I think it should be mandatory that all coaches & DOC get drug tested twice a year.

Actually I have had some PM in support about this, I'm guessing most don't want to get involved because they don't want to get on the wrong side of their clubs and coaches?
I am going to respectfully disagree with you. My daughter has played (either as a member of the team or as a guest player) for no less than 15 different coaches since she has been in competitive soccer; not one has exhibited ANY signs of drug use/abuse. She has had yellers, and coaches that over coach, but not one out of the 15 showed any signs of drug use/abuse. I respect that you are passionate on this topic, but I just don't see it as the issue that needs to be addressed with additional rules/regulations.

I didn't want to get involved in the topic as many others have already articulated how I feel. I am not worried about her coach, club or the DOC finding out my thoughts on this. I just disagree with your view.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. My daughter has played (either as a member of the team or as a guest player) for no less than 15 different coaches since she has been in competitive soccer; not one has exhibited ANY signs of drug use/abuse. She has had yellers, and coaches that over coach, but not one out of the 15 showed any signs of drug use/abuse. I respect that you are passionate on this topic, but I just don't see it as the issue that needs to be addressed with additional rules/regulations.

I didn't want to get involved in the topic as many others have already articulated how I feel. I am not worried about her coach, club or the DOC finding out my thoughts on this. I just disagree with your view.

And that is exactly why there are talk forums for youth sports.
I'm going to say throughout the US there are plenty of good and bad soccer coaches that are clean and sober and others that are not.
It's simply a fact for both sides of this discussion.

Which drugs? I remember hiring into a new company. All the new hires were in a meeting when they passed around a list of drugs they tested for. It was all I could do to keep from asking "Does this mean I can do all the LSD and Mushrooms I want since they are not on the list?" Not all drugs can be tested for. Two of the most dangerous are legal. Many drug tests give false positives. If you are really concerned about drug use, you should never eat out.

Drug testing program oversight is one of my responsibilities at my job with the Navy. The Navy currently randomly tests all Sailors at least once a year for 16 drugs and pulse tests for another 10. Pulse testing is the lab randomly tests about 75 percent of samples for 1-10 of those other drugs. They also have the ability to test for another 84 substances if requested. The military is the gold standard when it comes to drug testing and the testing process and lab results have held up in 1000's of court marshals. LSD can only be detected for about 18-24 hours after use, but shrooms can come up positive for 2-4 days. I have to know how long all these drugs stay detectable in the body and the effects on the body during and after the use. The science of drugs is really interesting.

This website has some good drug information. Pick a drug and read some of the experience reports. https://www.erowid.org/new.php

Can you show a correlation between drug/alcohol use and coaching youth that would necessitate a drug test?

If I chose to be in the business of teaching, training or mentoring children I 100% think that drug testing me is reasonable.

No surprise, he didn’t answer the question … again.

Hey Sandshark, here is an idea. Why don’t you lead the charge, set the example, show how proactive you are. Forget about US Soccer, Cal South, or San Diego County. Start with your child’s team. Go to your child’s coach and DOC and offer to pay for his/her twice yearly drug test. And don’t take “No” for an answer.

I believe that any parent that is as concerned about this obvious flaw in the system as you are would jump at the opportunity to protect their child and show how proactive they are when it comes to their child's safety.
I understand that “some” Drug Testing companies only charge $40.00 for the collection, lab fees, and results.

This is 100% about your child and just taking a very simple step to insure your child’s safety. I don't see how any parent as passionate as you are about this would be against paying for having their child's coach tested for drug use! Is this really even a thought? WTH?

In fact you said “If I have a choice of knowing if a person in my child's life does or doesn't smoke pot, pop pills, snort drugs or shoot up WELL I'm going with -> I would like that important info if possible.” Well, it’s possible and you have a choice, just step up and set the example for all of us.

No surprise, he didn’t answer the question … again.

Hey Sandshark, here is an idea. Why don’t you lead the charge, set the example, show how proactive you are. Forget about US Soccer, Cal South, or San Diego County. Start with your child’s team. Go to your child’s coach and DOC and offer to pay for his/her twice yearly drug test. And don’t take “No” for an answer.

I believe that any parent that is as concerned about this obvious flaw in the system as you are would jump at the opportunity to protect their child and show how proactive they are when it comes to their child's safety.
I understand that “some” Drug Testing companies only charge $40.00 for the collection, lab fees, and results.

This is 100% about your child and just taking a very simple step to insure your child’s safety. I don't see how any parent as passionate as you are about this would be against paying for having their child's coach tested for drug use! Is this really even a thought? WTH?

