Ivy League Soccer

This a a Monmouth team the beat down TX 4-0. Great season Brown! Monmouth got a great 1st round draw and a TOUGH 2nd round opponent.

Other Ivy's have caught up to Princeton.

What happened to Princeton? They were so good last year.
Their leading scorer for the previous 4 years graduated in 2018. M Asom typically scored 10-12 goals in each of her 4 years at Princeton. To put that in perspective, this season the Tigers leading scorer had 5 goals. Maybe there were injuries and other factors but losing Asom was a big deal. Someone once told me she turned down power 5 offers to play for Princeton.

Going undefeated in the Ivy League is a great accomplishment for the coach who is in her 4th season with Brown. Not sure how they will compete with Monmouth though.

Monmouth is going to beat Brown. The committee wasn't fooled by their paper thin resume. I think that this weekend will be enlightening to those that don't realize the difference between the Power 5 teams and everybody else. I have Santa Clara going to the Elite 8 in my bracket though. Every year that my kid has played their has been an outsider type team that has gotten that far. This year it is the Broncos (they got a dream draw!).

What happened to Princeton? They were so good last year.

Penn won the IV last year. Penn will continue to be good if the coach sticks around. Princeton was very good two years ago. Harvard could be nasty in a couple years. Harvard has a couple of young studs already, but they also have the best recruiting class in the country coming in next year.

Penn won the IV last year. Penn will continue to be good if the coach sticks around. Princeton was very good two years ago. Harvard could be nasty in a couple years. Harvard has a couple of young studs already, but they also have the best recruiting class in the country coming in next year.
They always have the most decorated recruiting class in the IVs but lately that has not translated into the best team in the IV. We shall see.

They always have the most decorated recruiting class in the IVs but lately that has not translated into the best team in the IV. We shall see.

Harvard has the best recruiting class in the country next year. No IV league team ever had this much talent coming in. They also finished second in the IV league this year, with a freshman as their best player.

Harvard has the best recruiting class in the country next year. No IV league team ever had this much talent coming in. They also finished second in the IV league this year, with a freshman as their best player.
Are you suggesting Harvard has recruited a better incoming class than say Stanford ??

If you are to believe Topdrawer Soccer, Harvard appears to have the #1 recruiting class next year in D1. I take most of those rankings with a grain of salt, and think there are many schools with very good classes (both UCLA and USC have some legit talent on the way), but the Harvard class appears to be legit.

That being said, the Harvard studs will be competing in a league with no post-season tourney, travel restrictions while classes are going on, only one way into the NCAA tourney (winning the league), and nowhere near the level of conference competition of a power 5. And you are not on athletic scholarships, so most Ivy coaches come to realize sports is a third priority for their student/athletes, behind academics and socializing (you are also at an IVY to make connections and to become part of that alumni network, not play soccer). There is an art to keeping Ivy athletes engaged which needs to include enjoyment and fun, that is different than coaching at Duke or Stanford, and does not typically include a shared goal of doing whatever it takes to win a national championship.

Back