Is Surf Cup happening?

I don't think it's worth driving from NorCal to San Diego for 3 games... period. 10 hours each way? That's happened before. With no college coaches? No.

With the dead period to at least July 31st have to wonder if they would find much
value in seeing a limited amount of teams with players in early preseason form, could justify or get travel approval, or don't have local things going on they need to deal with

So parents drop off the youngers, youngers find their way to field. No parent supervision, coach has two or three teams, that should be interesting. :)
I don’t see that happening. No way I’m dripping my kid off and just letting him wander around with a coach busy worrying about other stuff. If they keep it to minimum of parents it can be doable. Grand ma and grandpa can stay home just mom and dad

think with your brains and not your hearts...or in the case of Surf, your wallet....

in order to play games, health officials must agree that it is totally fine to NOT social distance (because kids are not playing with masks). There is no way that in 6 weeks, any government authority in California is going to say that. Masks and social distancing are here to stay through summer for sure.

the professional leagues have been able to play without social distancing only with a very elaborate testing, isolation, and tracking process implemented. that is not do-able for the kids and families.

hope for sports to be allowed in schools in fall - that will be our best chance due to more oversight and accountability by educators, not Surf Cup execs motivated by $$

Surf trying to gain leverage with the signups -- "look, we have all of these teams and clubs coming, so approve it." Not going to work this time.

think with your brains and not your hearts...or in the case of Surf, your wallet....

in order to play games, health officials must agree that it is totally fine to NOT social distance (because kids are not playing with masks). There is no way that in 6 weeks, any government authority in California is going to say that. Masks and social distancing are here to stay through summer for sure.

the professional leagues have been able to play without social distancing only with a very elaborate testing, isolation, and tracking process implemented. that is not do-able for the kids and families.

hope for sports to be allowed in schools in fall - that will be our best chance due to more oversight and accountability by educators, not Surf Cup execs motivated by $$

Surf trying to gain leverage with the signups -- "look, we have all of these teams and clubs coming, so approve it." Not going to work this time.
Totally agree. Surf is trying to do whatever they can for revenue, understandably. However, I just don't see this working logistically for many of reasons. Especially with the recent spikes in cases.

I don’t see that happening. No way I’m dripping my kid off and just letting him wander around with a coach busy worrying about other stuff. If they keep it to minimum of parents it can be doable. Grand ma and grandpa can stay home just mom and dad

Not sure there is enough room for 2 parents per plus 6 feet with mask with a traditional field tournament setup. Would need a lot more field space for every match, significant reduction in the number of teams, or some distant quarantine hut deal or something?

SD county seems like there serious about the mask requirements:

EbF1xfIUEAAwjI_

If they do the same thing that started about 6 months ago where teams are on opposite sides of the field across from each other , they could probably make it work. theres plenty of room that way and the fields always seem like there 10 yards apart. I hope it happens for my own selfish reasons but Im ok either way, safety first, soccer second. I know people are asking to me to film but I cannot book anything just yet, any word on albions tournament thats in July??

And the best part... FREE MERCHANDISE for everybody!
Nice, that said, I'm sure Surf is already racking up the exclusive "Surf Cup Face Masks" for sale. Knowing Surf, there will probably be a stall at the entrance beside the sign that says masks are suddenly compulsory ... for $afety reasons :)

If they do the same thing that started about 6 months ago where teams are on opposite sides of the field across from each other , they could probably make it work. theres plenty of room that way and the fields always seem like there 10 yards apart. I hope it happens for my own selfish reasons but Im ok either way, safety first, soccer second. I know people are asking to me to film but I cannot book anything just yet, any word on albions tournament thats in July??

You've got 30 players touching the same ball and sweating on each other. How would separating teams change anything?

You've got 30 players touching the same ball and sweating on each other. How would separating teams change anything?
Its not about safety, its about the illusion of safety. Clearly, its just rank BS to have face mask & separation policies while teams go at it hammer & thongs on the field ... but the kids gotta play and everyone needs to feel like its "safe" - LMAO.

Pick your poison IMV.

Its not about safety, its about the illusion of safety. Clearly, its just rank BS to have face mask & separation policies while teams go at it hammer & thongs on the field ... but the kids gotta play and everyone needs to feel like its "safe" - LMAO.

It's saying something that the best hope for August tournaments is that they'll be "security theatre". They're opening up the movie theatres and requiring masks except when you are eating. The problem is they won't ban concessions and people eat popcorn or candy throughout the entire film. Add to that it's dark and no one is going to police it, unless it's the random Karen or two. Add to that it's the worst environment for viral spread (indoors, air conditioning). At a minimum, for team sports, they'll have to make a carve out for the face mask requirement for athletic sport, but that as others have said would require them basically saying no more social distancing. I think it can go either way at this point (meh...we opened the movie theatres we may as well allow kids sports v. kids aren't going back to school in the fall anyway so we can't allow this either).

The government officials and so-called "experts" will continue to play folks like a fiddle as long as folks take it... I for one am about done with all of it, the impact this is having on lives and freedoms, especially kids...it's gone too far. They work for us, we're the paying customers. Time to drop the Karen BS and get back to being The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Play Ball!

The government officials and so-called "experts" will continue to play folks like a fiddle as long as folks take it... I for one am about done with all of it, the impact this is having on lives and freedoms, especially kids...it's gone too far. They work for us, we're the paying customers. Time to drop the Karen BS and get back to being The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Play Ball!
Game on!!! 0-0 for everyone :)

1592924785979.png

Which Experts are we talking about here? The ones that said the mortality rate was 5%? The Experts that said the general public doesnt need masks? I think we need better Experts.

Back