It's Club Soccer - Don't Complain About it

BTW... Messi is taller then Maradona. Again, part of the problem in the US Soccer world.

You seem to be hung up on height thing. I simply responded to you citing exception rather than a rule by using Messi not being tall but great (implied). Not trying to argue with you. Just simply reacting to your post.

Is height girls soccer thing? Because its not on the boys side. Most good U16+ teams are not stacked by players over 6 feet. Many players in my son's college team is under 6' tall, including mine 5-11. An average height.

Yes Goalies and CBs are usually taller and bigger/thicker but there are exceptions there too. My 2002 boy on flight 1 team is a starting CB and is 5-8 (still growing).

As for looking at prepuberty kids, I should have said boys because they are much later than girls. Not uncommon to have boys finish growing height in college.

This forum has a gender bias and assumes everyone is talking about DD, unless explicitly stated multiple times.

BTW... Mess
Club soccer is recreational, and for the most part so is DA and ECNL.

I understand your frustration but the end product is clearly manifested in the USMNT which couldn't even qualify for the World Cup. It's a lose lose situation because even if you were to develop your player independently he still wouldn't meet the American kick and chase criteria at the upper levels.

Serious parents with semi knowledge of the sport need to either look down south of the border or Europe the ideal destination. Good luck.
Hmm, of 193 countries 31 qualified for WC. Does that mean 162 countries don't know or understand how to play soccer?

I don't think it's lost forever. The current system exists because of some trends out there. One, college has become hypercompetitive and parents have become paranoid about what they need to do to get their kids to succeed (lots of stories about fake charities, kids at kumon from early ages, mandatory music classes for unmusical kids). There has to be a limit, though, to the current rat race as we are seeing in survey after survey that both time and cost are at a break point. Two, our education system is firmly rooted in a belief that no child should be left behind, that every kid has a right to college and that every child (if taught properly) can be Mozart. But despite the many political reforms (from NCLB to Common Core), we are seeing the limits of that strategy as reality always prevails in the end, and the politics will eventually change (don't know if they change right or left, but change is always a certainty). Three, the pendulum swung from the feel-good Millennial generation to the hypercompetitive iGeneration. It will swing again. Four, there's a teaching gap in rec soccer that isn't present in other countries since AYSO and other rec relies about volunteers. But you don't get to choose your coach, everyone gets equal play time, and your coach may not know what they are doing so parents looking to improve their kids (and that don't have the knowledge themselves) need to seek out the so-called professionals. As the crop of kids raised in the late 90s and early 00s begins to have kids, they'll be less of a need for this, particularly as some of the more outlandish aspects of all this become more and more generally known (such as the Eagles contracts, or clubs promising scholarships which in the end don't materialize). I think you are right it might get worse in the immediate future, but I think you are wrong that this lasts forever. The value of club soccer will deteriorate as the US gets more of a soccer culture, and the rules of economics, or supply and demand, are hard and fast.
Don't forget kids with multiple birth certificates!

Seriously? Scouts are looking at prepubescent kids and their parents?

It's all odds. Scouts do this for numerous sports. It gives you an insight on whats to come. Process of elimination, especially for girls. Look at the mother. Especially the hips, height and weight. Its key factor that eliminates quite a few girls from sports around their sophomore year of high school.

If your going to invest in an athlete and distribute a portion of your universitys scholarship funds you better be sure.

If your married, I'm also sure you have been told to take a good look at your mother-in-law because there's a very high percentage your wife's going to end up looking just like her.

It's all odds. Scouts do this for numerous sports. It gives you an insight on whats to come. Process of elimination, especially for girls. Look at the mother. Especially the hips, height and weight. Its key factor that eliminates quite a few girls from sports around their sophomore year of high school.

If your going to invest in an athlete and distribute a portion of your universitys scholarship funds you better be sure.

If your married, I'm also sure you have been told to take a good look at your mother-in-law because there's a very high percentage your wife's going to end up looking just like her.
Dude seriously with this.

