Is this considered a foul in youth soccer?

I think its funny its titled "Ref loses control of soccer match". I agree with your point, the GK didn't throw out his arm, he just put it up to defend himself - definitely not a foul.

On the other side of the play, I thought the goal should have been called back for offside. The guy who scores waits and tries to stay in a legal position but it appears to me he doesn't quite do it.
I don’t think the title was just for the first three seconds. a look at 2:00 to 2:07. uncalled off field shove by white, followed by dirty tackle by yellow.

while you’re watching the video, take a look at how long it takes the white player to get back up. That’s a concussion, thanks to “let them play”.

Ref did ok and didn't lose control of anything.....

Watching it again, while not a foul, he should've stopped play to check on injured player right after GK collision...but negative energy of game was more a reflection of coaches and kids than the ref.....

@dad4 yes that shove did lead to the retaliation, maybe a yellow for the shove would've prevented it....so you make a good point I just don't see the ref as the only issue here

Watching it again, while not a foul, he should've stopped play to check on injured player right after GK collision...but negative energy of game was more a reflection of coaches and kids than the ref.....

@dad4 yes that shove did lead to the retaliation, maybe a yellow for the shove would've prevented it....so you make a good point I just don't see the ref as the only issue here

At that age? Not sure that's true. Otherwise the instruction would develop for any player in such a situation to dive and simulate to stop a promising attack. At U12, o.k.

Because the shove took place outside of the lines, I"m not sure the ref saw it. The ref had already cautioned the GK for inappropriate behavior a few seconds earlier. I doubt if he had seen the shove, he would have let it slide. From the earlier discussion, that's where it's up to a player to do the Neymar, and sell the foul so the ref sees him go down.

The offside call is on the AR.

That's just a great fearless play on the goalie's part. Coach setting horrible example with his behavior berating ref.

1. The white player ran full tilt into a keeper twice his size who was playing the ball. When I was that age I was also a skinny forward and I got the wind knocked out of me a couple of times in fair plays against bigger players. Learn to pick your battles.

2. Not a good angle to judge offside on the following goal, but a good enough angle to ask about it.

3. I assume the yellow to the keeper was for swatting at the players who rushed him. It looked like the keeper's teammates were calm about the whole thing - maybe they had a comfortable lead at that time. Should the aggressive forwards also have been cautioned?

4. The red card on the tackle near the end - good call by the ref. The yellow team stays pretty calm about it - another reason to believe they have a good lead or consider the other team to be an easy opponent.

5. Who is the "George Langevin" whose name appears in the closing credits? It looks like he is the person who assigned the misleading title to the video - if anyone is losing control it is the white team coach. That leads me to believe that GL is a supporter of the white team (and maybe one of those shouting obscenities at the referee?).

You have a reckless challenge by white, a clothesline by yellow, a shove by yellow, a shove by white, and a dangerous tackle by yellow.

dirty game, with two plays that seriously risked injury. not really a strong argument for “no foul”. if anything, it needed some fouls called early to encourage a bit of caution by both teams.

You have a reckless challenge by white, a clothesline by yellow, a shove by yellow, a shove by white, and a dangerous tackle by yellow.

dirty game, with two plays that seriously risked injury. not really a strong argument for “no foul”. if anything, it needed some fouls called early to encourage a bit of caution by both teams.

Curious here. So we don't get to see what happened before, so we don't know if any fouls went uncalled. But with the "reckless challenge by white" I'm assuming you are referring to the applicable first few seconds of the clip where white runs into the GK? Do you feel therefore that when white went down, not only should the referee have stopped the game (to check on white), but rather than call advantage on the play have called a foul and carded white for the reckless charge? I'm very much a rules ref (though I have gotten a lot more "let em play" over time, particularly at 11v11 as they get older), and there is a school of though out there that says the refs should call a bunch of stuff early to set the tenor of the game and let the players know stuff won't be tolerated, but such a position is on the extreme side and advocates for disregarding the advantage rule (which I'd do for an AYSO youngers game, but not at this age group).

