I think it should be mandatory that all coaches & DOC get drug tested twice a year.

I'm sorry that should say "some" Drug Testing Companies only charge $40.00 for the collection, lab fee's and results. The clubs can step up and pay this fee or they can pass it on the the coach as a fee.
I don't see how any parent would be against having their child's coach tested for drug use! Is this really even a thought.. WTH?

When my player was a minor if I had ever suspected that the coach was high then I would remove my player from the situation. I don't need a law or some rule to tell me how to parent. You don't have to create a law that instructs me to put my 8 year old to bed by 8:30 or that he shouldn't just eat candy.

We are not Russia. Instead of instituting unnecessary rules lets try using the one we have. Personally I wish more people would use their turn signals. Lets legislate that. Oh shoot we already have rules that say we should do that!

Why is it I had to pass a drug test to get my job with the government and get a paycheck but many out there who get a check for free from the government don't have to pass a drug test?!:cool:

Why is it that NCAA student athletes get drug tested regularly and they aren't paid but congress doesn't and they are paid and what they do is way more consequential?

Which drugs? I remember hiring into a new company. All the new hires were in a meeting when they passed around a list of drugs they tested for. It was all I could do to keep from asking "Does this mean I can do all the LSD and Mushrooms I want since they are not on the list?" Not all drugs can be tested for. Two of the most dangerous are legal. Many drug tests give false positives. If you are really concerned about drug use, you should never eat out.

Alcohol and legal prescription drugs are the most abused. Drug testing won't catch either. So what is the real point? Let's start genetic testing too. Anybody with any sort of predispositions shouldn't be allowed to coach!

Why is it I had to pass a drug test to get my job with the government and get a paycheck but many out there who get a check for free from the government don't have to pass a drug test?!:cool:

A little something called right to privacy but let's stick to soccer.

It is literally flooring me that anyone on here could possibly worry about the cost to the clubs or how this could inconvenience the coaches & clubs administrators ha ha WTH are you thinking? Who cares what kind of small issues this might cause anyone when we are talking about children! Are you -F-ING NUTS!?
This is an issue that needs to be addressed and I myself could care less about your clubs extra work load this might cause when talking about making the safest envoirment possible for the children.
I would like to know what SD clubs are against this idea?

It is literally flooring me that anyone on here could possibly worry about the cost to the clubs or how this could inconvenience the coaches & clubs administrators ha ha WTH are you thinking? Who cares what kind of small issues this might cause anyone when we are talking about children! Are you -F-ING NUTS!?
This is an issue that needs to be addressed and I myself could care less about your clubs extra work load this might cause when talking about making the safest envoirment possible for the children.
I think everyone is wondering the same thing and has generally asked the same question here ... where has this proven to be an issue, as you are indicating? It's surely not rampant, so maybe just addressing the specific instance you are seeing might be the resolution.

"Think of the children" isn't really a great argument for doing anything. Children would be much safer if we, for example, prohibited them from riding in cars, provided licensing screenings before anyone could become a parent, and forced them to wear bubble wrap armor every day. But we don't, because we apply cost/benefit analysis to everything. Many people have asked exactly what instance of a problem are you trying to fix but we are still waiting for an answer.

Ugh
I am not going to out the coach but there is a wellllllll documented case of substance abuse and parents ignoring signs and then an eventual free fall.
There is well documented example of a severe case of etoh abuse on an elite team resulting in DOC intervention
It's life- we all have flaws. But PLEASE all of you spare me with the "oh my I have never heard of such a thing" act. If you play for an elite club you do.
If you don't know about it good for all of you.

I'm not going to call out specific coaches or clubs on this because I think this is about a bigger picture.
I'm a pretty open minded person put not when it comes to the adults around my children especially in a mentor / coach type roll.

Ugh
I am not going to out the coach but there is a wellllllll documented case of substance abuse and parents ignoring signs and then an eventual free fall.
There is well documented example of a severe case of etoh abuse on an elite team resulting in DOC intervention
It's life- we all have flaws. But PLEASE all of you spare me with the "oh my I have never heard of such a thing" act. If you play for an elite club you do.
I don't think anyone is saying that it doesn't occur; what they are saying is that it's not so rampant that this idea is a necessity. There are far more effective ways of implementing change for these instances as they occur, i.e. longer suspensions (including termination and loss of privilege), club sanction to get clubs to pay attention, etc. However, a mass hysteria response is far from responsible or reasonable in this case. Sandshark seems to have a very specific instance in mind that could possibly have affected someone close to him/her, however, rather than post here with ideas that have generally been received poorly and with little backing, they should direct their efforts toward addressing that specific instance.

I'm not going to call out specific coaches or clubs on this because I think this is about a bigger picture.
I'm a pretty open minded person put not when it comes to the adults around my children especially in a mentor / coach type roll.
If you can't provide anything of substance to support your claims of this being such a significant issue, how do you expect this would be received at the appropriate level of discussion (CalSouth)? Do you not expect that they will want to see evidence to the claims you are making?

Ugh

Without naming a club or coach, can you describe an incident involving the coach's use of illegal drugs (not abuse of alcohol) that endangered players? That's all we are asking for.

Out of curiosity, are your kids home-schooled and do they wear the concussion head bands?

We don't need laws or rules for everything in our lives. We have enough already.

If you are concerned about your coach...talk to the club or leave.

Why do we always want someone else (the gov, some organization) to solve our problems? We don't like taking responsibility?

If you are unhappy move on.

Without naming a club or coach, can you describe an incident involving the coach's use of illegal drugs (not abuse of alcohol) that endangered players? That's all we are asking for.

Out of curiosity, are your kids home-schooled and do they wear the concussion head bands?

Parents who enable bad behavior- amazing!
God forbid a person raise a point.
You all really must live under a rock or your kids play for low level clubs

We don't need laws or rules for everything in our lives. We have enough already.

If you are concerned about your coach...talk to the club or leave.

Why do we always want someone else (the gov, some organization) to solve our problems? We don't like taking responsibility?

If you are unhappy move on.

Agree with you no more legislation and rules that they skirt or do not enforce

You are right. I do enable bad behavior. Not sure what it is, but I enable it. I'm still trying to figure it out. Help please?

Yes, my kids are on low level clubs. I guess coaches only endanger kids through drug use on "high" level clubs.

Are you talking about Coach Steve? All he did was run from the Sheriff and drive the wrong way on I-5 (allegedly). He's now coaching again (actually).

those in support of this seem think that drug testing will bring about some type of sure benefit. Like MAP said - some of the items I would be concerned about won't show up on a drug test. Then you get a clean drug test and everyone can breath a sigh of relieve that their addict coach isn't taking any drugs. I would be more interested in psych testing and mandated training on coaching children so coaches don't play mind fu**k games with their players. I don't need a drug test to figure out if my DD's coach is a drug addict

Back