Is Surf Cup happening?

Spfister

SILVER
Nor-cal parent here wondering what you all in So-cal are hearing?

Yes. The 4 weekends of August. I heard less teams this year. The ref association is preparing for it to happen.

Yes. The 4 weekends of August. I heard less teams this year. The ref association is preparing for it to happen.
First 3 weekends of August divided up by age group. I don’t expect to see teams flying to surf cup this year so I’d expect it to be Socal, norcal, AZ and NV. Two days instead of 3 and It will also be only 3 games not the usual 3 group stage games then semis and finals.

Attachments

• 4B63555E-914E-4C39-B47E-FDC6119DE605.jpeg
    4B63555E-914E-4C39-B47E-FDC6119DE605.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 149
sadly not really worth it this year but I do think it goes ahead
The important thing here is the girls and boys can go get some exercise and play some games. Maybe less and local ((anyone from the SW)) can play at Surf Cup in early August ((might be too early for some teams)) and Silver Lakes Aug 21-23. All the top college coaches can check out both now. This is very good for SW players in any league. Let's play ball!!

Possibly but without spectators.

County Heath dept will have to ok something I understand that hasn't been done just yet but there's still time.

For olders in the first week of aug I dunno if that practical for SoCal teams given the return to play guidelines and timelines.

Youngers yeah that seems more doable since there later August.

County Heath dept will have to ok something I understand that hasn't been done just yet but there's still time.

For olders in the first week of aug I dunno if that practical for SoCal teams given the return to play guidelines and timelines.

The return to play guidelines say 2 weeks for each phase. So let’s say you start this week as many in SoCal are. That means 2 weeks in ecnl’s phase 2, 2 weeks in ecnl phase 3 (small sided games), then you have 3 weeks until surf cup with full practice. I’d agree that it’s a little on the short side but it’s only 3 games so I’d think it’s doable and hope coaches rotate players.

sadly not really worth it this year but I do think it goes ahead
Ask your player if it’s worth it, they will say yes. You will still play some of the best teams in CA, NV and AZ but yes it will be smaller in scale compared to previous years. It’s not really a tournament, more of a showcase so probably no trophies, i know some really care about that. The only people that don’t think it’s worth it is crazy soccer moms and dads that want to be able to brag about who they beat. Just go and let the kids have a fun weekend out of the house, there will be plenty of opportunities for us crazy parents to get excited about matchups in the fall. Take one for the kids.

Ask your player if it’s worth it, they will say yes. You will still play some of the best teams in CA, NV and AZ but yes it will be smaller in scale compared to previous years. It’s not really a tournament, more of a showcase so probably no trophies, i know some really care about that. The only people that don’t think it’s worth it is crazy soccer moms and dads that want to be able to brag about who they beat. Just go and let the kids have a fun weekend out of the house, there will be plenty of opportunities for us crazy parents to get excited about matchups in the fall. Take one for the kids.

For the olders Man City cup on 9/5-7 appears to much more practical for the high dollar fees there asking with more to play for vs teams you don't normally play against.

The no spectator thing could be a bummer for either so not sure how that might shake out.

When I looked at teams signed up for olders surf boys so far, didn't see much of anybody local besides surf but maybe there will be a bunch the last minute? Almost all out of Towner' but just a fraction of what you would normally see.

So parents drop off the youngers, youngers find their way to field. No parent supervision, coach has two or three teams, that should be interesting. :)

Can't we do both and? However, I will 100% take one for the kiddos :)

So parents drop off the youngers, youngers find their way to field. No parent supervision, coach has two or three teams, that should be interesting. :)

Yeah mentioned that on the return to practice thread.

Still going to have to pay for parking and you think the lines where long before wait for the pickup and drop off queues, talk about your extra time..

If Wilma Wooten has her way Surf Cup will not happen. She doesn’t even feel people should have family over for BBQ’s until sometime next year. She has kept her long term thoughts to herself until she slipped up at the last San Diego County press conference. She has more power than the Board of Supervisors and it would take the governor allowing youth sports to make games possible. I understand not everyone would like to allow kids to play soccer games. I am in favor of opening up youth sports and don’t understand why those who have the freedom to choose not to have their kids play want to take away my freedom to make decisions for my family.

When I looked at teams signed up for olders surf boys so far, didn't see much of anybody local besides surf but maybe there will be a bunch the last minute? Almost all out of Towner' but just a fraction of what you would normally see.

Where can I find such a list???

If Wilma Wooten has her way Surf Cup will not happen. She doesn’t even feel people should have family over for BBQ’s until sometime next year. She has kept her long term thoughts to herself until she slipped up at the last San Diego County press conference. She has more power than the Board of Supervisors and it would take the governor allowing youth sports to make games possible. I understand not everyone would like to allow kids to play soccer games. I am in favor of opening up youth sports and don’t understand why those who have the freedom to choose not to have their kids play want to take away my freedom to make decisions for my family.
Don;t mess with Wilma. Wow, that's hard core and it's the law so you better all listen up down there. If my health boss say's the same thing up in OC, I will obey them too. So hard to follow the rules and the laws but in order to have true peace, we need to obey. They know what's best to keep us all safe.

I was talking to a friend and it might just come down to getting a little 04' Goat FC Independent league going. This is how it could work. Kicker ((South Bay/LA)), Tech (IE), 808 ((SD)) and EJ ((OC)) all each get a Goat FC 04 team together and go play somewhere. Surfref and others can ref for us. No mask for the girls, only the parents and players. Bring your squad and lets play soccer. My dd woke me up this morning with a nice hot breakfast and asked me to take her to work on shooting. What a FDP, I was thankful.

Last edited:
The important thing here is the girls and boys can go get some exercise and play some games. Maybe less and local ((anyone from the SW)) can play at Surf Cup in early August ((might be too early for some teams)) and Silver Lakes Aug 21-23. All the top college coaches can check out both now. This is very good for SW players in any league. Let's play ball!!
Unless the colleges are local, most won’t attend since they will be practicing. Teams should really look into recording any games they play so their players can share video with coaches, as I suspect recruiting will be handled very differently over the rest of the year and into next year.

Unless the colleges are local, most won’t attend since they will be practicing. Teams should really look into recording any games they play so their players can share video with coaches, as I suspect recruiting will be handled very differently over the rest of the year and into next year.
I should have said, "if all the local college coaches and those outside of Socal..........."

Last edited:

I don't think it's worth driving from NorCal to San Diego for 3 games... period. 10 hours each way? That's happened before. With no college coaches? No.

Back