Impeach Trump

"High crimes and misdemeanors" goes back to English common law and included many transgressions, some were crimes, some were not.
The common thread in all these transgressions was that the official had somehow abused the power of his office and was unfit to serve.

Exactly, which are completely at the discretion of the Congress to define.

Here's a historical quiz for you - what high crime or misdemeanor was Andrew Johnson alleged to have committed?
I believe he fired the Secretary of War....going against the demands of Congress...

I believe he fired the Secretary of War....going against the demands of Congress...

Congress passed a law over his veto (Tenure of Office Act, which required Senate approval to remove Cabinet members and other high government officials) that they knew he would violate.

Congress passed a law over his veto (Tenure of Office Act, which required Senate approval to remove Cabinet members and other high government officials) that they knew he would violate.
Johnson knew/felt it was unconstitutional & he was right.
The SCOTUS found in a ruling on a similar case "that the Tenure of Office Act of 1867, insofar as it attempted to prevent the President from removing executive officers who had been appointed by him by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, was invalid".

The SCOTUS found in a ruling on a similar case "that the Tenure of Office Act of 1867, insofar as it attempted to prevent the President from removing executive officers who had been appointed by him by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, was invalid".

Whether he was right or not, Johnson narrowly escaped impeachment.

The SCOTUS opinion you quoted was given in a decision about a different law, and not until 1926, 40 years after Congress had already repealed the Tenure of Office Act.

Here is your missing reference, so everyone can see how you play fast and loose with quotes --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenure_of_Office_Act_(1867)

I think he will resign, or he will get Dr Doublepark to certify that he has had a stroke, thus triggering a 25th Amendment process.

I don't look forward to Pence as President, but I see it as inevitable.
Why would he resign, looks like he is having fun, in his element and successful at it to boot.

The SCOTUS opinion you quoted was given in a decision about a different law, and not until 1926, 40 years after Congress had already repealed the Tenure of Office Act.

Here is your missing reference, so everyone can see how you play fast and loose with quotes --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenure_of_Office_Act_(1867)
Typical of you Magoo...
That's why it says "SCOTUS found in a ruling on a similar case"...then "that the Tenure of Office Act of 1867, insofar as it attempted to prevent the President from removing executive officers who had been appointed by him by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, was invalid".
Of course anyone who feels compelled to, can copy and paste the quoted sentence, place it in google and find the source...Now that is fast, loose & sneaky...
Thanks espola, obviously you know how to cite a source...
Speaking of "fast and loose"....where's the source regarding Lee and the orders to shoot Union Officers on sight?

Back