ICC (International Champions Cup)

Pretty cool that this is happening at the U15 age group on the girls side!

On the girls side at U15 Athletico Madrid will be the physical team coming out of Spain. They will attempt to move the ball around like most Spanish teams but have no problem getting getting dirty if need be and using their size. PSG will be one of the favorites to make the final. They play fantastic soccer that is intelligent, quick of pace, and skill based. They will defend will tenacity and grit, after winning the ball back will transition back to a beautiful game. PSG is a smaller team and their competitors who can not compete with them stylistically will resort to athleticism and physical play.

Very cool event.
Any thoughts on the short game format? 25 minute halves.
And a long way to travel the week before finals. I guess there’s time to study on the plane.

Very cool event.
And a long way to travel the week before finals. I guess there’s time to study on the plane.
It would be nice if the halves were longer. But, I believe this is the format used in Europe.

Congrats to the group winners and good luck at the semi's and final this weekend.
Group A - ICC West all-stars
Group B- LAFC Slammers
Group C - FC Barcelona
Wildcard - Player Development Academy (Group B)

Very cool event.
I like the format and the teams playing. 25 minute half is lame. If one must fly across the country, this would be a good reason to do it :) 10 hours or so on the plane one can also get their school work done. Watch out for that Spain team. I hear they play dirty and physical.

I know a few girls on the LAFC team. Heard a few girls haven’t gotten much (if any) playing time over the 1st 3 games. 25 minute halves can be tough to manage your bench.

I like the format and the teams playing. 25 minute half is lame. If one must fly across the country, this would be a good reason to do it :) 10 hours or so on the plane one can also get their school work done. Watch out for that Spain team. I hear they play dirty and physical.
We played Atletico Madrid last June at their tourney. They can be physical.

I know a few girls on the LAFC team. Heard a few girls haven’t gotten much (if any) playing time over the 1st 3 games. 25 minute halves can be tough to manage your bench.
That sucks for traveling across the country at that age. If I were a coach I would only take 16 and make sure every kid gets some great good playing time. Did they use international rules or ecnl?

I think it was free subs.
Was fun to watch them play. Bummer to give up a goal with 10 seconds left. Girl hit a great shot.
Slammers controlled the first half. Had about 10 corner kicks and kept aiming for the far post. Can definitely see why that team has so much success. Great skill and fight in those girls.
Barca in the 1st half tried to play into the wings but it seems they realized they weren’t likely to out run Slammers on the outside. Slammers put on a heavy press whenever they lost the ball and Barca had some trouble finding/connecting the easy pass. Might have been the short halves making them play with more urgency to get forward.
The 2nd half Barca kept the ball more central in the attacking third. They kept the ball a bit better with short, narrow passes. Had some good chances. Slammers keeper made a few great saves.

It wasn’t even close. If this is the future, the US women dominance on the world stage is over.
ive not seen PDA play before today. I know they are a dominant club here. Was today evident of their usual style of play?
I was most shocked by the boot forward on the kickoff. And with the goal keeper playing everything long. Barca also switched keepers at halftime in both games that I saw)
Barcelona looked liked a different team today than they did against LAFC. Patient. Connecting everything. 10+ pass sequences many, many times. Playing 2 touch all over the field. Getting back in transition.

Last edited:
It wasn’t even close. If this is the future, the US women dominance on the world stage is over.
ive not seen PDA play before today. I know they are a dominant club here. Was today evident of their usual style of play?
I was most shocked by the boot forward on the kickoff. And with the goal keeper playing everything long. Barca also switched keepers at halftime in both games that I saw)
Barcelona looked liked a different team today than they did against LAFC. Patient. Connecting everything. 10+ pass sequences many, many times. Playing 2 touch all over the field. Getting back in transition.
My dd favorite way to play. No GK kicks at all and play from the back. Two touch pass and have most of the team touch the ball and then score. It can't happen on top youth teams in USA unless you have all star team like Stanford and a youth coach who yells and demands it 24/7. Too many players want to go 1 v1 and show off to scouts how good they are and how many hat tricks they can get in one season. I'm not bitter anymore, I just wish everyone played Baca style. Keep in mind coach Buck that these Spain girls are training to go pro and that's it. 99% of our girls are trying to make YNT List so they can get a full ride to top D1 college. Why pass the rock?

Let's not draw conclusions on the future of international women's soccer based on one abbreviated game between 14 year olds. And club teams at that.

And even if we were, why use the PDA game as a reference and not the LAFC game?

Patient. Connecting everything. 10+ pass sequences many, many times. Playing 2 touch all over the field. Getting back in transition.
I was astounded at the patience and confidence of 14 year old girls. Even in the second half when PDA did the push and took the ball away a few times, Barcelona did not change and maintained their style never once just blasting forward. Impressive.

Let's not draw conclusions on the future of international women's soccer based on one abbreviated game between 14 year olds. And club teams at that.

And even if we were, why use the PDA game as a reference and not the LAFC game?
Good point.
Either LAFC totally disrupted Barca’s game plan or Barca had a different game plan in those 2 games.
LAFC had a ton of corner kicks in the 1st half. Each one sent to the far post. I bet they have scored a LOT of goals that way.
LAFC did a better job of pressing Barca and then making a nice pass to try and break forward.
I haven’t watched much youth international girls soccer. Anyone know how Barca does against other teams across Europe? Are they the “norm” or are they the outlier?

Good point.
Either LAFC totally disrupted Barca’s game plan or Barca had a different game plan in those 2 games.
LAFC had a ton of corner kicks in the 1st half. Each one sent to the far post. I bet they have scored a LOT of goals that way.
LAFC did a better job of pressing Barca and then making a nice pass to try and break forward.
I haven’t watched much youth international girls soccer. Anyone know how Barca does against other teams across Europe? Are they the “norm” or are they the outlier?
Our girls played Lyon last June. Barcelona per that game was on par with them.

Back