Is Club soccer the biggest SCAM in youth sports?

The Texans Houston just beat the the Galaxy in the U17/18 da final because there better at developing and team work despite the fact they have a fraction of resources or higher profile players compared to the Galaxy.

I'm far from an LAG homer, but just want to point out that in that final the U17/18 Galaxy roster had 10+ U16-U14s.

Reactions: JJP
I'm far from an LAG homer, but just want to point out that in that final the U17/18 Galaxy roster had 10+ U16-U14s.

Yeah they might have the best 15yr in the DA #40 LeBron. He plays for Mexico YNT though & likely not domesticly in the MLS either so that investment doesn't get returned with solidarity comps or goes elsewhere. That's the pattern for the da, best players have to leave eventually to keep developing.

Half dozen playing up is good but what happen to the regulars? Bringing down the 98' big Striker who's been playing for the Galaxy 2 says what?

Ya, if the players show up, and you actually have a game with a fair ref. Lot's of luck with that.

The hack a Shaq leagues, where player cards, foul calling are optional and offside is saved for other sunday football leagues. Fun to play jungle ball once in a while.

Ya, if the players show up, and you actually have a game with a fair ref. Lot's of luck with that.

You can complain all you want to or you can recognize every soccer opportunity in front of your player for what it is..... An opportunity.

Good luck to you and your player.

It's certainly buyer beware with Club soccer. My son has played for one of the clubs and currently plays on another club on your list. While the current club is not perfect, it is light years better than the previous club. In one club the DOC verbally assaulted a parent of a tier 1 player because the player wanted to tryout for another club. You would also receive the wrath if your child wanted to guest for another club, despite the fact that the club regularly brought in guest players. In contrast, in my kid's current club the relatively well known DOC has no problem coaching a U8 C team.

It's easy to blame the clubs but parents have to shoulder some of blame. Among other things, the whole scholarship mentality, particularly for kids that aren't even in high school yet, makes parents easy prey for the clubs. These clubs post all their senior college commitments (whether by athletic scholarship or not) on their website and the parents eat it up like educational crack.

Everyone has to make the value decision for themselves as to which club suits them the best. Plenty of organized sports where the cost is substantially more expensive, although on a per hour basis Club soccer maybe the most expensive particularly if you get the old school coach that still believes in laps, lines and lectures.
omg the bit on educational crack, made me laugh, so exact, parents are the bait here for the clubs.

Also being a fullt time coach and that being your career aint bad, jusy the intentions and unreal profit making is a bit worrisome...

That really depends. Over the past 3 years I've gotten deeply involved in Club Soccer with my son. We came from AYSO which was good for 1 season but than time to move on. He evolved quickly past what they had to offer.
The next step was Club. We checked out many clubs around LA and heard many,many,many stories from parents about all kinds of issues. The truth is that once you move to competitive sports the game changes to some degree. The player really needs to be able to develop and put time in outside of practice not because someone is telling him he has to, but because he wants to. He's drawn to developing his skills and IQ of the game. I saw it with my son and as a result got 110% behind his development.
We were very fortunate to have an excellent coach his first year in Club. Who taught him great skills and vastly improved his soccer IQ. That year his team won only 2 games all season but the respect I developed for that coach was immense. He not only taught my son great lessons he taught me great lessons as well. That coach is now a head academy coach at LAFC Acadmey and my son after only 2 years is playing on a Pre Academy level team.
I attribute that development to the coaching he received his first year in Club. It's set the standard not in wins and losses but in character and passion for the game and development.
That is what Club Soccer offers at its best.
An opportunity for our kids to develop not only as players but as people. It's our responsibility as parents to monitor and be involved in the process. To find the right Club the right coach and the best style of play for our kids.
The money. I've run budgets for teams and quickly understood what things cost. Our current team practices 3 times a week. Takes 2 weeks off a year and plays Tournaments and league games as well as Friendly matches all year round. The fields in LA are not cheap to rent especially for the amount of hours we need them. The coach gives over 400 hours a year to the team not including what he does behind the scenes. That's a tremendous amount of time. And the tournaments all cost as well.
But, in the end the experience has been great. We have met people from all over the area and have had opportunities to travel and play in other locations that have been really fun for my son and me as well.
Will he go on and play pro? Who knows. But what I say to him is someone gets to do it so there's no reason it can't be you if you put in the work. My cousins daughter just got a scholarship to play soccer at a school in VA. Would have never had happened probably without Club soccer.
So in the end I am a fan of Club Soccer. It's not perfect. Not all coaches are good coaches. Not all clubs are good clubs. But it sure beats the hell out of sitting on the couch playing Grand Theft Auto by themselves all day.

It's a simple answer. It's not a scam. Compare the cost to Hockey, Golf, Volleyball, and plenty of other sports.
http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/2016/09/21/youth-sports-cost/90313836/

Those who say is a "Scam" are those who thought their kids were going to be the best and going pro or getting a full ride.

Personally I dont like paying $2,000 a year per child but I truly enjoy the experience of watching them practice, watching them play, make friends, and watching them stay fit.

My kids are bench players but they push themselves just to become starters. I push them to to try harder because that's life. You need to try hard to get that promotion or get that job.

Those who say is a Scam on this blog, I question why they are spending time writing about it and staying on this site.

Back