I don't think it's lost forever. The current system exists because of some trends out there. One, college has become hypercompetitive and parents have become paranoid about what they need to do to get their kids to succeed (lots of stories about fake charities, kids at kumon from early ages, mandatory music classes for unmusical kids). There has to be a limit, though, to the current rat race as we are seeing in survey after survey that both time and cost are at a break point. Two, our education system is firmly rooted in a belief that no child should be left behind, that every kid has a right to college and that every child (if taught properly) can be Mozart. But despite the many political reforms (from NCLB to Common Core), we are seeing the limits of that strategy as reality always prevails in the end, and the politics will eventually change (don't know if they change right or left, but change is always a certainty). Three, the pendulum swung from the feel-good Millennial generation to the hypercompetitive iGeneration. It will swing again. Four, there's a teaching gap in rec soccer that isn't present in other countries since AYSO and other rec relies about volunteers. But you don't get to choose your coach, everyone gets equal play time, and your coach may not know what they are doing so parents looking to improve their kids (and that don't have the knowledge themselves) need to seek out the so-called professionals. As the crop of kids raised in the late 90s and early 00s begins to have kids, they'll be less of a need for this, particularly as some of the more outlandish aspects of all this become more and more generally known (such as the Eagles contracts, or clubs promising scholarships which in the end don't materialize). I think you are right it might get worse in the immediate future, but I think you are wrong that this lasts forever. The value of club soccer will deteriorate as the US gets more of a soccer culture, and the rules of economics, or supply and demand, are hard and fast.

WOW that is a long read you lost me at.. "I don't think" o_OBut then I went back and tried to comprehend your point and could not do it.;)

Speaking of short players.. just watched Modric burry a shot.
You seem to be hung up on height thing. I simply responded to you citing exception rather than a rule by using Messi not being tall but great (implied). Not trying to argue with you. Just simply reacting to your post.

Is height girls soccer thing? Because its not on the boys side. Most good U16+ teams are not stacked by players over 6 feet. Many players in my son's college team is under 6' tall, including mine 5-11. An average height.

Yes Goalies and CBs are usually taller and bigger/thicker but there are exceptions there too. My 2002 boy on flight 1 team is a starting CB and is 5-8 (still growing).

As for looking at prepuberty kids, I should have said boys because they are much later than girls. Not uncommon to have boys finish growing height in college.

This forum has a gender bias and assumes everyone is talking about DD, unless explicitly stated multiple times.
And I was replying to you saying Messi is the exception. Pro Soccer in Europe is full of small players, that was my point. Anyone playing in La Liga is probably an exception, regardless of height.

I will agree you on a point. It is more difficult for a kid to catch a coaches eye if they don't pass the eye test. Not impossible just harder. It's a sad statement but true.

Hmm, of 193 countries 31 qualified for WC. Does that mean 162 countries don't know or understand how to play soccer?
If you lose to Trinidad and Tobago in order to make the super weak CONCACAF qualification the answer is yes.

If you're Chile in S.America vs elite countries made of World Class talent then the answer is no. Same in regards to Italy in Europe.

Btw you sure do post A lot for someone with little knowledge of the sport.

'Club soccer is recreational' yes.

If you lose to Trinidad and Tobago in order to make the super weak CONCACAF qualification the answer is yes.

If you're Chile in S.America vs elite countries made of World Class talent then the answer is no. Same in regards to Italy in Europe.

Btw you sure do post A lot for someone with little knowledge of the sport.

'Club soccer is recreational' yes.
You don't know me, you don't know what I have done or where I have lived and you certainly don't know what I know. But of course you are all knowing.

Where are you getting your numbers from? And if you feel your kid will never get a scholarship I hope that you are not paying over 2k a year for your kid to play.

If you are looking for only a D1 scholarship then you could have an argument but there are many scholarships availble, you just have to know where your kid fits in.

