet.

Muted due to the slow mo repeat (always sounds like satan trying to escape my computer).

Foul or no?

What league is that? Referees running a dual system, referee in picture has jeans on, white shoes and referee jerseys untucked. Trifling contact and no foul.
That's Simi Valley High School. Maybe it's a scrimmage. Now, I've seen strange things before, but never seen a "referee" (if he is one) wear jeans. No excuse for that.

That's Simi Valley High School. Maybe it's a scrimmage. Now, I've seen strange things before, but never seen a "referee" (if he is one) wear jeans. No excuse for that.
If it was a scrimmage, then maybe the referee is just an assistant coach or some parent volunteer.

I hesitate to post this one as its fairly minor but I'm honestly curious as to the interpretations I get on this site from these. And I'm here alone today drinking Vodka and listening to Tool on some black friday sonos speakers my wife hasnt noticed yet.

Muted due to the slow mo repeat (always sounds like satan trying to escape my computer).

Foul or no?
In my opinion the defender uses the "jersey tug" mainly to slow the forward speed to prevent the player from "taking out" his fellow Goalkeeper.

High School scrimmage (Frosh).

I was waiting for him to change into shorts/cleats before the game. Obviously didn’t happen.

He did have the jersey and patch (borrowed?)

Attacker 11 pushes (arm bar to front chest to hold off defender), Defender in White tugs back ... nothing to call here (neither team is egregiously disadvantaged) unless this has been going on all game, the game temperature is rising, and it needs cleaning up.

Attacker 11 pushes (arm bar to front chest to hold off defender), Defender in White tugs back ... nothing to call here (neither team is egregiously disadvantaged) unless this has been going on all game, the game temperature is rising, and it needs cleaning up.

Well put! Nothing egregious unless game temp needed it called.

Isn’t “slowing the forward speed” basically the definition for the foul? (I’m not a ref)
I would keep a close eye on the temp of the game.....Some would say this is a "tactical foul"or "professional foul", the act was done quickly, nothing to call here.

Does it change any if the arm bar was enough to create space for a shot at the goal?

(honest question. I am new to this.)

Does it change any if the arm bar was enough to create space for a shot at the goal?
If it the space was created similar to shown in the 10-second clip of the two players running, probably no whistle. Players are going to gain advantages through contact that may be fouls, but are trifling in nature. The defender here, although pushed, was likely expecting this level of contact, based on his reaction. Plus they are 15Us in age. It's when they DIS-advantage the opponent (or endanger them, of course) that the whistle needs to blow.

The real answer is, "It depends." It depends on what's been happening in this game -- what the players are content to play through, how the players have been playing with contact up to now, what the referee has allowed up to now (consistency), what the referee sees as "fair" vs. "unfair," does the game "need" a foul called at this time to keep players in order.

The real answer is, "It depends." It depends on what's been happening in this game -- what the players are content to play through, how the players have been playing with contact up to now, what the referee has allowed up to now (consistency), what the referee sees as "fair" vs. "unfair," does the game "need" a foul called at this time to keep players in order.
And of course don't forget, it depends on whether the referee is wearing jeans.

If it the space was created similar to shown in the 10-second clip of the two players running, probably no whistle. Players are going to gain advantages through contact that may be fouls, but are trifling in nature. The defender here, although pushed, was likely expecting this level of contact, based on his reaction. Plus they are 15Us in age. It's when they DIS-advantage the opponent (or endanger them, of course) that the whistle needs to blow.

If it depends on players being content, how should a player indicate that he is not content with the level of contact? And does expressing discontent in that manner actually change anything?

If it depends on players being content, how should a player indicate that he is not content with the level of contact? And does expressing discontent in that manner actually change anything?
Short answers are: verbally, (He pulled me!) and non verbally (hands up in air). And yes it does change something. It doesn't always change the immediate call he is asking for, but it sets the tone for the rest of the game and how its called. The players are the ones that decide what they want to be called, and if both teams are frustrated and want all the ticky-tack fouls to be called, then the good referee is more than happy to pivot mid game and do that.

(Another reason consistency is overrated. Most coaches and parents on the sidelines don't have the proper context of the state of the game on the pitch to understand why a small tug in the 15th minutes is not called but it might be called in the 75th.)

Short answers are: verbally, (He pulled me!) and non verbally (hands up in air). And yes it does change something. It doesn't always change the immediate call he is asking for, but it sets the tone for the rest of the game and how its called. The players are the ones that decide what they want to be called, and if both teams are frustrated and want all the ticky-tack fouls to be called, then the good referee is more than happy to pivot mid game and do that.

(Another reason consistency is overrated. Most coaches and parents on the sidelines don't have the proper context of the state of the game on the pitch to understand why a small tug in the 15th minutes is not called but it might be called in the 75th.)

Well said!

Back