I don’t think the title was just for the first three seconds. a look at 2:00 to 2:07. uncalled off field shove by white, followed by dirty tackle by yellow.

while you’re watching the video, take a look at how long it takes the white player to get back up. That’s a concussion, thanks to “let them play”.
Where’s the concussed player you speak of?

Concussed player is the white player who ran into the clothesline and lay on the ground 60+ seconds holding his head.

I am inclined to say stop play, two cards, and send off per concussion protocol.

Here's a funny ask for a charging foul in the first few minutes of the below clip. The white player runs at the GK and seems to run into the GK. The GK seems to raise a slight arm to block the charge. The white player is much smaller than the GK and goes down. In this case even though both players are entitled to their space, and even though the smaller player went down, the GK had possession of the ball, so no call, despite the ferocity of the collision, and despite the complaints from the side line.

On this one, the white player is obviously going at the keeper instead of the ball. At that angle and pace, that's all he's after. There's no way he can avoiding trucking the keeper and, IMO, the keeper just protects himself.

Not sure what I would have done real time but for the sake of discussion I’ll make the argument for no call.

1) Both players arrive largely at the same time chasing at 50/50 ball
2) yellow does give a strong shoulder, but it isn’t reckless or high in the head area. Also green does prepare herself to take and /or give her own level of contact.
3) there is a play of the ball it’s just with her back foot and not the lead foot.

just because the green player loses the battle of physicality does require it to be a foul.

at the adult or college level I wouldn’t call this. High school age level depends on type of game and skill levels. Younger youth levels likely gets a call

If you watch it again, yellow has 2 players chasing the ball. The blonde (yellow) in the middle simply veers to her left for the sole purpose of taking the green player out... almost like she's blocking for her running back that she knew would end up with the ball. She makes absolutely no attempt at the ball until after she plows her opponent over.

Concussed player is the white player who ran into the clothesline and lay on the ground 60+ seconds holding his head.

I am inclined to say stop play, two cards, and send off per concussion protocol.
That sucks if he was concussed but I didn’t see any contact that would have caused a concussion. Looks like he initiated contact with the goalie and lost the battle. As he fell he braces himself and his head never made contact with the goalie or ground. I’m not a medical professional, I’m just sayin. Good no call but that was off sides.

Yep, ref was fine. You can't stop the break in the other direction because the white player ran into someone and was not at any risk of further injury. Maybe "white team" or "white team coach" loses control would be more appropriate.

The Yellow GK didn't do much to deserve the Caution, but his being carded was indicative of good reffing at that point in time - a sign that he was going to call it closer until things settled down.

Here's a funny ask for a charging foul in the first few minutes of the below clip. The white player runs at the GK and seems to run into the GK. The GK seems to raise a slight arm to block the charge. The white player is much smaller than the GK and goes down. In this case even though both players are entitled to their space, and even though the smaller player went down, the GK had possession of the ball, so no call, despite the ferocity of the collision, and despite the complaints from the side line.

first play. no foul. keeper was bigger, sorry bout that. coach should have been tossed, or at least yellow carded. only mistake i see the ref make was after the card on the keeper, other team should have had an IDFK at that spot.
the little shove on the throw in was nothing. just some boys playing a game. red card correct.

the question about a head injury is tough. didn't look to me like it was clearly a head injury at first. looked more like he got the wind knocked out and then milked it because he lost the battle. But after the fact he should have been checked.

That sucks if he was concussed but I didn’t see any contact that would have caused a concussion. Looks like he initiated contact with the goalie and lost the battle. As he fell he braces himself and his head never made contact with the goalie or ground. I’m not a medical professional, I’m just sayin. Good no call but that was off sides.
it looked like it might have been offside. but the angle can be decieving and it did look like the winger was angling his run inside before the ball was delivered.

Back