8% of high school soccer boys get to play college soccer (any college). Of this the average team gives away 9 to 10 scholarships per team. Once you factor in that 10% of the college players are international students, the probability of the 10 scholarships going to international students is much higher than the domestic players.

So of the 450,000 high school boys playing soccer there's no more than 14,000 scholarships available (probably less). That's basically 3% can get a scholarship but the reality it's much lower than this because not all of the schools offer a scholarship and a good amount of these go to international soccer players. My math could be completely wrong but I think these numbers are close enough. So it's not 99% and more like 98% of kids will not get a scholarship :) LOL!!!!

Source: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

It would cool to see that article! And kidding partially aside to know who is on your short list from it. :D The top 11.

My all world short guy team. Pretty decent squad I would say although they wouldn’t enjoy rotating at keeper and corners would be an adventure. :eek:

Ngolo Kante 5’6”
Dani Alves 5’7”
Jordi Alba 5’7”
Marco Verratti 5’6”
Andres Iniesta 5’7”
Eden Hazard 5’7”
David Silva 5’6”
Alexis Sanchez 5’6”
Philippe Coutinho 5’7”
Raheem Sterling 5’6”
Lionel Messi 5’7”

My guess is those American “scouts” so obsessed with size would have passed on almost every one of these guys.

That Bleacher Report article actually includes players 5’9” and shorter. That’s way too easy, as there are too many world class players that size to count! So I challenged myself to field a squad 5’7” or less. By the way looks like I forgot the great Dani Carvajal at 5’7”.

My all world short guy team. Pretty decent squad I would say although they wouldn’t enjoy rotating at keeper and corners would be an adventure. :eek:

Ngolo Kante 5’6”
Dani Alves 5’7”
Jordi Alba 5’7”
Marco Verratti 5’6”
Andres Iniesta 5’7”
Eden Hazard 5’7”
David Silva 5’6”
Alexis Sanchez 5’6”
Philippe Coutinho 5’7”
Raheem Sterling 5’6”
Lionel Messi 5’7”

My guess is those American “scouts” so obsessed with size would have passed on almost every one of these guys.
I am surprised you have Sterling on that list. Maybe Pedro at 5'6.

8% of high school soccer boys get to play college soccer (any college). Of this the average team gives away 9 to 10 scholarships per team. Once you factor in that 10% of the college players are international students, the probability of the 10 scholarships going to international students is much higher than the domestic players.

So of the 450,000 high school boys playing soccer there's no more than 14,000 scholarships available (probably less). That's basically 3% can get a scholarship but the reality it's much lower than this because not all of the schools offer a scholarship and a good amount of these go to international soccer players. My math could be completely wrong but I think these numbers are close enough. So it's not 99% and more like 98% of kids will not get a scholarship :) LOL!!!!

Source: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
That’s not quite right.

To get the scholarship, you have to have grades plus the soccer ability. Soccer is not a revenue sport. Unlike men’s football or basketball, you can’t get in on ability alone. SoCal is viewed as the top recruiting area, so SoCal kids with good grades and starting on an academy team should have an easy time getting scholarships. Kids with shitty grades, they are going to have a tough time no matter how good they are. There are a lot of kids on academy teams with poor grades so even good academy players will not necessarily wind up with a scholarship.

SoCal kids that are good players but not on an academy team and with good grades will have to do College ID camps and showcases to draw interest.

So the numbers you post don’t mean much without the context of grades factored in.

The scholarship money is so little, you will probably have spent more on club fees and driving than any savings you get from a scholarship. The main benefit is, it helps get the kid into a school that fits him, and allows him or her to play in college.

Ngolo Kante 5’6”
Dani Alves 5’7”
Jordi Alba 5’7”
Marco Verratti 5’6”
Andres Iniesta 5’7”
Eden Hazard 5’7”
David Silva 5’6”
Alexis Sanchez 5’6”
Philippe Coutinho 5’7”
Raheem Sterling 5’6”
Lionel Messi 5’7”

I dunno. You’d have to be the shittiest scout ever to miss on those guys.

Back