Is Surf Cup happening?

Yikes this is not a positive story and while i don't have any medical background the last couple paragraphs don't look good for any tournaments:

Just going to leave this here......

“A correlated increase in hospital stays, ICU visits and ventilator usage has not occurred”

the more you test the more you find, the metric
That matters isn’t increasing as quoted from the article

Just going to leave this here......

“A correlated increase in hospital stays, ICU visits and ventilator usage has not occurred”

the more you test the more you find, the metric
That matters isn’t increasing as quoted from the article

that was half of the quote.

”A correlated increase in hospital stays, ICU visits and ventilator usage has not occurred, but Fletcher said those are lagging indicators and are likely to increase if the number of positive cases continues to rise.”

that was half of the quote.

”A correlated increase in hospital stays, ICU visits and ventilator usage has not occurred, but Fletcher said those are lagging indicators and are likely to increase if the number of positive cases continues to rise.”
No guarantee this lagging indicator shows up and until it does, no action should be taken to close down youth sports or damage the economy even more

No guarantee this lagging indicator shows up and until it does, no action should be taken to close down youth sports or damage the economy even more
Why do we pay billions of dollars to fund CDC amd NIH if we are going to ignore them during a crisis?

We paid good money for expert advice. The experts have told us to wear masks and limit gatherings. Time for all of us to get with the program.

That said, I agree with you on sports. I keep looking for the news report about an infection cluster triggered by an outdoor basketball game, and I haven’t been able to find one.

But, while our kids play, we parents should put on our masks and go for a walk.

Why do we pay billions of dollars to fund CDC amd NIH if we are going to ignore them during a crisis?

We paid good money for expert advice. The experts have told us to wear masks and limit gatherings. Time for all of us to get with the program.

That said, I agree with you on sports. I keep looking for the news report about an infection cluster triggered by an outdoor basketball game, and I haven’t been able to find one.

But, while our kids play, we parents should put on our masks and go for a walk.
There's also a big difference between tournaments and playing in games. I would much rather we focus on just getting back to allowing games to be played and ensuring a fall league than trying to have tournaments in August that are essentially large gatherings. Pick the battle you are most likely to win. If you really just want the kids to return to play then getting games allowed versus tournaments is more realistic.

Why is it so important to play a tournament this summer for players? Clubs want the revenue of course, but does your kid really NEED to play in a game or tournament this summer? No. Maybe the only age group who could make a valid argument would be the college hopeful 2004s and 2003s. So have one FREE (or cost of field/traffic rental split by all clubs - no profit to Silver Lakes) event only for those ages at Silver Lakes that requires testing no earlier than 48 hours prior and proof of a negative test submitted with other registration docs, checks temperatures of all people on the day of, permits only one parent on the sideline, requires facemasks for everyone except the players on the field (refs must wear a mask too), invite college scouts (also masked), doesn't allow food or beverage vendors, no carpooling, and consists of two games, Friday - Sunday or Saturday - Monday.

After, those teams/players go into self-isolation for 14 days or at least don't have practice for two weeks. Then resume.

It would really suck if we have Surf cup but then some players / parents wind up sick and then the fall season gets cancelled. (I realize this is very hypothetical. And along the same lines of “you won’t get in a car accident if you don’t drive”

It would really suck if we have Surf cup but then some players / parents wind up sick and then the fall season gets cancelled. (I realize this is very hypothetical. And along the same lines of “you won’t get in a car accident if you don’t drive”
Yes it would just like when it happens if someone goes to the beach and picks up the virus. The virus is out and about and has been probably since November or December everyone. I personally just want games to be played. If surf is up, then great. If we just scrimmage, great. if we wait until fall ball, great. If we shut down all fall, oh well and I will follow and obey the rules. All and all, it will be great and some soccer will be played this summer.

Yes it would just like when it happens if someone goes to the beach and picks up the virus. The virus is out and about and has been probably since November or December everyone. I personally just want games to be played. If surf is up, then great. If we just scrimmage, great. if we wait until fall ball, great. If we shut down all fall, oh well and I will follow and obey the rules. All and all, it will be great and some soccer will be played this summer.
except that, if EJ goes surfing today and gets the virus, the county won’t decide to shut down the fall season.

If we all go to surf cup and 100 of us get the virus, the county will decide to shutdown the fall season.

Better to scrub the tournaments and save the league games.

except that, if EJ goes surfing today and gets the virus, the county won’t decide to shut down the fall season.

If we all go to surf cup and 100 of us get the virus, the county will decide to shutdown the fall season.

Better to scrub the tournaments and save the league games.
I'm ok with no tournament. I'm also ok with no parents or coaches and just live stream the games at the tournaments for college coaches. Tournaments are fun for some girls who like to play ganas games. Parents can drop off and watch game later. I'm good with whatever as long as my kid can play a soccer before we shut down again.

Why is it so important to play a tournament this summer for players? Clubs want the revenue of course, but does your kid really NEED to play in a game or tournament this summer? No. Maybe the only age group who could make a valid argument would be the college hopeful 2004s and 2003s. So have one FREE (or cost of field/traffic rental split by all clubs - no profit to Silver Lakes) event only for those ages at Silver Lakes that requires testing no earlier than 48 hours prior and proof of a negative test submitted with other registration docs, checks temperatures of all people on the day of, permits only one parent on the sideline, requires facemasks for everyone except the players on the field (refs must wear a mask too), invite college scouts (also masked), doesn't allow food or beverage vendors, no carpooling, and consists of two games, Friday - Sunday or Saturday - Monday.

After, those teams/players go into self-isolation for 14 days or at least don't have practice for two weeks. Then resume.

Hey look, someone actually proposing something in the best interests of the kids. This is a great idea. My kid's club thinks they are playing tournaments with Albion, Strikers and Surf Cup in a three week period. Just not realistic to get so many families in one spot, but having a showcase for players that actually benefit from a showcase and them only is a brilliant thought and great compromise. Everyone else can play friendlies on their practice fields.

Waist high sets with a few stragglers yesterday afternoon.

Seemed to be less this morning out of the NW, background was about it.
Not at my secret spot that has a man made reef when swell is down.....lol!!! .I was just playing with dad of 4 :)

Hey look, someone actually proposing something in the best interests of the kids. This is a great idea. My kid's club thinks they are playing tournaments with Albion, Strikers and Surf Cup in a three week period. Just not realistic to get so many families in one spot, but having a showcase for players that actually benefit from a showcase and them only is a brilliant thought and great compromise. Everyone else can play friendlies on their practice fields.
Thumbs up. Three or four similar teams can play a round robin in 3 days. Send the tapes to coaches/scouts who need them.

Then take some some time off for training and recovery, which also gives you enough time to know if any of the players or parents got covid.

Back