HS Soccer. In or out.

If your kid is not in DA/ECNL, there's no point to continue to play club soccer by the time they reach sophomore year?

School soccer is less demanding, cheaper, and kids can spend their evenings focusing on school work. Probably not a popular statement in this forum. I was very sad when my kid quit club soccer and I do miss it a little. The upside is that he is not as stressed out and his grades are getting better in high school.

If your kid is not in DA/ECNL, there's no point to continue to play club soccer by the time they reach sophomore year?

School soccer is less demanding, cheaper, and kids can spend their evenings focusing on school work. Probably not a popular statement in this forum. I was very sad when my kid quit club soccer and I do miss it a little. The upside is that he is not as stressed out and his grades are getting better in high school.

Team members who wear their jerseys to school on game days get nicer treatment from teachers and classmates (or so I have been told).

why do you say no point in continuing club?

My kid played DA for 2 years, he quit because he wanted to do track and play HS so we join a small club. went to Surf College showcase and after our coach got inquires about 5 kid on the team.
Team travel to Dallas Cup and the coaches were there to see them play. Same goes when they were in Chicago for ENPL playoff. June 15th they were all contacted by these coaches via email and text messages to setup time for phone calls. They are all juniors now.

My kid played DA for 2 years, he quit because he wanted to do track and play HS so we join a small club. went to Surf College showcase and after our coach got inquires about 5 kid on the team.
Team travel to Dallas Cup and the coaches were there to see them play. Same goes when they were in Chicago for ENPL playoff. June 15th they were all contacted by these coaches via email and text messages to setup time for phone calls. They are all juniors now.
I love this story. What year was he when this happened and on what level of a team? there is place for all kids, not just the DA and ECNL kids. Not everyone wants to play D1 they just want to play a sport they love

I love this story. What year was he when this happened and on what level of a team? there is place for all kids, not just the DA and ECNL kids. Not everyone wants to play D1 they just want to play a sport they love

After his Freshman year he just said he wanted to go play HS because and these are his own words he think its a waste of time because he will never be a pro player . Mom and I just said ok its your call, we were bummed because we were caught up in the hype of academy. whenever we would have soccer conversation with our friends that the first thing we would say, he plays academy. Found a really good FL1 team with like minded parents. The phone calls , text messages and emails are from some well rank colleges in soccer and academics. The main thing the coaches tell him and his teammates is grades, grades, grades!

why do you say no point in continuing club?

IMO, past your Freshman year, school gets very tough and if your child has not been called to an Academy team, chances are he is not that good to make it to Academy or college.

Don't get me wrong if he really loves the sport, go for it and do both.

Grades are more important for my family so my son didn't want to play club anymore because he was a mid tier Flight 1 player and didn't want to work hard at getting better. I'm saving $3k a year that's going towards his college funds :)

I was devastated but I am enjoying the lack of stress of managing grades, club schedule, and fees.

We are in a holding pattern for HS. Son made DA (had been in DA program before but not many minutes for him) so his thinking was I'll do DA until high school and then go play Varsity (coach really wants him, older boys have been welcoming, has lots of neighborhood friends etc and all reasons stated above). BUT he's getting lots of DA minutes, like starting and playing a ton thus far. He definitely wants to play in college and is pushing himself in school as well. Soooooo we don't know. Letting him decide for sure and he knows he will get much better on DA team BUT.....so many positives with hs. Thanks for sharing all of your stories...it's nice to read a thread that isn't filled with fighting but just has info and first-hand thought process.
It's such a shame DA does this.

Makes me wonder how all those kids played college soccer before DA?
Yes, DA has a good exposure but it's not the only way. There are plenty other opportunities, including playing HS and if your kid is good enough, he/she will get into college soccer.

You describe our exact experience.

@SoccerSway - wonder if you can explain your "dislike" to what is a pretty benign comment. It might not describe your experience but "dislike" w/o explanation seems, well, a bit odd. Of course, I never use "ratings" for that reason as I think being able to explain to another commenter why I disagree with something is preferable over a little thumb.

Back