HS Season and SCDSL Playoffs

volley

BRONZE
Freshman high school parent here with a question.

Our SCDSL fall league is concluded and HS non-league games start 11/18, but we still have SCDSL playoffs in two weeks. My understanding is if my child plays a club game during HS season, they would become ineligible under CIF-SS bylaws. Can anyone confirm I’m interpreting the bylaw correct?

My understanding is a little different, I thought kid can’t play any HS games until club season is over, but they can practice with HS team during end of club season. Once club season is over, kid is free to join the HS team (except for DA).

I have heard the same thing, but the game has to be considered an "official" HS match, which can mean different things. I don't think a "scrimmage" between teams applies.

You can practice HS and play club, but once the HS games have officially started, no more club play or training.

You may need a wiser person than me to answer this question.

Freshman high school parent here with a question.

Our SCDSL fall league is concluded and HS non-league games start 11/18, but we still have SCDSL playoffs in two weeks. My understanding is if my child plays a club game during HS season, they would become ineligible under CIF-SS bylaws. Can anyone confirm I’m interpreting the bylaw correct?

You're correct. Best to contact your school A.D. and let them know. A lot of people are seeing some overlap of the two but I think transparency is the key.

In the past (in San Diego Section, anyway) club players would stick with their club teams through the season, including post-season tournaments, and then would be free to join their HS teams without penalty. Violations, such as playing a club game after starting playing HS, result in a 2-game suspension for each game played in violation. Rules vary from Section to Section, so check with Section office or the school's AD.

Games played in a State or Regional ODP team or on youth national teams are excepted, but not DA games (which doesn't matter anyway, right?)

In the past (in San Diego Section, anyway) club players would stick with their club teams through the season, including post-season tournaments, and then would be free to join their HS teams without penalty. Violations, such as playing a club game after starting playing HS, result in a 2-game suspension for each game played in violation. Rules vary from Section to Section, so check with Section office or the school's AD.

Games played in a State or Regional ODP team or on youth national teams are excepted, but not DA games (which doesn't matter anyway, right?)
Note that playing in ODP competition during an individual's HS season of sport requires the appropriate paperwork to be submitted and approved some number of weeks in advance to avoid being ineligible upon return from the ODP competition. Check the CIF Southern Section Blue Book or the CIF San Diego Section Green Book appropriate to your situation for details.

If the High School game is deemed a scrimmage you can still play both (A scrimmage is defined as no score is reported and CIF is not assigning referees). A non league game will have the score reported and referees assigned, best to ask your coach what the classification is. Schools are allowed (2) scrimmages before Thanksgiving.

Good advice, but don't just trust the AD, read the rules yourself.

If the High School game is deemed a scrimmage you can still play both (A scrimmage is defined as no score is reported and CIF is not assigning referees). A non league game will have the score reported and referees assigned, best to ask your coach what the classification is. Schools are allowed (2) scrimmages before Thanksgiving.
An individual player's soccer season of sport commences with the first contest (game) in which the player competes, i.e. scrimmages don't count. That's why players can participate in HS scrimmages prior to Thanksgiving, play in club soccer college showcases over the Thanksgiving break and then play for their HS in games immediately after the break. This will be the second year in which the HS soccer season starts the week before Thanksgiving with a maximum of two scrimmages allowed. I've noted that HS coaches, for the most part, are only scheduling scrimmages before Thanksgiving so that they don't impact their club players over the holiday.

Your player is a freshman. Unless your player would end up on Varsity then no one cares. If you are that concerned just hold your player out until their club commitment is over. Also, I am not sure if Freshman soccer even plays scrimmages.

As mentioned, no one is tracking freshman. Scrimmages are going on and don’t count. Playoffs will be done before any games. Most kids are already in an unofficial soccer PE class and conduct practices. Again no one is going around and saying “got you”. Programs work in very tight schedules. Some coaches go from club to having less than 2 weeks to organize their high school teams - less if the admins already setup scrimmages in that time.

Back