Intent to confuse

botz99

BRONZE
This weekend at a girls U13 league game, our goalkeeper was awarded a yellow card for yelling "I got it," in the box to call her teammate off the ball. The referee explained after the game that she was "intentionally trying to confuse the other team when she called the ball." I have never in all my years of playing and watching soccer heard of this rule being applied like this. After carding her, he then gave her a drop ball. I would think if it was a foul, there would be a free kick for the other team involved.

Did I miss a memo? Is this something referees are taught these days? Has anyone else ever experienced a call like this? If this is truly the interpretation of the law, it seems that it could have been a teachable moment and not a punishable one.

That would fall under unsporting conduct, however, if she was actually going for the ball I do not see the issue. If she said that and did not make a play on the ball I would understand.

Yes, she collected the ball after calling it. The closest player to the ball at that point was her own defender who was getting ready to clear it. There was obviously no attempt to confuse anyone, just to let her teammate know she had it.

botz99..... I have heard of this but not seen it called....... drop ball seems correct (if he thought she was not playing the ball, but she was lol) but I have not checked the laws........

on a connected theme and not aimed at the OP...... there is no doubt coaches and people in general need to be kinder to referees.....I know many make some bad calls but they are run to empty at a time like this and we need more referees willing to train and sign up which nobody wants to do if they are being abused....... my dd know she has to be respectful to them but some kids are not getting that memo and they learn this poor behavior from coaches and us parents.......

Thanks for sharing this. My daughter’s a keeper, so if there’s any clarification on this, I’d appreciate hearing about it so she can avoid making this mistake.

My DD has been a full time keeper for 6 years and played HS soccer the last two years. So many games that I have lost track with all of the tournaments, league games, arena & futsal. Not one time has that been called against her. It sounds like you got the one referee that sees calling for the ball as a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The one red card she received was during a tournament where she was called for "denial of a goal scoring opportunity." Her statements was, "I have one job!"

My son is a defender. In a high school game he got a yellow card for yelling "Get in the box Bob!" to his teammate Bob prior to a corner kick. Bob (NHRN) even told the ref that is what my son yelled. Didn't matter.

Simple fix, have her yell, “KEEPER!”
This is correct. This is why goalkeepers are taught to yell keeper or keeper’s instead of mine or I got it. It’s considered unsportsman like conduct in an attempt to confuse the game. It’s very old school dating back to the early part of the last century. The ref must have been a stickler for old school traditions and it isn’t called very much these days because almost all keepers are taught to yell keepers instead of mine or I got it. Just a kid and they forget and it is old school but if the gk hasn’t been taught this you’d have to question why not. It’s something they learn when they are just starting to train as gkers u9 u10 u11

This is correct. This is why goalkeepers are taught to yell keeper or keeper’s instead of mine or I got it. It’s considered unsportsman like conduct in an attempt to confuse the game. It’s very old school dating back to the early part of the last century. The ref must have been a stickler for old school traditions and it isn’t called very much these days because almost all keepers are taught to yell keepers instead of mine or I got it. Just a kid and they forget and it is old school but if the gk hasn’t been taught this you’d have to question why not. It’s something they learn when they are just starting to train as gkers u9 u10 u11

I heard this myth the first time over 20 years ago, and I have been laughing at it ever since.

It's only intentional confusion if the player shouting it is not actually trying to get it.

I heard this myth the first time over 20 years ago, and I have been laughing at it ever since.

It's only intentional confusion if the player shouting it is not actually trying to get it.

No.this is one of those things where the unwritten tradition of the game supersedes the plain meaning of the rules (and you all know how much I hate that)

Technically under the tradition it’s irrelevant whether they are going for the ball or not. In England or Spain you’ll be booked for calling it “mine” or “I got it”. Field players are given a little more leeway too if they are on offense. The gk is on defense and has their own call so it wouldn’t surprise me if a stickler ref enforced it this way particularly since the gk at that age should know better.

I always think it’s weird stuff like this is viewed by some as tradition or important but players shoving early in a game is play on and don’t interrupt the flow of the game

No.this is one of those things where the unwritten tradition of the game supersedes the plain meaning of the rules (and you all know how much I hate that)

Technically under the tradition it’s irrelevant whether they are going for the ball or not. In England or Spain you’ll be booked for calling it “mine” or “I got it”. Field players are given a little more leeway too if they are on offense. The gk is on defense and has their own call so it wouldn’t surprise me if a stickler ref enforced it this way particularly since the gk at that age should know better.

I always think it’s weird stuff like this is viewed by some as tradition or important but players shoving early in a game is play on and don’t interrupt the flow of the game

Unwritten? Did the referee in question unwrite the violation on his game report?

Now I know why my kid was taught to yell "keep." Still a dumb rule.

I played in England and you got a yellow if you didn't "put a name on it". "Keeper" was fine, otherwise you had to scream your name. It was stringently enforced and very rare for anyone not to "put a name on it".

I think its a great rule TBH.

I played in England and you got a yellow if you didn't "put a name on it". "Keeper" was fine, otherwise you had to scream your name. It was stringently enforced and very rare for anyone not to "put a name on it".

You are 100% correct. However, there is no reason to give a keeper yellow for that. Telling him/her about it would be sufficient.

I get it. If you shout your name, it's not confusing.

Now I know why my kid was taught to yell "keep." Still a dumb rule.

Ah remember our beautiful game was developed in the English public schools, codified in the hallowed halls of Eaton, among gentlemen who knew better than to yell and claim balls, unlike we silly Americans and our cowboy football ways.

If the ref determined that the call by the defense distracted an opponent (for which the defense has been held to a higher standard), the issuance of a yellow card is mandatory. Otherwise it's whether if in the opinion of the referee there was unsporting conduct. And IIRC the restart should have been an IDK

Back