Impeding? Ever seen it called in a youth 9v9 game?

Can some refs on the forum give me their thoughts on impeding. I saw it called for the first time ever in my daughters 9v9 game. An indirect free kick was awarded around 10 yards away from the goal. No goal was scored on the kick but I have never seen this rule used in a youngers game. I can’t even describe what caused the foul to be called as it looked as if one player shielded another in order to gain position to play the ball. Thoughts?

Can some refs on the forum give me their thoughts on impeding. I saw it called for the first time ever in my daughters 9v9 game. An indirect free kick was awarded around 10 yards away from the goal. No goal was scored on the kick but I have never seen this rule used in a youngers game. I can’t even describe what caused the foul to be called as it looked as if one player shielded another in order to gain position to play the ball. Thoughts?

I called one last weekend in a B12 game (9v9) last weekend. Blue attacker gets ball passed into the penalty area. Defender 1 shields/impedes attacker with ball at least 10 yards away, while defender 2 comes in and gets the ball. My thought process: Defender 1 was not within playing distance of ball and in my opinion the attacker would have got to the ball before defender 2 reached the ball and contact between attacker and defender 1 did not meet my criteria for holding foul and PK.

I have rarely seen an indirect free kick within 15 yards of the goal converted into a goal at those younger ages. Just be thankful the referee did not award a PK. Just curious, was the referee a teen, 20’s or an older experienced referee? My guess would be older experienced Ref. I have seen teen and younger refs call impeding as a PK.

I had one a few years back. Long ball played forward against a defense that was pulled up to the halfway line. The ball was heading through to the penalty area when the defender ran in front of the forward with both arms out. Wasn't in playing distance, and kept moving in front of the attacker's path to the ball. Gave the IFK, and the coach couldn't understand it at all.

As an aside, now, if there is contact made at all, the restart is a DFK. Perhaps that's why Surfref has seen penalties given for impeding (with contact) in the penalty area. Very seldom do you have impeding without contact. I would bet the situation Soccer Bum 06 mentioned involved contact. So yes, you were most likely luck to avoid a penalty. Obviously more experienced referees do not call this very often.

Back