Is it a Goal? U11 Game Hits Player on Head

Question for referees: U11 game-no heading allowed. Opposing team gets free kick near corner flag. Our player gets jumped by opposing player on her back in front of goal -looks like she was fouled- ball comes in lands on back of her head and goes into goal. Other team gets awarded goal. Cal south states it was an accidental heading and goal stands. Correct?

Question for referees: U11 game-no heading allowed. Opposing team gets free kick near corner flag. Our player gets jumped by opposing player on her back in front of goal -looks like she was fouled- ball comes in lands on back of her head and goes into goal. Other team gets awarded goal. Cal south states it was an accidental heading and goal stands. Correct?
If the ref determined the header to be unintentional, then the call is correct.

The ironic thing is had your player made a conscious attempt to head the ball, then the goal would not have counted. Instead, the other team would be awarded an indirect free kick (and not a penalty kick even if it's the box).

Since I wasn’t there to see it, I cannot say for 100 percent what I would have called. From your description, I probably would have allowed the goal.

If the ref determined the header to be unintentional, then the call is correct.

The ironic thing is had your player made a conscious attempt to head the ball, then the goal would not have counted. Instead, the other team would be awarded an indirect free kick (and not a penalty kick even if it's the box).
Correct me if I’m wrong;
Sounds like an egregious foul happened where the defender was shoved in the back where the defender’s head was lurched toward the ball and in which the ball hit the her head. Easy call free kick defender team. How about if that happened the other way around? Offense player gets pushed into ball hits the head and scores? Is that allowable? How does a ref know it was intentional or not? Sounds like a guess

Correct me if I’m wrong;
Sounds like an egregious foul happened where the defender was shoved in the back where the defender’s head was lurched toward the ball and in which the ball hit the her head. Easy call free kick defender team. How about if that happened the other way around? Offense player gets pushed into ball hits the head and scores? Is that allowable? How does a ref know it was intentional or not? Sounds like a guess

That rule has always been a guess.

Change the rule to take the guessing out? A lot of CR just call dead-ball regardless. Does anyone have the actual rule and please paste here?

Referees and ARs have no problem with making confident calls on balls over the field boundaries, without regard to whether the player intended to touch the ball over the line. Just use thte same level of judgment on whether a ball has been touched by a player's head.

Referees and ARs have no problem with making confident calls on balls over the field boundaries, without regard to whether the player intended to touch the ball over the line. Just use thte same level of judgment on whether a ball has been touched by a player's head.

Or just get rid of the rule altogether.

Change the rule to take the guessing out? A lot of CR just call dead-ball regardless. Does anyone have the actual rule and please paste here?
Since the heading ban is not part of the LOTG it's up to each competition authority to promulgate their rule and so the rule will vary. See the following examples.

The AYSO National Rule is: "An indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposing team if a player in the above stated divisions, deliberately touches the ball with his/her head during a match."

The US Youth Soccer Association rule is: "All Players age 10 years of age and under shall not head the ball directly from the air in any match or competition, nor shall these players practice heading the ball in any organized team setting."

NOTE: The above rule is mandatory for all US Youth Soccer conducted events, including Regional and National competitions for the National Championship Series, and National Presidents Cup series. This rule is also mandatory for the US Youth Soccer National League, US Youth Soccer Regional Leagues, and the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program. Although not mandatory for US Youth Soccer State Associations, State Associations are strongly encouraged to adopt this Rule for state and local play.

An interesting variation from the Alexandria (VA) Soccer Association, a member of the VYSA, draws a distinction between deliberate and inadvertent:
U5-U11 Age Groups: No heading in practice or games
  • In games, whenever the ball strikes a player in the head, play is stopped.
    • The proper restart depends upon whether the player deliberately played the ball with his or her head. (Referee decision at U9-U11)
      • If deliberate, the proper restart is an indirect free kick to the opposing team.
      • If this occurs within the goal area, the indirect free kick should be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the infringement occurred.
      • If the play by the head is deemed inadvertent, then the proper restart is a dropped ball.

Since the heading ban is not part of the LOTG it's up to each competition authority to promulgate their rule and so the rule will vary. See the following examples.

The AYSO National Rule is: "An indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposing team if a player in the above stated divisions, deliberately touches the ball with his/her head during a match."

The US Youth Soccer Association rule is: "All Players age 10 years of age and under shall not head the ball directly from the air in any match or competition, nor shall these players practice heading the ball in any organized team setting."

NOTE: The above rule is mandatory for all US Youth Soccer conducted events, including Regional and National competitions for the National Championship Series, and National Presidents Cup series. This rule is also mandatory for the US Youth Soccer National League, US Youth Soccer Regional Leagues, and the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program. Although not mandatory for US Youth Soccer State Associations, State Associations are strongly encouraged to adopt this Rule for state and local play.

An interesting variation from the Alexandria (VA) Soccer Association, a member of the VYSA, draws a distinction between deliberate and inadvertent:
U5-U11 Age Groups: No heading in practice or games
  • In games, whenever the ball strikes a player in the head, play is stopped.
    • The proper restart depends upon whether the player deliberately played the ball with his or her head. (Referee decision at U9-U11)
      • If deliberate, the proper restart is an indirect free kick to the opposing team.
      • If this occurs within the goal area, the indirect free kick should be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the infringement occurred.
      • If the play by the head is deemed inadvertent, then the proper restart is a dropped ball.
CalSouth inadvertent is "playon" unless there is a potential head injury and then the restart is a drop ball if no other restart is dictated (i.e. throw in, etc).

Correct me if I’m wrong;
You've assumed quite a lot there in a short few sentences there.

Back