Impact Goalkeeper Academy Winter GK Camp Dec. 21-22

GKKING

BRONZE
IGA will be having it's annual Winter Goalkeeper Camp Dec. 21-22 in Torrance, CA 10 am - 4 pm
Offering Youth Elite GK Camp for 2010-2007 Keepers & GK ID Camp for 2006-2002 and Junior College transfers.
many local NCAA College Soccer programs and several out of state soccer programs will be in attendance.

www.gk4life.net

IMG_9224.JPG

Where is the camp held on the 22nd? The registration says torrance but isn't anymore specific than that. Is there a list of colleges that will be in attendance for the girls ID camp?

The camp will be held at EL Camino College in Torrance, CA

Attachments

• 2019 id camp 4.jpg
    2019 id camp 4.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
The following programs will be at the IGA GK College ID Camp.
Men's Soccer Programs attending:

1. Cal State Fullerton (So. Cal)
  2. Warren Wilson College (North Carolina)
  3. University of La Verne (So. Cal)
  4. Whitworth University (Washington)
  5. Pacific Lutheran University (Washington)
  6. Marymount of California (So Cal)
  7. Cal State L.A. (So Cal)
  8. Hope International University (So Cal)
2019 id camp 4.jpg
Women's Soccer Programs attending:

1. Cal State Dominguez Hills (So Cal)
  2. University of Nebraska Kearney (Nebraska)
  3. Cal State San Bernardino (So Cal)
  4. Warren Wilson College (North Carolina)
  5. University of La Verne (So cal)
  6. Hope International University (So Cal)

Attachments

• 2019 id camp 4.jpg
    2019 id camp 4.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0
For now these are the on;y committed Women's programs, trying to get the schools to come out is like pulling teeth. Especially the top schools.

Thanks. Either way she is excited to attend, get coached from a different perspective and meet other crazy keepers.

Thanks for a great camp! My dd got into the car and said it was the best camp she has ever attended. Great coaching from both the staff coaches and the college coaches. The best part was meeting other crazy girls. In addition we found a new podcast to listen to on the way home. Recommend inside the 18 - we listened to the sports psychology guy and got a lot out of it.

I highly recommend it and we for sure will be back.

Mine was in the youngers. This is always a great camp. A lot of really great touches on the ball, and a lot of reps. Big Joe always does a fantastic job with this one.

Phil Wheddon is an impressive coach. Knowledgeable with a commanding presence. Glad my daughter was able train with him.

With the youngers, I loved Wheddon's second shot drill. It gave great practice on reaction saves and getting up which isn't always trained at club GK practices since many of them (IMHO) tend to just work on the basics.

My only complaint against his coaching method was on 1 v 1s--that rather than the diving technique, or the k-technique (which he uses both) he also teaches the hold technique against a striker that's dribbling (instead of going hard at them against their feet). The problem with this technique is that strikers and mids tend to be much better ball handlers than do goalkeepers, and will likely easily juke out a GK coming out slowly against them. You don't see this technique much anymore in the pros and college ball anymore for that reason. It works at half speed against a goalkeeper who doesn't know how to dribble. Not so much against a mid or striker at full speed with good dribbling skills and a variety of moves.

I think all three should be taught to a keeper. Give them all the tools, then let them make the split second decision that is required and go with what they think is correct based on positioning of their defenders, angle of the play, speed of the incoming player, and depending on long or short touches by the attacker. I'm never sure what my kid is going to do, but I trust her instincts and she usually has a reason for what happens, even when it doesn't go her way. I also recently read about tailoring training to the specific skill set that your keeper has. With every kid being a different size and ship with different reflexes, finding what works best for your keeper is so important.

I think all three should be taught to a keeper. Give them all the tools, then let them make the split second decision that is required and go with what they think is correct based on positioning of their defenders, angle of the play, speed of the incoming player, and depending on long or short touches by the attacker. I'm never sure what my kid is going to do, but I trust her instincts and she usually has a reason for what happens, even when it doesn't go her way. I also recently read about tailoring training to the specific skill set that your keeper has. With every kid being a different size and ship with different reflexes, finding what works best for your keeper is so important.

I agree keepers should be taught a variety of techniques, but where the issue is I think is when to do them, particularly since there seems to be a big split of opinion among professionals, keeper coaches, and even us here. Maybe its because mine is young still, and will grow out of it (though there seems to be a lot of confusion among the pros too)?

My problem with the hold technique, though is that it doesn't work (and why teach something that doesn't work). Even if the keeper has a field player background/street soccer background and can keep up with the best ball dribbler, the solution is really is simple....the keeper is either holding still or moving out slowly so just chip em. Happened in the Manchester v. Newcastle game on Boxing Day.

Back