In fact you said “If I have a choice of knowing if a person in my child's life does or doesn't smoke pot, pop pills, snort drugs or shoot up WELL I'm going with -> I would like that important info if possible.” Well, it’s possible and you have a choice, just step up and set the example for all of us.

You sound like another soccer coach that is a bit worried.

You sound like another soccer coach that is a bit worried.
Not a coach at all. But I did have to get an F license a few years back when I was a manager. But your welcome to pay for my drug test also if you are concerned. I have no problem with that. You can even hold the cup if you would like ... I have pretty good aim.

Not a coach at all. But I did have to get an F license a few years back when I was a manager. But your welcome to pay for my drug test also if you are concern. I have no problem with that. You can even hold the cup if you would like ... I have pretty good aim.

You sound a little angry. You should have had to take a drug test when they gave you your F liscene

You sound a little angry. You should have had to take a drug test when they gave you your F liscene
Nah, not angry, amused. I think I was required to get an F license just in case the coach went out on a bender the night before and couldn't drag himself to the Saturday morning 8am game ... oh wait, that never happened ... for any of the 12 coaches my kids have played for in their competitive soccer careers.

You sound like someone one who is all talk and no action. Won't put your money where your mouth is. Come on, set the example for all of us. Start the movement.

I'm really looking forward to you holding that cup!

Nah, not angry, amused. I think I was required to get an F license just in case the coach went out on a bender the night before and couldn't drag himself to the Saturday morning 8am game ... oh wait, that never happened ... for any of the 12 coaches my kids have played for in their competitive soccer careers.

You sound like someone one who is all talk and no action. Won't put your money where your mouth is. Come on, set the example for all of us. Start the movement.

Breath..just breath - It's ok..it is o k.

Don't be so quick to judge. It is more common than you realize that coaches are late or no shows do to alcohol/drug use. Once my son's coach was a no show due to a bar fight the night before. He showed up for the second game with his jaw wired shut! Hard to coach when you can't open your mouth!

Breath..just breath - It's ok..it is o k.

Don't worry, I'm breathing ... and laughing.

So, as long as I have you responding to me, can you show a correlation between drug/alcohol use and coaching youth that would necessitate a drug test?

I think it was a fair question that BeepBeep Boop asked, and you probably inadvertently failed to answer. Some real data ... not just “I 100% think that drug testing me is reasonable”... but real data.

Don't be so quick to judge. It is more common than you realize that coaches are late or no shows do to alcohol/drug use. Once my son's coach was a no show due to a bar fight the night before. He showed up for the second game with his jaw wired shut! Hard to coach when you can't open your mouth!
Actually, its often much better, especially for the joystick coaches.

Don't worry, I'm breathing ... and laughing.

So, as long as I have you responding to me, can you show a correlation between drug/alcohol use and coaching youth that would necessitate a drug test?

I think it was a fair question that BeepBeep Boop asked, and you probably inadvertently failed to answer. Some real data ... not just “I 100% think that drug testing me is reasonable”... but real data.
I believe that abusers are more susceptible to mood swings and verbal abuse. I don't have any hard evidence to back this up but I bet it is easy to
prove.
[UOTE="chargerfan, post: 92682, member: 346"]Random drug testing without any sort of reasonable suspicion that a coach has been abusing drugs is a clear violation of privacy. There is no club willing to open themselves up to that lawsuit.

If you think your coach is drunk or high during a practice or game, pull your kid out of the situation and notify the doc. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]
Since most clubs use city fields, I bet they can come up with a justification to drug test. Afterall, high school athletes are drug tested.

Umm ... it sounds like he missed the first game due to a broken jaw from a fight that happened in a bar the night before. You never said that he was drunk or hungover when he showed up at the second game. Was he? Frankly, I would have been surprised if a coach showed up at all the day after having his jaw wired shut.

Umm ... it sounds like he missed the first game due to a broken jaw from a fight that happened in a bar the night before. You never said that he was drunk or hungover when he showed up at the second game. Was he? Frankly, I would have been surprised if a coach showed up at all the day after having his jaw wired shut.
Drunk and popped off to a military person ( I don't remember which branch). The second game was in the afternoon and he was obviously high on Vicodin.

Between my kids, we have had various coaches at various clubs. I have never seen more than a coach sharing a pitcher of beer with parents at a team pizza dinner. I have heard only about two coaches with substance abuse issues in all these years of youth soccer and both are from the same club. Maybe the lesson here is to avoid that club if they make such bad hiring decisions.

Drunk and popped off to a military person ( I don't remember which branch). The second game was in the afternoon and he was obviously high on Vicodin.
#24 Why is my post dumb? I am not stating an opinion. They are the facts I am stating in response to the question. Are you the coach with the broken jaw?

Back